BT Sport Europe - Wed 20th Jul

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was there too. Remember thinking Ian Moores was going to be the bollocks after that.
Like Nutter Naylor says, God I was 12 going on 13 then and was going away games with the SSC and some with a older local geezer who used to go away with his mates in his mini van. He used to take me and my mate. They'd go their own way and we'd meet at the van after the game.
Still got my SSC membership card it has a pic of me with my school uniform on.
I doubt that would happen know, but in those days there were loads of kids my age at games on their own. Even a few like me and my mate at away games.
It would be great to see more kids at games by themselves like there was in those days.
Then again I never had a Dad to take me, he'd jogged on about 7 yrs earlier !
I suppose it was affordable too, about £1-£1.50 to stand then wasn't it?

Last edited:
£1 at most. I used to earn £17 a week in a part time job and used to go home and away!
I think my FA cup final ticket for the replay in 81 only cost £2.50.
I used to do a PT job also, dogsbodying in the shop downstairs, and used to get a £1 a week from my mother!
fuck me pair of old cunts we are.

I was 9 .So glad I was at that game.
My dad invited my mate along as well,as he had popped round my house that morning.
Shows how cheap "our" game was back then.My Dad was a wood machinist, not a high flyer.,
It was a £1 to go in the boys entrance on the corner of the Paxton and Worcester ave.
It had gone up from 70p the previous year,IIRC...To near riots!
Always amazed me the amount of kids that had beards,moustaches, side burns etc that followed Spurs.

I was 9 .So glad I was at that game.
My dad invited my mate along as well,as he had popped round my house that morning.
Shows how cheap "our" game was back then.My Dad was a wood machinist, not a high flyer.,
It was a £1 to go in the boys entrance on the corner of the Paxton and Worcester ave.
It had gone up from 70p the previous year,IIRC...To near riots!
Always amazed me the amount of kids that had beards,moustaches, side burns etc that followed Spurs.
fuck me your right. I seem to recall that. I think it was Highbury was £1.50 at that time.
If we go buy those prices and the rate of inflation etc, then that same £1 ticket should be just over £5 today.

fuck me your right. I seem to recall that. I think it was Highbury was £1.50 at that time.
If we go buy those prices and the rate of inflation etc, then that same £1 ticket should be just over £5 today.
Scary isn't it.And shows how we are being caned for our hobby.
It really started getting silly when the grounds went all seater.Gave the clubs the excuse to double the prices,but not change the product.

Last edited:
Ha ha... we're a right bunch of old gits nattering on about the 'good old days'! I was 20/21 yrs old around this time, so a fair bit older than most of you guys, and was probably a bit 'naughty' as they say, not because I was Mr Hardnut, but back in the day if you went to football you were inevitably involved in ructions, whether you looked for it or not. I'd go to some away matches, sometimes on my own and sometimes with a few mates... always a good laugh and quite often rowdy, especially around the train station in whatever shit town we were playing. Coming from south London (Peckham/Camberwell area) I had a couple of spurs pals, but we met up with a bigger group at The Lane made up of Spurs guys I'd met through work, and they'd bring their mates along. As has been mentioned, getting in was so simple.. turn up, hand over your money at the turnstile an in you went. For bigger, more prestigious matches you simply turned up earlier to ensure a place on the terraces. I still go occasionally when my sister has a spare (she's a season ticket holder, along with my nephew. I indoctrinated her VERY early in her life - the first words she said we're an approximation of 'Jimmy Greaves', my mum wasn't very amused!)
Anyway, I remember this season very clearly, battling for promotion with Bolton and Southampton, and for obvious reasons, this particular match. Was at the Dell for the final game of the season.. now that match (and subsequent carry on) was a right 'ding-dong' lol!

Scary isn't it.And shows how we are being caned for our hobby.
It really started getting silly when the grounds went all seater.Gave the clubs the excuse to double the prices,but not change the product.
Have they not noticed, especially at the Euro's, that all the fans that got lauded for their fantastic support were not sitting in their seats? Can you imagine 'will griggs on fire' or the iceland lot doing that sitting down?
The trouble with the old way was that it was unaccountable. There were sometimes too many people for the space. Turnstile jumping etc.
That cannot happen today with the system. You allocate one person to one place as you do with the seat. You cannot have too many people. It's also safer to stand up with a seat that is bolted up and a bar to lean on in front than it is with the back of a chair in you shins and no safety bar.
It's got to be the way forward for £10-15 a pop. It would mean a lot of people, especially younger, would have access to football and have a good time too.

Back
Top Bottom