Burnley Vs Tottenham - Weds 23rd Feb - KO 19:30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You think we played well ????
At times yes. Nowhere near consistent enough though. Burnley were always going to be a harder than people give them credit for. You need a goal to force them to open up.We were never getting a result once they scored, we don't have that creative player to unlock Burnley's 2 blocks of 4.
So maybe "played well" was over egging it a bit ,but against another more open side,we would have got a result.Not good enough i know. But despite their league position, Burnley are not as easy to beat as many thought. They get a lot of draws.

Wow so you've never played - the role of a back is to defend. The wing back gets more of an option to go forward when we have the ball, generally with the idea when we loose the ball he gets the fck back to defend. Whether they are shit or not is irrelevant they are both fn full backs by trade.
It's to do BOTH.

You play 3 CB's to allow the wing backs the security to play further up the pitch.
You play 2 CM players who are able to tackle who will be more likely to drop back than the wing backs when the ball is lost. In this scenario, with the wing backs still a little further forward, when the ball is won back, there is a quick outlet for them to use.

Look at this image to show the typical starting position and movement direction of players in a Conte 343 formation that works.
1 of the 3 CB's stays almost exclusively back. Yesterday for us that seemed to be Dier. Numerous times Romero and Davies were on the edge of the Burnley box.
The Wing backs will hover around the halfway line and only come back if required. When we didn't have the ball. the 2 CM were close to the back 3, but the 2 wing backs were still out quite wide.

All of our problems in this system are coming from the low quality wing backs we have. Royal and Sessegnon are not good attacking players at all. Swap them for Roberts, Walker, Cancelo, TAA etc and we would be causing any team massive amounts of trouble. It's not even that those players are better, it's that they actively try to attack. Sess and Royal get 10 yards over the halfway line and shit the bed then pass inside. Every single time.

Chelseas-3-4-3.png

At times yes. Nowhere near consistent enough though. Burnley were always going to be a harder than people give them credit for. You need a goal to force them to open up.We were never getting a result once they scored, we don't have that creative player to unlock Burnley's 2 blocks of 4.
So maybe "played well" was over egging it a bit ,but against another more open side,we would have got a result.Not good enough i know. But despite their league position, Burnley are not as easy to beat as many thought. They get a lot of draws.
I'm with you - the score is masking a lot, it was actually a decent game of football with both teams trying to win the game.

Same players beat city though?
Winks didn’t come on at HT and City play a totally different system

We’ve had two amazing results
City and Leicester but most of our games we’ve been poor precisely because most of our players aren’t good enough but you didn’t accept that with Jose and you kept blaming him
But these same players are about to get their 4th major manager sacked soon

You just don’t get it

Got to comment on a few people having a pop at Contes’ tactics and why he is persisting with wing backs. With the players available , what the hell is supposed to do. Our midfield doesn’t contain a maestro that can open up teams with a pass , so the options are pretty limited. I’m sure his first priority in the TW was to address the wing backs issue but that was fruitless , so he has to make do with what he has.
As poorly as we performed last night , there were a number of occasions when the wing backs had acres of space and time to create something , only to fail miserably.
Since his arrival , Conte has improved many individuals performances , but there’s only so far you can go down that root. I think he now realises that , with a few exceptions , the squad is loaded with players that are not good enough for what is required and way below what he is used to.
His public comments , I’m sure is a direct challenge to Levy to open up the purse strings to allow him to completely rebuild his squad , but we all know from history , that would go against the grain for Levys’ usual behaviour
If Levy does not back him , and he walks , it does not bear thinking about the mess that would leave us in. How the hell would the club pick themselves back up from that scenario?
Also the shitstorm that would ensue from the supporters would make life for Levy , very uncomfortable , to say the least.
It’s going to be a very interesting few months to see what happens , I only hope Levy understands that he is responsible for this mess and acts accordingly . We can only wait and see , but I for one am very concerned at the moment. COYS !!

It’s not mentality - it’s being riddled with inconsistent, championship level frauds like PEH, Royal, Winks, Sanchez, Sess etc

Fake, faux footballers

Those exact same players beat City, twice, drew with Liverpool and should have won, went 9 games unbeaten initially. Their biggest problem is not being able to perform week in week out.

Edit - and the wing back positions yesterday were both the worst i've seen all season. They seemed worryingly reluctant t get forward and affect the game

No i dont rate Moura or Hojbjerg. I'd sell both in the summer if we can. Skipp i like but its his first full season. The 2 new signings have just shown up and its too early to judge. Romero seems decent but is obviously weak in the air. Our squad outside of the front 2 is no better than Wolves or Villa.

Take WH and Arse's 2 best players and we're discussing a similar drop off...... See Kidderminster or Forest games.

How far do Wolves or Villa drop in the table if you take away their best 2?

Those exact same players beat City, twice, drew with Liverpool and should have won, went 9 games unbeaten initially. Their biggest problem is not being able to perform week in week out.

Edit - and the wing back positions yesterday were both the worst i've seen all season. They seemed worryingly reluctant t get forward and affect the game
And? They are inconsistent. Consistency is the big differentiator between players at different levels…..

Their baseline performance is championship standard. They can play at PL at times and look ok, but generally they are below the level of 95% of PL players. Cunts

Take WH and Arse's 2 best players and we're discussing a similar drop off...... See Kidderminster or Forest games.

How far do Wolves or Villa drop in the table if you take away their best 2?

West Ham maybe ... and if that's the bar then we are in a horrible situation.

Woolwich without their 2 best players (Who are these? They have an all round pretty strong team.) would whip our side without Kane and Son.

West Ham maybe ... and if that's the bar then we are in a horrible situation.

Woolwich without their 2 best players (Who are these? They have an all round pretty strong team.) would whip our side without Kane and Son.
Their 11 is strong as a unit. We are the opposite, they binned their frauds such as Mari, Chambers, PEH, Kolasinic, holding and the German keeper. We still have five or so frauds polluting our 11

Back
Top Bottom