Bury FC.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still think lower league clubs from league 1 & below should keep most of the profit from the domestic cup games when they play premiership teams. Maybe 80/20.

Hi all-lifelong Shaker (55) here.

We are in a bit of a pickle, at Gigg Lane with our previous owner vastly over-spending and our new one proving 'difficult' to say the least. Suffice to say we have a winding up order deferred to the 19th June and have started a crowd funding appeal.
I've been watching Bury all my days, and have seen Bury play every club competitively, apart from yourselves, the other North London lot, Villa and West Ham. We did have a two year spell in the 2nd tier, where we got to see alot of sides we wouldn't usually play against!

Obviously we will never play you in the league, but to play you in the Cup would be something special!

Bury can be a cracking day out fantastic including
www.eastlancsrailway.org.uk vintage steam and diesel railway.

If you can please help keep the dream alive, fivers, tenners and more if you can feel you can run to it!

Click here to support Forever Bury - Saving Bury Football Club organised by Forever Bury

Thanks in advance for any help.j

Just read on the BBC site that Joy Hart, a former director of the club, has handcuffed herself to the drainpipe outside the office. It's really sad to see that the club could be gone in 48 hours, I really hope something can be done.
Apparently Steve Dale has been turning down offers that would save the club because he doesn't feel the offers are high enough.

I really feel that with so much money coming in from the premier league the FA should be doing more to support clubs in the lower leagues and work with owners to ensure they're run properly. I also think they should have some sort of emergency fund to make sure that players and staff are paid if a club falls into financial dire straits like this.

Kind of puts into perspective a bit when we're constantly moaning about having one of the best-run clubs in the country!
Which is why you will not hear me moan about what we've been doing.

I've got mates who support a wide spectrum of clubs and every one of them has commented that they think we are possibly the best-run football Club that's not owned by a Sovereign wealth fund or a corrupt Oligarch.

Thanks for your support guys.
Looks like we are going into admin after a meeting tonight.
12 points deduction, but hey-ho we'll still have a team to watch.;
Dale and Day the less said the better!

Talking from experience when my local club Hereford United died late in 2014, the record of games played that season was expunged, meaning any points gained by other teams against Hereford were lost, and every week one team didn't have a game to play.

Then a few individuals worked in conjunction with the Hereford United Supporters Trust (HUST) to set the wheels in motion to form a new club. for the following season, 2015/16. Prior to this, in the summer of 2014 Hereford had been kicked out of the National League Premier and had to drop two divisions to the Southern League Premier, due to not being able to satisfy the National League board that they had the necessary finance in place to complete the season. Because Hereford were in the Southern League Premier (tier 7 of the football pyramid) when going bust, the reformed club had to drop even further, to the Midland Premier, tier 9 of the pyramid. This is because the FA have a rule that all reformed clubs have to start at least 2 levels below where they were when they went bang. Effectively Hereford got relegated 4 divisions in little over a year.

The huge support for that level meant that Hereford were far greater than all the clubs at their new level, and achieved 3 promotions in three years, before eventually levelling out in the National League North (level 6). A lot of fans believe they have a divine right to go up again, but this is a really competitive league and I can't see Hereford getting out of it for some time, but at least there's still a club playing in the same stadium, in the same colours, with nearly the same name (the new club doesn't have "United" in its name).

I hope that Bury can do something similar, but my mate who is a Bury fan has fears that a phoenix club might not even be able to play in the town of Bury. Their stadium is currently owned by a company that does bridging loans, and the stadium is on prime development land. If the club goes bust, there's a possibility that it'll get sold off to a developer, rather than kept as a football stadium. Their supporters trust is in negotiations with this company, and apparently talks have gone ok, but I feel he's probably stringing them along.

If they can't get their stadium back then they'd have to groundshare with a smaller club in a neighbouring town, but that would likely see support drop off, and that's usually the difference that helps these clubs climb up through the lower leagues. They could end up doing a Scarborough, who played in Bridlington for 10 years, and never saw the kind of progress usually enjoyed by phoenix clubs.

I think their best bet is that somehow they're saved and somebody turns their fortunes around, but it's looking very very unlikely now
My non league team - King’s Lynn, is another Phoenix club in the same league. They went bust in 2009 pretty much “doing a Leeds” trying to get to a level that they probably weren’t ready for. I used to go regularly when there was a real risk that they would go under. By the time I moved away from the town and stopped going they were still going. However not long after the tax man wound them up for what seemed like a paltry amount and there was no football for the rest of that season. They were reformed when the local speedway empresario talked the council into letting him have the ground for a peppercorn rent. A reasonable amount of resentment from the fans ensued, but so did 3 promotions since then. Never as champions though.

They now play in the National League North and have had a pretty decent start to the season. I really should go and see them at least a couple of times a year but life seems to get in the way.

Bury AFC, the phoenix club launched after Bury’s expulsion from the Football League, will begin life next season in the 10th tier of the English pyramid.

The North West Counties Football League has approved an application from Bury AFC for them to join the league next season.

Really good news !

Bury are back - albeit restarting in lower leagues but under fan control

Fans picked up the keys to the ground yesterday - although a few obstacles still to be overcome, surely things cannot unravel at 11th hour.

Just read on the BBC site that Joy Hart, a former director of the club, has handcuffed herself to the drainpipe outside the office. It's really sad to see that the club could be gone in 48 hours, I really hope something can be done.
Apparently Steve Dale has been turning down offers that would save the club because he doesn't feel the offers are high enough.

I really feel that with so much money coming in from the premier league the FA should be doing more to support clubs in the lower leagues and work with owners to ensure they're run properly. I also think they should have some sort of emergency fund to make sure that players and staff are paid if a club falls into financial dire straits like this.
Dale is total and utter lying cunt, he bought Bury for a £1. How the EFL let the sale go through is beyond belief.
Drove past the ground today and saw her, gave her a toot of the horn in support.
UTS.

Dale is an absolute charlatan. 8 of the last 10 businesses that he has purchased have been liquidated. The EFL did absolutely no background check on him when they okayed the purchase.

I guess Bury has to have a bit of the blame for mishandling their finances to begin with, but everyone that has seemingly offered to help (good intentions or not) since have fucked them over it seems. Dale by being a lying cunt, the EFL for not double checking on who they greenlit to purchase the club.

Last edited:
Bury gone. What a huge shame

Ultimately I blame the FA. Their fit and proper policy is really just fattened coffers. Any old tycoon can buy a club these days, milk them for all they’re worth, and feed the leftovers to the dogs.

Yes the clubs have a degree of responsibility, but the FA are clearly uninterested in anything other than riding the gravy train. Portsmouth, Blackpool, Notts County, Bolton, Bury...it’s a sad state of affairs.

It seems like there’s very little to stop a corrupt individual from draining a club dry. Greed is eating football. It won’t be long before there’s only the Prem and Championship left in England.

And people in here think our whole world has ended because of a run of poor results, I would rather have the chance of seeing a shit result than never to see my team ever again...

They have had their floodlights took away. So they have cancelled a home pre-season friendly. Today they played Nantwich and everyone on Burys team-sheet was names as Trialist. What a shame. Never had a great support base but they are a old Club. A good Club too.

Back
Top Bottom