But Erik Lamela

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree. Love Lamela, love his attitude. He's not a starter but an excellent squad player. We need excellent squad players so it doesn't make sense to get rid.

We also severely lack any form of playmaker at times - most teams just sit deep against us, we need more creative players like Eriksen and Lamela and less physical players like Sissoko, Dier and Wanyama.

He's been with us for quite some time, but he continues to divide opinion. Has his time come to an end? Bardi takes a look at the scrappy Argentine forward.

Read article

Excellent article. Now is the right time for him to go, we can thank him for his services and wish him well. It will become terribley stale for him if he stays. And the discussions around him have become pretty tiresome. He doesn't do enough talking on the pitch so some people feel the need to do his talking for him. He'll never be a regular starter and in the prime of his career he needs to go somewhere and be the main man.

When I constantly watch Son not even bother to run back to cover the full back, leaving him stranded with two men at the back stick, I’m always calling for Lamela.

When I see Lamela fail to get in goal scoring positions and add any dimension to our attack, I’m always calling for son.

Lamela, like son, has qualities. However again like Son he is only really suited to certain matches.

When I constantly watch Son not even bother to run back to cover the full back, leaving him stranded with two men at the back stick, I’m always calling for Lamela.

When I see Lamela fail to get in goal scoring positions and add any dimension to our attack, I’m always calling for son.

Lamela, like son, has qualities. However again like Son he is only really suited to certain matches.

the article is about Lamela and Tottenham
can you imagine if it was a player like Pedro or even Oxlade Chamberlin, couple of players I can think of in similar price range?, we got instead of Lamela

Excellent article. Now is the right time for him to go, we can thank him for his services and wish him well. It will become terribley stale for him if he stays. And the discussions around him have become pretty tiresome. He doesn't do enough talking on the pitch so some people feel the need to do his talking for him. He'll never be a regular starter and in the prime of his career he needs to go somewhere and be the main man.
As soon as I saw the title of this article I knew you'd be here.

Give it a rest. He's going nowhere.

Lamela came on last night and kept the ball very well. Controlled the game and starved Watford of the ball. He has a job, does it well and is a great bench option at the moment.

Pochettino obviously trusts him massively. Since his return he's played a part in 24 matches. Despite certain posters saying he wouldn't see a single minute more.

Our front 4 are massively influential and Lucas Moura will be adding hugely to that depth next season. Lamela will still have a role to play off the bench and in games like Juve and Chelsea away where Poch trusted him to start. Poch obviously see's Lamela has a certain skillset for such games.

Do not agree with the article at all. For me there are other players that should be shown the door this summer.

His attitude is spot on, he has an energy on the pitch but for me he needs to improve his decision making, too often holding on to the ball for too long or not picking the obvious pass, it's what eriksen does so well.

I think people are off the mark if they think a player can come back after a year out through injury and without an extended run in the team be expected to suddenly turn the form on, that will not happen.

Son is just as guilty of inept performances, was off it in the cup semi final and again last night was a shadow of his usual self, difference being son has had runs in the side and has had time to show his potential.

When I watch Son not even bother to run back to cover, I’m always calling for Lamela....When I see Lamela fail to get in goal scoring positions... I’m always calling for son.
If only we could find a way to breed the pair of them!

:lamelaaghh::sonlol::lamelashock::sonpoint:
ERIKSON!!!
:eriksenserious:

Last edited:
Do not agree with the article at all. For me there are other players that should be shown the door this summer.

His attitude is spot on, he has an energy on the pitch but for me he needs to improve his decision making, too often holding on to the ball for too long or not picking the obvious pass, it's what eriksen does so well.

I think people are off the mark if they think a player can come back after a year out through injury and without an extended run in the team be expected to suddenly turn the form on, that will not happen.

Son is just as guilty of inept performances, was off it in the cup semi final and again last night was a shadow of his usual self, difference being son has had runs in the side and has had time to show his potential.

Kane is just as guilty of inept performances, was off it in the cup semi final and again last night was a shadow of his usual self, difference being Kane has had runs in the side and has had time to show his potential.

This article does absolutely nothing to put to bed what he does or doesn't do. I completely disagree with almost every part of it.

Bardi Bardi even mentioned last nights game, I guess that's what has triggered the article, when he came on he buzzed around with the ball, ready to pass, but to who? Absolutely no option was open to him, so he had to hold on it, and go back to find a Spurs shirt to lay it off to. Why did this happen? We managed the game, we didn't over commit and do a "Spurs" and push for another goal and concede one in the process, we sured-up and whilst incredibly boring, it was arguably our best spell of the game, we turned the final 15mins into a training session and shut out a determined Watford, who didn't get a sniff during this spell, game over. Now this didn't play into the hands of Lamela who got on the ball with intent.

Comparison has been made of Son, well Son was largely shite last night (I love Son, so this is not a bashing session on him) but he's been quite poor last few games, looks a great threat looking to take players on but not delivering that final ball or shot and what started as an amazing opportunity lately has just fizzled out to nothing.

Lamela defines what Pochettino Spurs is, he is the snarling bastard, he is the press, he is everything that Son isn't. (Again I love Son). Last night we didn't press (nothing from Kane, nothing from Son, = Dele and Eriksen ain't pressing solo), because we didn't press Watford got on the ball and this is where out initial pressure came from. We didn't put any pressure on the ball at all. Lamela guarantees you this and I fucking love it.

Will pick Bardi Bardi up on "mysterious" injuries, what was fucking mysterious about them, don't tell me you are going down the faking his operations shit. His first injury he got after he signed with us was a broken vertebrae, just a minor run of the mill broken back injury that you see players jog off nowadays, come on mate, don't go down this road please. His injures have been really frustrating and have been long and ultimately defined his career with us.

I have a concern that we don't have cover for Eriksen, we have been so fortunate that he hasn't suffered any injury with us, but I have a hunch that he can cover his role, I'd love to see if he could do that. It might also enable to have Eriksen and Lamela on the pitch together, as I think this season in particular Eriksen has been more dangerous for us when he's dropped deep. I'd like to see Eriksen in deeper pockets, whilst pushing Lamela up as a 10. If Dembele is also dying slowly then this becomes a solution to the loss of Dembele (sheds tears). So that's Kane up top, Lamela behind, Dele to the left, Son (or Lucas) to the right with Eriksen behind (Eriksen backed up by Dier or Wanyama), FB's push on wide. One hell of a sexy diamond(s).

His identity is clear for me, he's our press trigger, he's our bastard, he's the player that slaps the likes of Rose and tells them "it's possible", he's the player that has no doubts in his head, he's creative, and he's a big game player. He can play as a 10, he can play on inside right, he's also been asked to play CF (which I don't think worked at all). Defensively he tracks back, if we are sticking with the munchkin as RB next year then Lamela has to start to cover the RB frauds inefficiencies, something that I'm not sure Lucas will do. This is his identity, no other player typifies Tottenham's high pressing, aggressive and creative football than Lamela, he is Pochettinho's bastard Tottenham, something we've missed last couple of games too.

Last edited:
Lamela wants the ball all the time and tries to be positive. Weirdly dragging the ball with the bottom of his foot like he’s been futsal training all his career, which I don’t understand.
I wouldn’t know his best position. Number 10, wide player, Eriksen’s role?
I actually really like that he tries to have a positive impact, and looks like he loves playing footy. Would like him to get a couple of starts before end of season.

the article is about Lamela and Tottenham
can you imagine if it was a player like Pedro or even Oxlade Chamberlin, couple of players I can think of in similar price range?, we got instead of Lamela

Personally think Lamela shits all over ox and Pedro is on 100k a week which isn’t feasible for us to pay squad players. Ox is on 120k per week.

No doubt lamela was supposed to be a star when we signed him but he’s become a very handy squad player. There’s not many players we could sign who would be happy to be in and out the team and on the wages we would like them to be on.

There is no way we will ever sign players like ox or Pedro because they are not obvious improvements on alli, eriksen and son and would demand wages higher than all 3.

I think this 'squad player' narrative is patronising for such a player. He has been plagued by misfortune that would have destroyed lesser players. He has only just come back ffs, have we all forgotten this? The season before he was injured was fantastic and he rightly deserved his starting place. I hope he is back to his best next season as his energy and positive playing is something we miss

This article does absolutely nothing to put to bed what he does or doesn't do. I completely disagree with almost every part of it.

Bardi Bardi even mentioned last nights game, I guess that's what has triggered the article, when he came on he buzzed around with the ball, ready to pass, but to who? Absolutely no option was open to him, so he had to hold on it, and go back to find a Spurs shirt to lay it off to. Why did this happen? We managed the game, we didn't over commit and do a "Spurs" and push for another goal and concede one in the process, we sured-up and whilst incredibly boring, it was arguably our best spell of the game, we turned the final 15mins into a training session and shut out a determined Watford, who didn't get a sniff during this spell, game over. Now this didn't play into the hands of Lamela who got on the ball with intent.

Comparison has been made of Son, well Son was largely shite last night (I love Son, so this is not a bashing session on him) but he's been quite poor last few games, looks a great threat looking to take players on but not delivering that final ball or shot and what started as an amazing opportunity lately has just fizzled out to nothing.

Lamela defines what Pochettino Spurs is, he is the snarling bastard, he is the press, he is everything that Son isn't. (Again I love Son). Last night we didn't press (nothing from Kane, nothing from Son, = Dele and Eriksen ain't pressing solo), because we didn't press Watford got on the ball and this is where out initial pressure came from. We didn't put any pressure on the ball at all. Lamela guarantees you this and I fucking love it.

Will pick Bardi Bardi up on "mysterious" injuries, what was fucking mysterious about them, don't tell me you are going down the faking his operations shit. His first injury he got after he signed with us was a broken vertebrae, just a minor run of the mill broken back injury that you see players jog off nowadays, come on mate, don't go down this road please. His injures have been really frustrating and have been long and ultimately defined his career with us.

I have a concern that we don't have cover for Eriksen, we have been so fortunate that he hasn't suffered any injury with us, but I have a hunch that he can cover his role, I'd love to see if he could do that. It might also enable to have Eriksen and Lamela on the pitch together, as I think this season in particular Eriksen has been more dangerous for us when he's dropped deep. I'd like to see Eriksen in deeper pockets, whilst pushing Lamela up as a 10. If Dembele is also dying slowly then this becomes a solution to the loss of Dembele (sheds tears). So that's Kane up top, Lamela behind, Dele to the left, Son (or Lucas) to the right with Eriksen behind (Eriksen backed up by Dier or Wanyama), FB's push on wide. One hell of a sexy diamond(s).

His identity is clear for me, he's our press trigger, he's our bastard, he's the player that slaps the likes of Rose and tells them "it's possible", he's the player that has no doubts in his head, he's creative, and he's a big game player. He can play as a 10, he can play on inside right, he's also been asked to play CF (which I don't think worked at all). Defensively he tracks back, if we are sticking with the munchkin as RB next year then Lamela has to start to cover the RB frauds inefficiencies, something that I'm not sure Lucas will do. This is his identity, no other player typifies Tottenham's high pressing, aggressive and creative football than Lamela, he is Pochettinho's bastard Tottenham, something we've missed last couple of games too.

I wanted to like this and agree to it twice. Spot on for me.

Do the Maths:

2015/16 - 70 points with Lamela
2016/17 - 86 points without Lamela
2017/18 - somewhere between the above two when Lamela plays a partial role in the season

The numbers clearly show we're better without him.

Being tough/dirty/having an edge etc are important qualities for CBs or DMs but less so for attacking players. The ability to change games, make things happen, score goals etc are more important for forward players.

You really don't understand Poch at all. You talk like he's obsessed with some simplistic gangbam pressing style. That's just one tactic amongst many. We were a more simplistic team in 2015/16 but evolved and developed into a more possession based team in the following season and were a much better team for it, a better team without Lamela. Better at counter attacking with the likes of Son.

Lamela has been given a lot of chances to become a starter again but hasn't taken them. He hasn't really had a single league game where he was the standout player, or do we have to continue with this bullshit that he still needs time because he's coming back from injury? Will this continue next season? And if a player really takes a season to recover from an injury them is that player really worth keeping?

I think when we do sell him and you see him playing in another team you'll be able to see the reality of the player he is. If he were in the opposition side, would he cause you sleepless nights? I think not.

Do the Maths:

2015/16 - 70 points with Lamela
2016/17 - 86 points without Lamela
2017/18 - somewhere between the above two when Lamela plays a partial role in the season

The numbers clearly show we're better without him.

Being tough/dirty/having an edge etc are important qualities for CBs or DMs but less so for attacking players. The ability to change games, make things happen, score goals etc are more important for forward players.

You really don't understand Poch at all. You talk like he's obsessed with some simplistic gangbam pressing style. That's just one tactic amongst many. We were a more simplistic team in 2015/16 but evolved and developed into a more possession based team in the following season and were a much better team for it, a better team without Lamela. Better at counter attacking with the likes of Son.

Lamela has been given a lot of chances to become a starter again but hasn't taken them. He hasn't really had a single league game where he was the standout player, or do we have to continue with this bullshit that he still needs time because he's coming back from injury? Will this continue next season? And if a player really takes a season to recover from an injury them is that player really worth keeping?

I think when we do sell him and you see him playing in another team you'll be able to see the reality of the player he is. If he were in the opposition side, would he cause you sleepless nights? I think not.
Question...

Why did he start away v. Juventus and Chelsea?

Back
Top Bottom