Carabao Cup Fourth Round - Tottenham Vs Chelsea - Tuesday 29th Sept, 7.45pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair from Jose.

The fixture schedule is a farce and we have to prioritise. The EL group stages is worth way more than this tin pot cup (though I would love to win it)

Ultimately our hand was forced by the fixture schedule.

All the clamouring for a new striker was actually for this very period when he could be useful, if we end up getting one at the close of the window it will still be nice but we will be settling into a normal Thurs/Sun routine which which is fine for a squad of our size.

The lack of a signing up front means it will take a minor miracle for us to go through tomorrow and that is most likely the first silverware opportunity surrendered.

Even with a new striker, the fixture schedule has made it nigh on impossible - and that's with the bye against LO.
I would agree and I've always said this competition is shite. It's proven by even Championship sides fielding their kids, stadiums (when fans could go to games) were 75% empty.

Yet Poch got destroyed for say much less than Jose. Just would like to see those that took Poch to task show up and do the same here.

No bothered we will be playing a rotated side for this. Rest Harry surely, have him on the bench and bring him on for 20-30 if it's tied I suppose.

We've all said from the start that winning the Europa League is our #1 priority this season. Rotation tomorrow is what that looks like.

Maybe...

Aurier-Foyth-Toby-Reguillon
--------Sissoko-White----------
---Lamela-Dele-Sessegnon---
--------------Lucas---------------

Just sit deep and try and hit them on the counter.
Actually, swap Clarke in for Lamela. Would be good to get the boy some minutes at least to try and get some attention for a loan.

I would agree and I've always said this competition is shite. It's proven by even Championship sides fielding their kids, stadiums (when fans could go to games) were 75% empty.

Yet Poch got destroyed for say much less than Jose. Just would like to see those that took Poch to task show up and do the same here.
Poch didn't have the schedule Jose faces currently.

I do think it's a trophy that isn't respected like the others, but we shouldn't turn our noses up. However, we currently can't tackle that due the schedule and injuries piling up.

Fair from Jose.

The fixture schedule is a farce and we have to prioritise. The EL group stages is worth way more than this tin pot cup (though I would love to win it)

Ultimately our hand was forced by the fixture schedule.

All the clamouring for a new striker was actually for this very period when he could be useful, if we end up getting one at the close of the window it will still be nice but we will be settling into a normal Thurs/Sun routine which which is fine for a squad of our size.

The lack of a signing up front means it will take a minor miracle for us to go through tomorrow and that is most likely the first silverware opportunity surrendered.

Even with a new striker, the fixture schedule has made it nigh on impossible - and that's with the bye against LO.

I asked this in another thread, but what size should our squad be?

We've got 26 (27?) players......

When did Poch face 3 games in a week.....? Or 5 in 12 days or whatever lunacy this is....?

This is not a Jose issue.

When did Poch face 3 games in a week.....? Or 5 in 12 days or whatever lunacy this is....?

This is not a Jose issue.
In fairness, the squad depth was worse than now, although I would agree that there is a big difference between 1 and 2 games midweek
Losing at home to Woolwich in his first(*) season was very painful, but when a few days later we beat City 4-1 at home I felt ecstatic

Tomorrow's game to me is beyond normal squad rotation. It's just close to impossible. But let;s see what happens

Edit: probably my memory is failing me; it was the second season

I asked this in another thread, but what size should our squad be?

We've got 26 (27?) players......

It's more related to the fixture schedule than the squad size.

I don't think we have a weak squad but playing 3 games in 5 days is ridiculous really.

That being said, I listed my predicted team earlier and we are still able to field plenty of internationals, we will just be severely weakened when compared to our starting XI. This will not be the case for Chelsea.

All about importance and priority so we shall see.

I cannot see how any football organisation believes this is acceptable scheduling.

And let us not forget we got the bonus of the Orient postponement.

There is something always seemingly set up against us, whether it is ourselves or the authorities.
It isn't fair at all. But its not fair european teams get a bye either.

In fairness, the squad depth was worse than now, although I would agree that there is a big difference between 1 and 2 games midweek
Losing at home to Woolwich in his first season was very painful, but when a few days later we beat City 4-1 at home I felt ecstatic

Tomorrow's game to me is beyond normal squad rotation. It's just close to impossible. But let;s see what happens

Numerically, was the depth any less? Not so sure about that..... Quality-wise; that's a rather expansive debate further dependent an what season we compare to.

Let's also remember Poch made a 'statement of policy' that he didn't think much of the domestic cups..... Jose has simply said:

'I would like to fight but I don't think I can'

The post I responded to said this vindicates Poch....... I don't think that's true.

It's more related to the fixture schedule than the squad size.

I don't think we have a weak squad but playing 3 games in 5 days is ridiculous really.

That being said, I listed my predicted team earlier and we are still able to field plenty of internationals, we will just be severely weakened when compared to our starting XI. This will not be the case for Chelsea.

I keep reading that our squad isn't big enough to compete on 4 fronts.... You mentioned squad size; therefor I asked.

Depending on how you slice it, considering we just had a buy; we're talking one extra game... Anything but ideal still, but I'd like to think a solution can be found without essentially conceding defeat.

Numerically, was the depth any less? Not so sure about that..... Quality-wise; that's a rather expansive debate further dependent an what season we compare to.

Let's also remember Poch made a 'statement of policy' that he didn't think much of the domestic cups..... Jose has simply said:

'I would like to fight but I don't think I can'

The post I responded to said this vindicates Poch....... I don't think that's true.
I cannot disagree with you re Poch's approach to domestic cups, although in that phase of our growth I was super happy with Top 4 and CL every year, even if it came at the cost of some sacrifice (not so many to be honest) in the domestic cups . But make no mistake, when we lost to Woolwich I was furious).

Now it's a different phase, and it's good to start getting some trophies in the bag.
I love what Mou said about tomorrow's game and I would be worried if he went full strength for that one, as infuriating it will be to lose to those cunts. Who knows? maybe we can make something epic happen even with a weaker line up!

I cannot disagree with you re Poch's approach to domestic cups, although in that phase of our growth I was super happy with Top 4 and CL every year, even if it came at the cost of some sacrifice (not so many to be honest) in the domestic cups . But make no mistake, when we lost to Woolwich I was furious).

Now it's a different phase, and it's good to start getting some trophies in the bag.
I love what Mou said about tomorrow's game and I would be worried if he went full strength for that one, as infuriating it will be to lose to those cunts. Who knows? maybe we can make something epic happen even with a weaker line up!

Re: The Woolwich game - I was too; but don't think Poch fully appreciated the rivalry at that early stage....

Poch didn't have the schedule Jose faces currently.

I do think it's a trophy that isn't respected like the others, but we shouldn't turn our noses up. However, we currently can't tackle that due the schedule and injuries piling up.
Poch avoided the fixture congestion we are facing now because he qualified us in Champions League!!

Jose finished in 6th last year (our joint lowest in 11 years), but his dog died halfway through the season so I guess it's the dog must also take some of the blame.

"injuries piling up"??? What!? You mean Son?

Back
Top Bottom