Burnley Vs Tottenham - Weds 23rd Feb - KO 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Similar ish sure, although again with the caveat of a significantly lower wage budget. But the point was we now have our new, long term (we hope) manager in place and he needs similar backing to Arteta who got 120m in net spend during the summer. Otherwise what's the point?

Not sure what path you're taking this down... Not for a split second have I suggested we shouldn't back Conte in the summer.

Gotcha. But the point stands that starting XI wise, they're looking a lot healthier than us. Their depth isn't great (and a few of our players would be useful to them) but that starting 11 is well balanced and fits the managers ideas.

We're back to square one..... A subjective debate as to who has the best XI individuals....... You rate some of their lot higher than I do. Touche....

Not sure what path you're taking this down... Not for a split second have I suggested we shouldn't back Conte in the summer.

We're back to square one..... A subjective debate as to who has the best XI individuals....... You rate some of their lot higher than I do. Touche....

I just think you're valuing 'Conte coached' a little too highly is all. Coaching has limits, even Guardiola or Klopp needed to bring in players who fit. They can improve those if they're in the right mould, but Conte just being here for 2 years with the same players doesn't necessarily mean a much better team if they aren't the type of players he requires. Klopp was never going to do much with Jose Enrique or Sturridge for example, they didn't fit the bill. Same with Guardiola and a keeper like Hart.

Fair enough.

I just think you're valuing 'Conte coached' a little too highly is all. Coaching has limits, even Guardiola or Klopp needed to bring in players who fit. They can improve those if they're in the right mould, but Conte just being here for 2 years with the same players doesn't necessarily mean a much better team if they aren't the type of players he requires. Klopp was never going to do much with Jose Enrique or Sturridge for example, they didn't fit the bill. Same with Guardiola and a keeper like Hart.

I'm certainly not thinking management in isolation.... Over time comes refinement; fitness, coaching, tactics, relationships (player/coach & player/player) and of course recruitment.

Arse's balance and coherency is very much a byproduct of time rather than individual quality; be that manager or players.

Every season we revert to type and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I have followed this club for over 60 years, but now I fell weary, really ,really weary.

Will listen to Leeds on the car radio as I'm off to Bournemouth on Saturday, but I have no enthusiasm for the game. Another defeat ends any pretence we had as a top four side, a victory will not remove the scepticism.

Levy will continue his obsessive control over our club and turn the Lane into a Sport and Leisure income stream.

Beat Leeds and Everton on the other hand . . . . . . :contelol:

Where are those who said this would be a walk in the park and that having beaten City this would be easy?

Zero knowledge of this club or too much faith. Probably both but I bet none come on and admit they got it sadly wrong.

Where are those who said this would be a walk in the park and that having beaten City this would be easy?

Zero knowledge of this club or too much faith. Probably both but I bet none come on and admit they got it sadly wrong.

Likely no-one did.... Stop pretending you're clever.

Lack of options.

Even all your suggestions are all hopes and moving guys into positions that they don't naturally play because we don't have a variety of players to fit roles that we need.

Against Burnley we see again another massive indictment of how poorly our team is constructed.

Against a parked bus we had no player in the starting 11 or on the bench that can unlock a defense with passing. Kane was the closest but of course then the problem is we are missing someone up front to convert chances.

Down a goal we had zero options on the bench to bring in to help with goal scoring. Bergwijn and Moura both who have struggled to score in the PL were our top 2 options.

Also down a goal we had zero options in midfield or attack to bring on anyone who can change our attack, formation, tactics.

Conte hasn't all of a sudden lost all football sense he has gone to a team where tactics mean nothing because of the squad he has available.
I agree that his options aren't great, and that my suggestions aren't ideal, but for fuck sake we have to try something different, trying to win football games over and over with Winks and Hojbjerg flanked by Emerson and Sessegnon is beyond the point of insanity.

Fortunately staying in a hotel near Burnley so haven’t got the five hour drive home. We are doing a bit of a northern tour-going to Leeds on Saturday then on to Middlesbrough on the Tuesday. Suckers for punishment.
And yes, it was shit.
COYS!!!!!

Worth a coffee in Hebden Bridge, if passing by...

It's to do BOTH.

You play 3 CB's to allow the wing backs the security to play further up the pitch.
You play 2 CM players who are able to tackle who will be more likely to drop back than the wing backs when the ball is lost. In this scenario, with the wing backs still a little further forward, when the ball is won back, there is a quick outlet for them to use.

Look at this image to show the typical starting position and movement direction of players in a Conte 343 formation that works.
1 of the 3 CB's stays almost exclusively back. Yesterday for us that seemed to be Dier. Numerous times Romero and Davies were on the edge of the Burnley box.
The Wing backs will hover around the halfway line and only come back if required. When we didn't have the ball. the 2 CM were close to the back 3, but the 2 wing backs were still out quite wide.

All of our problems in this system are coming from the low quality wing backs we have. Royal and Sessegnon are not good attacking players at all. Swap them for Roberts, Walker, Cancelo, TAA etc and we would be causing any team massive amounts of trouble. It's not even that those players are better, it's that they actively try to attack. Sess and Royal get 10 yards over the halfway line and shit the bed then pass inside. Every single time.

Chelseas-3-4-3.png
Showing your true colours there arent you - ffs!

It's fn 5 at the back not fn 4 in MF. When we have the ball the idea is the FB gets forward more - but he is a fn back and is expected to defend when we don't have the ball.

It's is, has been and it shall be ever more the case.

Showing your true colours there arent you - ffs!

It's fn 5 at the back not fn 4 in MF. When we have the ball the idea is the FB gets forward more - but he is a fn back and is expected to defend when we don't have the ball.

It's is, has been and it shall be ever more the case.
Everybody is expected to defend when we don't have the ball.

Back
Top Bottom