Burnley (H) 15/05 - 12PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But we still need to fight? Not just give up and say we say we played a game on Thursday. That is a shite and losers mentality. They players and coaches have to be up for every game and give 110%. There is only 1 game left. We could have made subs earlier if necessary. Other top teams manage it. We should not be using that as an excuse otherwise we never shift the mentality.
Dafuq are you banging on about?

Nigh in 70% possession, 21 shots, 8 on target, limiting them to 1 shot on target in the first half. They never tested Lloris once in the 2nd half. The only reason they didn't get 3 or more put past them was because Pope had a MotM performance.

Whether we gave 110% or not, we dominated the game with only 2 days rest.

Give up?

Put the crack pipe down you Lemon.

Is it just me?

We now have the MotD pundits saying the penalty was harsh, but watch Barnes. He's not off balance, he actually deliberately tries to make himself bigger when lunging bodily towards the ball. It's 100% a penalty.

They also tried claiming the the Spurs players didn't appeal, well I saw 2 put their hands up for the handball. Are they expecting them to stop when the ball is still live?

I'm mystified at the response to the handball. It might not have been hand to ball, but the arm is where it is in an attempt to make himself bigger. That's a nailed on penalty.

What is it specifically about Eriksen that makes him more unsuitable in a 2 man midfield than the likes of Bentancur, PEH, Skipp?

I'm a huge fan of what Eriksen brought to us during his five years or so, massive contribution, was the IQ conduit of that team, he's a great conduit when he finds himself time and space, but if he has a weakness it's that he's not great under the press - and we have enough problems with CM's like Hojbjerg and Bentancur without making it worse. As an 8 or AM he had less positional discipline imposed on him and the intelligence to find himself pockets of space to receive the ball. As a CM in a double pivot you just don't always have that luxury, you need to be more positionally disciplined, need to be able play through the press. And a lot of the job is water carrying.

He was having to do more of that kind of thing in his last 18 months, because we had non footballers like Sissoko in there, and was one of the reasons he was looking less happy or effective.

I really like the fella, but I think he needs the right environment, like most players, and I just don't think we are it for him under Conte - unless Conte decides to play a different system, which he's shown no signs of doing thus far.

Maybe when chasing a game but I’m not convinced eriksen can play in the midfield 2 in the system conte has been playing. If we change to a 3-5-2 he would be perfect or maybe in the kluo role in the 3-4-2-1.
Maybe anyone who watch eriksen at inter under conte could enlighten us on where he was played?

He tried him as an ACM in a 3412 type system but gave up on it and second season used him more as an 8 in the 352 they played most of the season.

Thank god for Ashley Barnes. That was predictably a massive shitshow. We looked shattered late on (understandably) and Pope was having one of those games. One of those games that had banana skin written all over it so you don't care how you get 3 points, just that you get them.

Totally! Bent had a few good games but last 2 months his looked pretty ave tbh. Not great in creating or defending.

He has the ability I agree but I wonder if his heart is really in it

But has a good fanbase on here clearly

Bentancur will get stuck in and win the ball. Eriksen rarely/never does.
Pros and cons to both

He occasionally does and again occasionally puts a decent ball forward but not enough for me

He all too often makes the safe ball

His shooting is appalling

I'm a huge fan of what Eriksen brought to us during his five years or so, massive contribution, was the IQ conduit of that team, he's a great conduit when he finds himself time and space, but if he has a weakness it's that he's not great under the press - and we have enough problems with CM's like Hojbjerg and Bentancur without making it worse. As an 8 or AM he had less positional discipline imposed on him and the intelligence to find himself pockets of space to receive the ball. As a CM in a double pivot you just don't always have that luxury, you need to be more positionally disciplined, need to be able play through the press. And a lot of the job is water carrying.

He was having to do more of that kind of thing in his last 18 months, because we had non footballers like Sissoko in there, and was one of the reasons he was looking less happy or effective.

I really like the fella, but I think he needs the right environment, like most players, and I just don't think we are it for him under Conte - unless Conte decides to play a different system, which he's shown no signs of doing thus far.

He tried him as an ACM in a 3412 type system but gave up on it and second season used him more as an 8 in the 352 they played most of the season.
How did Conte utilise him at Milan?

I believe he didn't get much game time early doors under him, but I believe he used him quite extensively later in his tenure?

Different system or did Eriksen adapt?

If he adapted, then surely he is definitely worth the punt, or is there just far less pressing in the Italian league?

I don't watch any, so I'm genuinely interested.

Don't remember this tackle...

FS04_rgWYAEFOBT

Standing%2BDouble%2BFoot%2BStomp.gif

A deserved win, as Burnley's 1st half spoiler tactics were shameful, and it made me laugh at the sense of urgency that they suddenly discovered in the 2nd half.
How typical though, that Hugo was booked for timewasting, and nothing for Nick Pope.
The 2nd half showed that Burnley can actually play decent football, and I think we'd have struggled if they came at us a bit earlier, and I can't understand why a team that is looking relegation in the eye, would sit back like that.
Pope was amazing, and definitely kept it tense for us.
Well done lads; "Let's be havin' you!!" at Norwich. COYS

How did Conte utilise him at Milan?

I believe he didn't get much game time early doors under him, but I believe he used him quite extensively later in his tenure?

Different system or did Eriksen adapt?

If he adapted, then surely he is definitely worth the punt, or is there just far less pressing in the Italian league?

I don't watch any, so I'm genuinely interested.

When he first arrived in January, from what I saw, Conte tried using him as an ACM in a 3412, but it didn't really work for various reasons, he already had a system in place and tinkering with it didn't really help, it was halfway through a season, Eriksen arrived in a bit of a funk too.

Second season he found more use for him, particularly second half of the season I think, as an 8 in the 352.

Don't worry, I'm not going to write a novel this time.
Not the most enjoyable of games, TBH, but today was all about capturing all three points. Thought it was going to be one of those games, with Pope playing as well as he did. Not sure why it took so long to make the decision re the penalty, but thank goodness the ref made the right decision. If my life depended on a penalty kick, I would want H to take it (not that I ever actually look!)
All in all, it wasn't a bad performance, not great either, and we did look a bit leggy and tired, which was understandable.
Loved the lap of honour at the end, think sometimes we forget that these are young family men, and not robots.
Now to practice my Geordie accent and become an honorary member of The Toon Army, just for tomorrow night.

Don't worry, I'm not going to write a novel this time.
Not the most enjoyable of games, TBH, but today was all about capturing all three points. Thought it was going to be one of those games, with Pope playing as well as he did. Not sure why it took so long to make the decision re the penalty, but thank goodness the ref made the right decision. If my life depended on a penalty kick, I would want H to take it (not that I ever actually look!)
All in all, it wasn't a bad performance, not great either, and we did look a bit leggy and tired, which was understandable.
Loved the lap of honour at the end, think sometimes we forget that these are young family men, and not robots.
Now to practice my Geordie accent and become an honorary member of The Toon Army, just for tomorrow night.
Please tell me your one that turns your back and closes your eyes when the pen is being taken!? 😁

A deserved win, as Burnley's 1st half spoiler tactics were shameful, and it made me laugh at the sense of urgency that they suddenly discovered in the 2nd half.
How typical though, that Hugo was booked for timewasting, and nothing for Nick Pope.
The 2nd half showed that Burnley can actually play decent football, and I think we'd have struggled if they came at us a bit earlier, and I can't understand why a team that is looking relegation in the eye, would sit back like that.
Pope was amazing, and definitely kept it tense for us.
Well done lads; "Let's be havin' you!!" at Norwich. COYS
the reason teams like burnley, the old stoke have this defensive/time waste style for 70mins most games is they believe keep the score 0-0 or be 0-1 even 0-2 behind until the 70 min mark then the attacking team will be thrustrated and nervous and chances will come Burnleys way using high balls into the box and winning the second ball, if they get 1 goal back then the attacking teams really panic's

Fuck me the shit you have to read on here.

It appears we have already turned on Bentancur and decided we have to bring back Eriksen, the bloke who couldn't be fucked to move above walking speed for the last two seasons he was here.

Yesterday was all about grinding out a result, I went without any expectations of watching a football feast and was only interested in getting the win.
Having two days rest and apparently a stomach virus was far from ideal but a fantastic job by the players to put all that aside to give everything for a tricky win.
We’ve had so many VAR decisions go against us this season so to see them go in our favour is a pleasing sight and hopefully a 98th minute penalty tonight for Newcastle to secure a win would make the Gooners even more salty..

Overjoyed with the result and all the pressure is back on the young pups of Woolwich.. I’m fullly expecting them to crumble under the pressure

Fuck me the shit you have to read on here.

It appears we have already turned on Bentancur and decided we have to bring back Eriksen, the bloke who couldn't be fucked to move above walking speed for the last two seasons he was here.

Tbf I personally wouldn’t mind Eriksen back on a free.

But not at the expense of Bentancur, who has been an excellent signing.

Not even sure how Bentancur or Eriksen are comparable. Bentancur is neat and tidy but mostly gets all over the pitch tracking runners, breaking up play etc. Eriksen on the other hand is an out and out creative passer.

If Eriksen did come back we would almost certainly play a 3 in the middle with a holding MF, Bentancur and Eriksen each doing their own thing to create balance.

Back
Top Bottom