Burnley (A) 2/9 Sat 3pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely great day out. Got soaked by two blokes behind me who were drinking pints, when we got our 3rd goal. Should have had a penalty. Our support was brilliant, and it was us singing Tottenham get battered everywhere we go, not the Burnley fans as someone said earlier in the thread. Seeing Bissauma dancing to his song at the end was funny. Lovely day in the sun watching and singing we've got our Tottenham back.
Had to shower and change all my clothes as soon as I got home as I stank of beer.
COYS.
Superb mate.

Absolutely great day out. Got soaked by two blokes behind me who were drinking pints, when we got our 3rd goal. Should have had a penalty. Our support was brilliant, and it was us singing Tottenham get battered everywhere we go, not the Burnley fans as someone said earlier in the thread. Seeing Bissauma dancing to his song at the end was funny. Lovely day in the sun watching and singing we've got our Tottenham back.
Had to shower and change all my clothes as soon as I got home as I stank of beer.
COYS.

Proper ‘spurs’ day out. Sounds class

Anyone else constantly replaying Maddisons goal on MotD?
Great goal and an even better celebration.

Proper Yiid!
I don't, that's when I got fucking soaked with beer.
See Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Last edited:
Sounds like a normal game for you 😉.

Support came across brilliantly, as others have said did us proud.

I more impressed that the 2 fellas got in the stand with their pints while watching the game. Jeez, and they say its grim up north,, sounds perfect.

See you at the next home game 👍
Oh yeah, had plenty of beer myself, even had a go at the two blokes, though they were both two feet taller than me.
All ended with cuddles and handshakes.
See you in 2 weeks..

Thoughts on yesterdays game….

1. Thought we got off to a pretty slow start, not just because we went behind. In the first 20 mins our passing was sloppy and we didn’t press as a team very well. Credit to Burnley, they were well up for it, but it wasn’t our best start.
  2. Having said that, there’s a definite theme from all 4 league games where teams press aggressively in the first half, but look broken down and incapable of doing the same in the 2nd half.
  3. From 25 mins on we were in complete control and really dominant. That was evidenced by Burnley making a half time formation change. They knew they were in trouble.
  4. Romero has been the best CB in the league so far from what I’ve seen. He’s been unreal.
  5. To echo the comments of others, Sarr and Biss in particular were well below the levels shown so far this season. I think it’s actually very encouraging that we can play so well bearing that in mind.
  6. Maddison is so good. So good.
  7. I thought Manor was lively. Nice couple of assists and I actually thought he pressed really well too. He’ll be an asset this season.
  8. Porro wasn’t great for the first goal, but was excellent after that. Everyone talking about the ball for Son’s hat trick goal but I wanted to reflect on the first goal too. Porro played a lovely clipped pass over the Burnley defence after Son had spun his man. Now substitute Porro and Son for Emerson and Richy. 1) Emerson cannot make that pass. He doesn’t have it in his locker. 2) Richy doesn’t make that spin and run. He tries to take the ball feet (and on recent evidence loses it). Porro is imperfect defensively (albeit I don’t think Royal is great there either), but he has so many top class attacking attributes, I’m really glad Ange has been brave enough to play him and Udogie in the same side.
  9. Is Sonny back? Son has 2 elite qualities; his off ball running and his finishing with either foot. He can’t really beat the full back anymore which restricts his effectiveness in wide areas as we’ve seen for over a year now. I think it’s fair to say he’s going to fit this team better as a CF than wide forward. I still have some reservations about his hold up play in games where we’re playing top top sides, but no defence wants a player that quick and clinical making runs in behind.
  10. Ange really has implemented his tactics and system quickly. I look at Utd, who are yet to see the “ETH vision” nearly 15 months after he was appointed, it’s actually incredible how quickly the players have adapted to the new style of play.
  11. Last thing - I think everyone is getting understandably excited right now but I think it’s important we just focus on each game until the new year. No talk of top 4 / 5 or even more until we have a better feel for how this season pans out.

COYS

Last edited:
Ange really has implemented his tactics and system quickly. I look at Utd, who are yet to see the “ETH vision” nearly 15 months after he was appointed, it’s actually incredible how quickly the players have adapted to the new style of play.
I put this down to Ange's time as national team manager - both youth and proper. For the Australian NT it's very limited time with them, often a flight from the other side of the world into a camp into quite a hostile country, a few training sessions and then a competitive match. He got limited time with them, so the ability to communicate what you want in an extremely effective and efficient way is key.

The other thing I think he is that he chooses players that he feels already naturally tend to play in that way, so as to minimise the amount of adjustment necessary for the players. Harnessing ability and desire rather than trying to shape it too much.

The first game jitters aside, he's been outstanding. What a smart purchase.
He'll probably be our keeper until around 2035 too

Scary thought, but not in a footballing way 😅 . Statistically speaking I reckon around 15% of this forum will be in the ground by then.

I've got such a smile on my face this weekend. Still buzzin'

Excellent game yesterday.

Soloman did great, bit of a nervous start, but really grew into the game and got 2 assists. Amazing what happens when you can play someone who provides.

Unlike Kulu, who got in to some great positions then completely failed to find the final ball to someone inside the box. The only one I can remember was in the first half to Solomon who miss controlled it.

Son had a good game, but then Son actually got some service, especially a great pass from Porro/

Maddison had a great game and a lovely goal

Udogie, Bissouma, VdV, Porro, Sarr, Romero (What a goal) all had good games

The performance really dropped of when PEH and Perisic came on, it was like the who attack just suddenly died.

Royale, Skipp, PEH and Persic were all meh when they come and killed us going forwards.

Once again Richy got zero service when he came on, seriously, its ridiculous.

Shame about the 2nd goal, left a bitter taste in the mouth after such a good performance.

And I was reading the tread, why the fuck to people just turn into instant man babies after going a goal down after 4 minutes? Seiously, there is 86 minutes left, seriously, just grow the fuck up.

Waaaa waaa it's over.... win 5-2 sitting 2nd in the league, fecking babies.

Great win and its nice to blow away cannon fodder like we should.

As for kompany, who some on here actually thought would be good for us, if he continues to play like that with those players they are getting relegated fast.

Probably the first correct thing you've ever said in your life.

Yes, I absolutely do have an agenda:

To rid this club of a long-term stinking rot that's preventing it from achieving great things.

Or, ANYTHING, in fact.

The fact you think it's "bullshit" says it all.

Dippy bastards like you can fuck off as well.

Huge part of the problem.
Dippy bastards like me are the problem?? I didn't realize we wielded that much power, that we can actually affect how the team plays, who we buy, and how the team is managed.

See, what we want is for the team to perform in every game the way they did yesterday, regardless of who is running the club. The only thing you care about is who is running the club. Suit yourself, but in the end, you'll be the one that's constantly miserable, because the club ownership ain't changing anytime soon.

And do tone it down with the name calling. It just makes you sound desperate.

Ange really has implemented his tactics and system quickly. I look at Utd, who are yet to see the “ETH vision” nearly 15 months after he was appointed, it’s actually incredible how quickly the players have adapted to the new style of play.
playing good football isnt rocket science is it? get good footballers in, let them play and get them to work hard off the ball. very simple game. i thought i see stuff on ETH saying he trys to make the game too complex?

i think the most important area for a manager is his judgement on players. weve had soo many managers having superior players on the bench to the shit they put out... ange has come in and we havent seen dier! hes identified how much of a weak link he is straight away! thats something that should of been obvious, but the apparent world class managers weve had before couldnt see it?

systems only work if you have the right components. ange-ball wouldnt work with dier, sanchez, winks, davies..... its working because hes got 3 good footballers in midfield, a back 4 that can defend and can all actually pass a ball properly...its coming together nicely, hes not really done any out of this world science, hes just using common sense and not being a fucking idiot.

Conceding twice doesn't bother me, at least not as much as it should. We're an attacking force of nature and we'll out score most teams playing like this. A sixth with Richarlison scoring it would have been the cherry on the cake, but we shouldn't be greedy.
Was that due to changes with skipberg?

Back
Top Bottom