Bryan Gil

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can be our Modric with a left foot

Would like him as a Central AMF, on his next loan, would be good if a club says they will fulcrum him…

Just not a fit here, except as Kulusevski backup and he won’t want that… 12 more months though, he may be smashing on the door of the first 11…

Wonder when he returns in the summer he might be given a chance in the LWB slot?

I don’t think that’s going to happen. Conte already sent him away because he didn’t have the physicality to play as a forward in the PL, no chance he would play him as a wing back. Would you really want him having to defend on the edge of the penalty box, blocking crosses, clearing balls at the back post etc? That’s not his game.

If Gil has a future here with Conte it’s as one of the players either side of Kane up front. Kulusevski is the same age as Gil and adapted to the physical demands of the PL instantly, he needs to get close to that level to stay here.

He didn't take part in Valencia's last game v Rayo Vallecano.

He still doesn't shoot enough, and tends to defer to others in the final third despite being more talented, and more likely to do something positive. His teammates usually either can't or won't play him a final pass in the final third. I lean towards "can't" more than "won't" as Valencia are not too good offensively and struggle to create chances. I hope he keeps becoming more selfish in possession, and looks to shoot more, and get into shooting positions more often.

Wasn’t that his problem with us? I recall literally dozens of examples where his teammates should have passed him the ball as he was in space and clearly the best option only to make the wrong decision. To be honest, sometimes I got the impression his teammates were intentionally not passing him the ball. It would infuriate me.

I don’t think that’s going to happen. Conte already sent him away because he didn’t have the physicality to play as a forward in the PL, no chance he would play him as a wing back. Would you really want him having to defend on the edge of the penalty box, blocking crosses, clearing balls at the back post etc? That’s not his game.

If Gil has a future here with Conte it’s as one of the players either side of Kane up front. Kulusevski is the same age as Gil and adapted to the physical demands of the PL instantly, he needs to get close to that level to stay here.

Completely different build and stature though.... Far less of an adaptation required.

Gil requires us to play the long-game.

Gold:

Gil was back in action after his hip injury with 74 minutes to his name as Valencia lost 2-1 at home to Osasuna in La Liga on Saturday. The 21-year-old was on the left wing and completed one key pass, one dribble and took one shot at goal in a subdued performance.

Valencia travel to Villarreal on Tuesday night with Gil and Lo Celso set to be reunited, but all eyes will be on this weekend when Gill will be hoping to line up in the Copa del Rey final against Real Betis on Saturday night.

The La Liga club will want Gil to be sharp for that match because he has quickly become a big part of their team with 12 appearances for the Spanish side, registering one assist since his switch from Tottenham.

There's an interview with our lad in Marca today, it focuses on tomorrow's Copa del Rey final between Valencia and Betis, with all the "I'm really excited" guff you might expect. He talks a little about Spurs, saying that we're a really competitive club that plays at an incredibly high level. This is the most interesting Q & A...

Q: Was it difficult to adapt to the Premier League?

A: It was hard in the sense that it was the first time that I'd gone to live abroad, with a different language. The rhythm in England is a bit higher, you need to be a bit stronger and that was hard, but I'm sure I'll adapt to it just fine.

Full interview in Spanish

Completely different build and stature though.... Far less of an adaptation required.

Gil requires us to play the long-game.
I really hope the club take this approach with him, seemed to have a good attitude and plenty of ability, he might not have pulled up any trees in a meaningful sense but he was playing in Nuno's dreaded "b" team for the most part.

Worry that maybe he's just not a Conte player though and on that basis could well be another club that benefits from him eventually clicking.

I really hope the club take this approach with him, seemed to have a good attitude and plenty of ability, he might not have pulled up any trees in a meaningful sense but he was playing in Nuno's dreaded "b" team for the most part.

Worry that maybe he's just not a Conte player though and on that basis could well be another club that benefits from him eventually clicking.

For me the long game might mean him staying out on loan until Conte leaves..... The fact that he was a Paratici buy (project?) gives me hope that we won't be too hasty.

He (Gil) knows the EPL level (energy, physicality etc.) now too; that ought to work in his favour as he now knows how high he needs to shoot.

There's an interview with our lad in Marca today, it focuses on tomorrow's Copa del Rey final between Valencia and Betis, with all the "I'm really excited" guff you might expect. He talks a little about Spurs, saying that we're a really competitive club that plays at an incredibly high level. This is the most interesting Q & A...

A: It was hard in the sense that it was the first time that I'd gone to live abroad, with a different language. The rhythm in England is a bit higher, you need to be a bit stronger and that was hard, but I'm sure I'll adapt to it just fine.

I hope that Gil still has someone who speaks English around him to help him with the language barrier. It wouldn't be ideal if he forgets the progress (I imagine) he made in his 6 months here with English while he's in his more comfortable Spain.

I never once got the feeling this nice little lad ever wanted to run away or regretted the move. Give him time and back him. He is not at all like the other tub of lard cry baby

:tanguyhuh:

Ta!
The impression I got from a previous interview was that he thought the EPL was a bit too tough for him.
Maybe his real feelings were lost in translation.
I watched him live in a ECL game and he was exciting.

That's a great quote. Really wondered if he was thinking about moving straight back to Spain given his performances at Valencia but this suggests otherwise.

He's great technically and just needs to add some strength to his game.

Yea he's played very wide and doesn't often find himself in front of goal. Switches alot from wide wing to wide wing though- very interesting player. I wish he were at a team that needed him to be a scorer though, and played him that way.

Yea he's played very wide and doesn't often find himself in front of goal. Switches alot from wide wing to wide wing though- very interesting player. I wish he were at a team that needed him to be a scorer though, and played him that way.
Why? He’s never been a goal scorer and probably never will be. He’s a ball carrier / LEFT winger

Gold:
Following heartbreak for Gil in the Copa del Rey final on penalties against Real Betis last weekend, the 21-year-old got just a single minute from the bench in La Liga at the weekend.

Gil had been struggling with a hip injury in recent weeks and that may have played a part in his single minute of normal time at the end of Valencia's 1-1 draw at home against Levante.

Despite that brief cameo, Gil has played a big part for the 10th-placed Spanish side with 14 appearances, registering one assist since his switch from Tottenham and the Valencia fans have chanted for him to stay longer.

Playing currently for Valencia, HT vs Celta winning 1-0.

Poor quality game and he's not been on the ball a lot, playing left wing/mid.

He's a hard player to assess really. I'm not sure he's got the strength or the pace to be a genuine winger in England but he's defo got ability as well as a good workrate and attitude. Could possibly turn into a Silva type player - small, skillful, nice touch - but I'm not sure he's composed or intelligent enough, not yet at least, he's still young and developing.

Edit: subbed off at HT, not sure if injured or tactical.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom