Cameron Carter-Vickers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How has he played yesterday and today?
Well.
Gold:
1st half
Cameron Carter-Vickers
A couple of loose early passes mixed in with some Alderweireld-style long balls upfield. Didn't do much wrong defensively though. 6
2nd half
Cameron Carter-Vickers
A dominant performance at the back in the second half and Birmingham struggled to get by him on the deck or in the air. 8

Well.
Gold:
1st half
Cameron Carter-Vickers
A couple of loose early passes mixed in with some Alderweireld-style long balls upfield. Didn't do much wrong defensively though. 6
2nd half
Cameron Carter-Vickers
A dominant performance at the back in the second half and Birmingham struggled to get by him on the deck or in the air. 8
Diamond geezer!

Do you think he looked good enough to hold onto this season then instead of sending him on loan again?

I must say I thought he was a lost cause.

No.

He would be 5th choice at best, 6th if Foyth stays. He was fine but didn’t show anything to indicate he was at PL, if he plays in the PL it would likely be for a relegation team at best,

I hope it does help to get us a decent sale to a Championship side though.

Do you think he looked good enough to hold onto this season then instead of sending him on loan again?

I must say I thought he was a lost cause.
He's definitely worth holding onto over the start of the season and the heavy fixture congestion. In part because we will just need bodies to throw out there, and he is good enough to play in the cup and against EL qualifying opposition. The transfer window is extended a few weeks for loans/sales to the Championship and such.

The question is if we loan him out again or just sell him. He is on the final year of his deal so maybe he can earn himself an extension so that we can get some okay coin for him.

Brian mentioned sending him to Birmingham which isn't a bad idea. But Karanka has already gotten George Friend in who he had as a player at Boro so I dunno if he cold get many minutes there.

Luton loved him so there is definitely interest for him in the Championship.

He's definitely worth holding onto over the start of the season and the heavy fixture congestion. In part because we will just need bodies to throw out there, and he is good enough to play in the cup and against EL qualifying opposition. The transfer window is extended a few weeks for loans/sales to the Championship and such.

The question is if we loan him out again or just sell him. He is on the final year of his deal so maybe he can earn himself an extension so that we can get some okay coin for him.

Brian mentioned sending him to Birmingham which isn't a bad idea. But Karanka has already gotten George Friend in who he had as a player at Boro so I dunno if he cold get many minutes there.

Luton loved him so there is definitely interest for him in the Championship.

I don't see why we would loan him and not just sell him.

He is behind Foyth and Tanganga for young guys, behind Toby, Sanchez, Dier for first team options and we have been linked with adding another CB- whether the Korean guy, Skriniar or another player- and he would likely be behind them as well.

He doesn't appear to have much more room to grow and right now is not at a PL level and certainly not for a team with top 4 aspirations. He is coming off a good year in the Championship. is young-ish so should be appealing to many teams in the Championship that we can get something for him.

I don't see why we would loan him and not just sell him.

He is behind Foyth and Tanganga for young guys, behind Toby, Sanchez, Dier for first team options and we have been linked with adding another CB- whether the Korean guy, Skriniar or another player- and he would likely be behind them as well.

He doesn't appear to have much more room to grow and right now is not at a PL level and certainly not for a team with top 4 aspirations. He is coming off a good year in the Championship. is young-ish so should be appealing to many teams in the Championship that we can get something for him.
I was thinking that we could in a normal year maybe get something like 10 mil for him from a Championship team. But COVID has most likely emptied a lot of Championship coffers so I am not sure we could get that for him right now.

So I was thinking it would be worth it in the long run to extend his deal and give him another loan, possibly with an option to buy in hopes of a bigger fee next summer.

He's been really good for the hatters but there's no way they could conjure up £10m. I've no objection to having him stick around and help out in some of the less taxing games but I imagine he'd prefer to be a bigger fish in a small pond.

I was thinking that we could in a normal year maybe get something like 10 mil for him from a Championship team. But COVID has most likely emptied a lot of Championship coffers so I am not sure we could get that for him right now.

So I was thinking it would be worth it in the long run to extend his deal and give him another loan, possibly with an option to buy in hopes of a bigger fee next summer.
I think the loan market will be pretty robust this year given the circumstances you mention. Possibly even next year. Most football clubs operate with the thinnest of margins...tons will be totally skint at the moment.

Cameron Carter-Vickers has been playing the best football of his fledgling professional career in 2020 and Tottenham and Jose Mourinho will have to make a decision on what comes next for him.

Mauricio Pochettino took a liking to the central defender and declared after watching him play that he could develop into "one of the best centre backs in England".

For one reason or another, Carter-Vickers did not fully make the breakthrough under Pochettino so he was sent out on loan - five of them in total.

Born in Southend but becoming a USA international through his basketball-playing father's nationality, the young defender learned his trade in the Championship.

In just three seasons, he has played for Sheffield United, Ipswich, Swansea, Stoke and Luton Town.

He's had varying degrees of success during each of the loans but has learned plenty from each club and it was with his last spell at the Hatters where he hit new heights.

Carter-Vickers joined the struggling club in January and ended up being credited as one of the major reasons, along with the arrival of his Stoke boss Nathan Jones, for tightening up the defence and helping Luton escape relegation from the Championship.

The young centre-back has brought that form and experience with him into pre-season where Mourinho has given him plenty of minutes and he's impressed.

His performances in the Championship means he will be a wanted man and just 22 can only improve. Luton boss Jones hinted this week that the club could not afford to bring him in permanently.

There are two sides to the next chapter for the defender. On one side he is a homegrown player and with Tottenham's ridiculous schedule of potentially nine matches in 20 days, with Carabao Cup and Europa League matches two days apart, Carter-Vickers could prove to be very useful in the weeks ahead.

Mourinho could feasibly use the young defender for the first month of the season and then let him move on during the bonus Premier League to EFL window in October, having put him in the shop window in the preceding weeks.

Carter-Vickers has just a nine months left on his deal, although most Spurs player contracts contain an option for another year.

Another loan move is unlikely and with Spurs needing extra funds to finance their spending in this transfer window, the decision could be made to cash in on the USA international.

Mourinho could also decide that he likes what he sees but with Toby Alderweireld, Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Japhet Tanganga at centre-back, Juan Foyth currently still at the club and Ben Davies able to play there, Carter-Vickers is unlikely to get minutes once the busy first month of the campaign passes.

He will likely play again this weekend as Tottenham travel to Watford and then a decision must be made.

Cameron Carter-Vickers has been playing the best football of his fledgling professional career in 2020 and Tottenham and Jose Mourinho will have to make a decision on what comes next for him.

Mauricio Pochettino took a liking to the central defender and declared after watching him play that he could develop into "one of the best centre backs in England".

For one reason or another, Carter-Vickers did not fully make the breakthrough under Pochettino so he was sent out on loan - five of them in total.

Born in Southend but becoming a USA international through his basketball-playing father's nationality, the young defender learned his trade in the Championship.

In just three seasons, he has played for Sheffield United, Ipswich, Swansea, Stoke and Luton Town.

He's had varying degrees of success during each of the loans but has learned plenty from each club and it was with his last spell at the Hatters where he hit new heights.

Carter-Vickers joined the struggling club in January and ended up being credited as one of the major reasons, along with the arrival of his Stoke boss Nathan Jones, for tightening up the defence and helping Luton escape relegation from the Championship.

The young centre-back has brought that form and experience with him into pre-season where Mourinho has given him plenty of minutes and he's impressed.

His performances in the Championship means he will be a wanted man and just 22 can only improve. Luton boss Jones hinted this week that the club could not afford to bring him in permanently.

There are two sides to the next chapter for the defender. On one side he is a homegrown player and with Tottenham's ridiculous schedule of potentially nine matches in 20 days, with Carabao Cup and Europa League matches two days apart, Carter-Vickers could prove to be very useful in the weeks ahead.

Mourinho could feasibly use the young defender for the first month of the season and then let him move on during the bonus Premier League to EFL window in October, having put him in the shop window in the preceding weeks.

Carter-Vickers has just a nine months left on his deal, although most Spurs player contracts contain an option for another year.

Another loan move is unlikely and with Spurs needing extra funds to finance their spending in this transfer window, the decision could be made to cash in on the USA international.

Mourinho could also decide that he likes what he sees but with Toby Alderweireld, Eric Dier, Davinson Sanchez, Japhet Tanganga at centre-back, Juan Foyth currently still at the club and Ben Davies able to play there, Carter-Vickers is unlikely to get minutes once the busy first month of the campaign passes.

He will likely play again this weekend as Tottenham travel to Watford and then a decision must be made.

Mind-blowing that he's still only 22.... Seems to be shaping up nicely and v.experienced for his age..... I'd give him a new deal and get him another loan; promising that there's a pathway here for him.

Mind-blowing that he's still only 22.... Seems to be shaping up nicely and v.experienced for his age..... I'd give him a new deal and get him another loan; promising that there's a pathway here for him.
I think it's probably make-or-break for CCV this season.
If Mourinho thinks from pre-season and watching him in training that CCV may be able to play at PL level, then we'd be foolish not to keep him in the first team squad. Our early season schedule is insane, and there will be injuries.
Given CCV has far more competitive experience than any other of our Academy / Development Squad defenders, and he'll count as Club Home Grown so is effectively a free selection in our squad, he could do an important job for us in an emergency.
And if he takes that opportunity and proves he can play at this level, that would be great for CCV and the club.
I think it's similar to the Ryan Mason situation, where Mason was 22-23 when he got his first team chance, except CCV's loans have generally been more successful than Ryan's.
I'd extend his contract by a season and keep him in the squad at least until the window closes, and then see what happens.
Also, I stand to be corrected, but it's rumoured CCV is on £20k per week, so only Championship clubs and above could afford him.

I always thought the one thing holding CCV back, especially for a Pochettino team, was his passing out from the back - however, under Mourinho he won't really have that problem. So I do wonder if he has made enough of an impression on Mourinho to perhaps see use for him.

He was very very good at youth level, though I do put a lot of that down to him being more physically developed than players his age (same reason why Chelsea tend to dominate youth football, why Onomah looked great etc.) - he's a big old lump CCV and puts his body on the line.

If Mourinho thinks from pre-season and watching him in training that CCV may be able to play at PL level, then we'd be foolish not to keep him in the first team squad. Our early season schedule is insane, and there will be injuries.
Given CCV has far more competitive experience than any other of our Academy / Development Squad defenders, and he'll count as Club Home Grown so is effectively a free selection in our squad, he could do an important job for us in an emergency.
And if he takes that opportunity and proves he can play at this level, that would be great for CCV and the club.
I think it's similar to the Ryan Mason situation, where Mason was 22-23 when he got his first team chance, except CCV's loans have generally been more successful than Ryan's.
I'd extend his contract by a season and keep him in the squad at least until the window closes, and then see what happens.
Also, I stand to be corrected, but it's rumoured CCV is on £20k per week, so only Championship clubs and above could afford him.

Re: Mason I think being a CB means slightly later development....

Otherwise I wouldn't be against him staying either, but bearing in mind we have Tanganga (& maybe Foyth) too + numerous links to other CBs; any more than 1 'project' CB in the squad would be a significant hindrance to the others.

Agree with all that.

Having played about 100 matches in the Championship at age 22 is very unusual at a young age - and his last loan at Luton showed that he so significantly reduced the rate at which goals were being conceded before he arrived (which resulted in them losing the majority of matches) that they only lost 2 matches in the 2nd half of the season, turning losses into sdraws and wins.

All of which would put into the very top tier of Champiionship CB's who PL clubs should be thinking as to whether he should be a PL level CB - but nobody knows precisely as he's been loaned out for 4 years. Certainly he's looked up to standard we need in pre-season matches - but these are not competitive matches against top sides so its really difficult to tell.

With our ludicrous fixture list, right from the start and in fact all the way through if we stay in EL, we will need a larger squad than usual to cover injuries.

ATM, for UEFA purposes our maximum squad size is 23 plus Rose and CCV (the only Club trained players good enough to make the cut) to make 25 players in the squad (plus Tanganga, White and Cirkin and any others as qualifying u21's - Foyth does not).

Not sure that Rose will stay, but I think it makes good sense to keep CCV in the squad to have 24 players plus u21's to deal with the frequency and number of matches we have - at least for the first month and then let JM evaluate again. There is a domestic transfer window allowing transfers/loans of players from PL clubs to EFL clubs operating for about 2 weeks until mid October which could be used to place him into an EFL club.

The other point which you make well is that his contract comes to an end in June 2021 and with his wages rumoured to be £20k pw, I doubt if we get much for selling him in EFL.

Is Sanchez fit? He says on official site ' I’m training well, I’m feeling fine, I’m getting fit and I’m trying to get to my best form so I can show my best for the team because they need to see me at my best level," he explained.'
Not featured yet. What does that mean that is not yet fit? With doubts about Foyth as well and Davies needed at LB I think a decision on CCV should be delayed until end of September but if Sanchez is fit and Foyth not going then CCV should be offloaded.

Back
Top Bottom