Carlos Vinicius

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm not so sure - I think his skillset matches exactly what we need for that role. Big, strong, quick, can play with back to goal and link play. That's what we need in a Kane backup.

Just a shame that he isn't a proper youngster and comes with a fat pricetag... maybe will be held against him when it comes to deciding if he stays permanently. If he was more of an unknown/punt type player it would be a no-brainer, but his success in other leagues has meant that it's not so easy.
We need someone that can also play as a WF, a more natural goal scorer with pace, like a poor man CR

I’m on the fence re Vinicius as although he’s probably the best back up we’ve had in a long time he’s also very limited in comparison to Kane. Now I know Kane is world class but I’m more on about his style of play in comparison to Kane.

Vinicius:

pro’s - strong and can hold the ball up.
neg’s - he’s not a natural finisher (used to be a centre back), not particularly quick and has nowhere near the vision or passing range of Kane

To flourish in our team you need to be:

A clinical finisher, crisp passer and have excellent vision. These are 3 things Vinicius lacks.

If possible I would to see him either start in place of Kane (rest him) or alongside him in a Premiership game. Only then can we judge whether or not he’s got the attributes to succeed with us and justify his potential £50m? fee.

I’m on the fence re Vinicius as although he’s probably the best back up we’ve had in a long time he’s also very limited in comparison to Kane. Now I know Kane is world class but I’m more on about his style of play in comparison to Kane.

Vinicius:

pro’s - strong and can hold the ball up.
neg’s - he’s not a natural finisher (used to be a centre back), not particularly quick and has nowhere near the vision or passing range of Kane

To flourish in our team you need to be:

A clinical finisher, crisp passer and have excellent vision. These are 3 things Vinicius lacks.

If possible I would to see him either start in place of Kane (rest him) or alongside him in a Premiership game. Only then can we judge whether or not he’s got the attributes to succeed with us and justify his potential £50m? fee.
Nothing can justify 50m quid for Vinicius

We need someone that can also play as a WF, a more natural goal scorer with pace, like a poor man CR
It would be useful to have a hybrid type player, but in practice it really shows when we don't have a 'spearhead' type player up top. You can see when Son plays through the middle when Kane isn't there it really hurts our general play because we can't make anything stick. Especially now we're a bit of a long-ball side we really need some physical presence up there.

It would be useful to have a hybrid type player, but in practice it really shows when we don't have a 'spearhead' type player up top. You can see when Son plays through the middle when Kane isn't there it really hurts our general play because we can't make anything stick. Especially now we're a bit of a long-ball side we really need some physical presence up there.
There are players that can play in both positions effectively e.g. Cavani (was surprised that Mourinho with his usual affection for geriatric didnt pursue him).

It is a role I think Bale can also modify his game to play and would extend his career

Nothing can justify 50m quid for Vinicius

Yep, inflated transfer fees aside he doesn’t have enough attributes and/or experience and stats to justify a £50m fee.

He was a centre back up until the age of 20 so he’s had almost 6 years playing as a striker and in which time he’s scored:

Real SC (loan) - 3rd division - 20 in 38 games
Napoli (£4m) - Serie A - didn’t play, loaned out
Rio Ave (loan) - top flight - 14 in 20 games
Monaco (loan) - top flight - 2 in 16 games
Benfica (£15m) - top flight - 24 in 49 games

He’s in effect had 1 season in a decent team and scored 24 goals and created 13 assists for a team who finished 2nd in the league and is expected to slaughter everyone barring Porto.

Come the summer he will be 26, still only had 1 full in top flight football and we’re expected to pay £50m for him? 🤔

Who could we get for 40m that is definitely better, and has better upside or long-term value?

I disagree with the idea that "he can't ever justify X fee"- that sort of a judgment wrongly presupposes he would never be capable of justifying the fee with performance and numbers. Maybe he isn't worth it now, but he could be in the future, and there is still more future to make before a decision needs to be made.

I'm not saying he would be the best use of 40m for us with so few guaranteed minutes, but I feel he is more than capable of justifying such a fee generally

Let's stop pretending we know the future of this man is as a failure to justify a relatively small 40m fee.

Who could we get for 40m that is definitely better, and has better upside or long-term value?

I disagree with the idea that "he can't ever justify X fee"- that sort of a judgment wrongly presupposes he would never be capable of justifying the fee with performance and numbers. Maybe he isn't worth it now, but he could be in the future, and there is still more future to make before a decision needs to be made.

I'm not saying he would be the best use of 40m for us with so few guaranteed minutes, but I feel he is more than capable of justifying such a fee generally

Let's stop pretending we know the future of this man is as a failure to justify a relatively small 40m fee.

We'd never spend 40m on any back up striker.

They have zero chance of making the position their own.

If we sign Carlos Vinicius, we'd have negotiated a deal down to perhaps more near £20,000,000 and that'd probably be fair.

Though I would question his ambition if he signed for us.

We'd never spend 40m on any back up striker.

They have zero chance of making the position their own.

If we sign Carlos Vinicius, we'd have negotiated a deal down to perhaps more near £20,000,000 and that'd probably be fair.

Though I would question his ambition if he signed for us.

I agree.

In a general sense though- are there better strikers than Vinicius, with better long-term value and upside, available for the same or less price?

I feel like it's a tough ask.

I agree.

In a general sense though- are there better strikers than Vinicius, with better long-term value and upside, available for the same or less price?

Some MAY argue Danny Ings as he ticks HG box, Premier League experience and would be relatively cheap due to having 1 year left on his contract.

But we find ourselves in the same position. Kane isn't going to be rested in any meaningful game. So you'd have to question Ings' ambition.

As most of us have pointed out - it's a wide forward we need, who is also capable of playing up front. And there's a hatful of them across Europe.

I agree.

I dont see Tammy Abrams being reasonably valued more than £50m in the current market. Dont expect clubs falling over to sign a player that cant keep a 34yr old Giroud glued to the bench

It's make it or break it time for Vinicius right now. If Jose doesn't have the guts to play Vinny then him and Danny should be ashamed of themselves for not having faith in the results their summer business. Is a waste of the clubs time and money.

Is there a hidden appearance-based clause where his price trebles and we're forced to buy him outright? It's absolutely unfathomable that our striker gets injured, we're 1-0 down at HT and he STILL can't get on the pitch.

Complete waste of his time and our money, not to mention a squad space.

Back
Top Bottom