Buy or Grow?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would you prefer?

• Promoting and using players like Sterling/Edwards/CCV/KWP (assuming they were ready)

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • Buying ready-made and experienced players like Douglas/Zaha/Barkley

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Signing other team's young prospects, like Iheanacho

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
Just as an interesting concept, I thought I'd ask the question and see what the consensus is.

I'm always excited to see our academy lads pre/post season, but in the past it hasn't meant much. Even in Ledley's testimonial, Oduwa came on and scored, but we barely saw him again. Same with Couthirst and the rest.

Even so, with Kazaiah getting in on the action today, would you prefer that over signing a player? After all, that's how Kane found his way through - despite being unimpressive in his cameos beforehand.

It's hard to see how we'll give Edwards, CCV, KWP, Tracey and Sterling (as examples) a chance if we keep buying replacements for their positions, so the question is this:

If Poch said "Sterling will be our third striker" and/or "Edwards will step up and play more football - we do not need to bring in another player" and so on, would you object or accept? This is all from the point of view of having only the above options, not a vanilla mix of them.

(The names are just examples to show the kind of player I mean)

Obviously, some combination of both but if it is a theoretical one option choice, I go for experience.

We need to continue to progress and players challenging for spots is good competition, we have champions league next season and need reliable depth, and need to understand that the others will be really trying to strengthen this summer.

If options 1 and 3 involved developing these players and KEEPING them when they reach their peak, helping the club to win titles, then that's my vote.
If it means developing these players and SELLING them for a profit when they reach their peak , before we win titles, then option 2 gets my vote.
So, going with my gut instinct, I voted for the middle one

Option 2 = upper mid-table mediocrity to me.... See Liverpool of the last decade.

The purist in me loves Op.1, but I'd vote Op 3 as you at least have the scope to shop about and address positions accordingly whilst still developing them in the clubs image.

EDIT: I think the EPL is too strong to run a pure Ajax-like model.

Last edited:
Id prefer option 1 if the players were good enough, if Sterling or Edwards are as good as Bernardo Silva or have the potential to be as good then yes although I have no idea if Kane and Winks are typical or atypical of our future production. Home grown players better understand the club and connect with the fans although the likes of Verts have been wonderful servants.

As they probably won't be I guess it will be a combination of all. I have already said we need to get Sessegnon done, he has amazing potential, while City are trying to steal Kyle Walker we should ask for Patrick Roberts. A few other top youth players would be good, Moussa Dembele might now be out of our price range.

I would like one or two more proven players, Keita or Seri to add to the midfield, that extra bit of star quality that is almost guaranteed to shine, maybe even someone like Mertins or Alves if possible just for a year or two if the price is right.

Main thing to avoid is last minute levy time and end up having to buy anyone (Sissoko) to cover squad holes.

why-not-both-mexican-girl-why-not-both.jpg

you do all three.
option 1 depends on the kids you have available. if you can supplement this with option 2, all the better. (take into account the likes of loftus-cheek are paid a bloody fortune)
oprion 2 has a lot of factors, including fee, wages etc, but it dont mean you shouldnt do it if its the right player and rght price.

Back
Top Bottom