Bundesliga

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Really strange attacking structure used by Nagelsmann, looks to me (and I'm 33 mins in) like a 4231 with Werner playing almost as a 10 and Olmo as the ARM and Nkunku as the ALM. Surely they'd be better with those with Werner as the ALM cutting in and Nkunku as the ARM with Olmo as the ACM?

Wasn't it the same system Jose came here with? When in possession 3atb with Halstenberg sitting narrow and Adams flying forward. Nkunku as wide left and Werner in some sort of Müller free role

Rough tackle in the Koln match, might be a red

Edit: yes, yellow was changed to a red
We got ourselves a red in the Union vs Mainz game as well.

Andrich picks up his second yellow late in the first half. And they had equalized fairly recently as well.

We got ourselves a red in the Union vs Mainz game as well.

Andrich picks up his second yellow late in the first half. And they had equalized fairly recently as well.
Despite being at 10 men, Koln are playing well. Have had some great chances, should have equalized.

Every Koln game I've watched has been fun.

Wasn't it the same system Jose came here with? When in possession 3atb with Halstenberg sitting narrow and Adams flying forward. Nkunku as wide left and Werner in some sort of Müller free role

You could well be right, I just didn't think it was quite right in forward areas, Werner is much better cutting in from wide areas and making runs in behind or in-between FB's and CB's than being trusted with the responsibility for any kind of build up playmaking in central/deeper areas- I think he's quite a one dimensional player, if you play to that one dimension he's very useful, but the rest of the time his game can be quite limited. Not that I've seen loads of him, but Olmo would have seemed the more natural fit for that role, no?

I don't even like Werner in that 442 much - even though he's been pretty successful in it, he looks much more like a wide forward in a 433 system type to me - which is I guess why Liverpool see him as a good fit for them.

I'm now 60 minutes in Olmo's gone off for Lookman. Like Wolfsburg on Leverkusen, Hertha doing a good job so far here....and as I type now RBL down to 10....

Hertha deserved a draw out of that game I guess. Torunarigha (22yo LCB) might be worth keeping an eye on, haven't seen much of him at all, but last couple of games of theirs I've watched he's been pretty competent - can't say more than that as I wasn't paying enough attention to him.

You could well be right, I just didn't think it was quite right in forward areas, Werner is much better cutting in from wide areas and making runs in behind or in-between FB's and CB's than being trusted with the responsibility for any kind of build up playmaking in central/deeper areas- I think he's quite a one dimensional player, if you play to that one dimension he's very useful, but the rest of the time his game can be quite limited. Not that I've seen loads of him, but Olmo would have seemed the more natural fit for that role, no?

I don't even like Werner in that 442 much - even though he's been pretty successful in it, he looks much more like a wide forward in a 433 system type to me - which is I guess why Liverpool see him as a good fit for them.

I'm now 60 minutes in Olmo's gone off for Lookman. Like Wolfsburg on Leverkusen, Hertha doing a good job so far here....and as I type now RBL down to 10....

I agree Werner isn’t a playmaker. I would expect the gameplan to be for Werner to run at goal from a deeper position hoping that the defenders were focusing on Schick. It worked better with Poulsen last time.

Yes, Olmo would be a better option as a classic playmaker. He played a similar role at Dinamo as well as CM. Only seen him play as LW and RW for Spains U21. Maybe Nagelsmann doesn’t feel Olmo has had enough games yet to be the focal point.

You’re right, Werner at Liverpool would be as a wide player.

I agree Werner isn’t a playmaker. I would expect the gameplan to be for Werner to run at goal from a deeper position hoping that the defenders were focusing on Schick. It worked better with Poulsen last time.

Yes, Olmo would be a better option as a classic playmaker. He played a similar role at Dinamo as well as CM. Only seen him play as LW and RW for Spains U21. Maybe Nagelsmann doesn’t feel Olmo has had enough games yet to be the focal point.

You’re right, Werner at Liverpool would be as a wide player.

Have you watched much of Torunarigha?

Are Wolfsburg like a German version of Burnley? Burnley with a boob job?
Not really. They usually play decent football, but with a clear target man in Weghorst. Edin Dzeko broke out there and De Bruyne as well.

So more like Burnley with Volkswagen backing them.

Back
Top Bottom