Central Defenders for next season poll

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you see our central defensive situation for next season?

• Kaboul - First Choice

Votes: 64 88.9%
  • Kaboul - Squad

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • Kaboul - Sell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vertonghen - First Choice

Votes: 71 98.6%
  • Vertonghen - Squad

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Vertonghen - Sell

• Dawson - First Choice

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Dawson - Squad

Votes: 59 81.9%
  • Dawson - Sell

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Caulker - First Choice

• Caulker - Squad

Votes: 70 97.2%
  • Caulker - Sell

• Gallas - First Choice

• Gallas - Squad

• Gallas - Release

Votes: 72 100.0%
  • We need a new squad central defender

Votes: 18 25.0%

• Total voters

zin

Supporter
I'm only including players who have at least been on the substitutes bench at some point this season.

Unfortunately I'm limited to the number of poll options otherwise I would have put one about buying a new first choice central defender but we can work that out based upon all the other votes.

If you want anyone loaned out just select squad.

Contract Expiry
Younes Kaboul - 2015
Jan Vertonghen - 2016 (+2 year option)
William Gallas - 2013
Michael Dawson - 2015
Steven Caulker - 2016

Other professionals
Bongani Khumalo
Kevin Stewart
Grant Hall

Last Year's Voting (number of votes - players in red no longer at club)
[1st Choice]
Kaboul - 56
New Central Defender - 41
Caulker - 18
Dawson - 16
King - 5
Gallas - 0
Nelsen - 0
Bassong - 0

[Squad]
King - 38
Caulker - 37
Dawson - 37
Gallas - 34
New Central Defender - 18
Bassong - 6
Nelsen - 4
Kaboul - 0

[Sell/Release]
Nelsen - 52
Bassong - 49
Gallas - 18
King - 11
Dawson - 2
Caulker - 0
Kaboul - 0

Central defence panned out mostly as we expected last season with Bassong and Nelsen being sold/released as we wanted. What this meant though was that with us also wanting a new first choice central defender (which we got in Vertonghen) it would leave us with 4 central defenders as backup.

As it turned out with Ledley retiring and Kaboul getting injured the first game of the season we ended up with 4 for the season, Michael Dawson stepping up when it seemed likely that he would be sold by the club and everyone getting a good run of games.

Who's the crazy fool that thinks Vertonghen shouldn't be starting next year?

I voted for Kaboul to join him but of course it all depends on how he recovers from being out so long. Hoping Caulker gets a chance to develop as well without starting to think about leaving for more first team action.

I am shocked that quite a sizeable majority want him dropped in favour of someone who hasnt played all season, and when featured at U21 level got injured after a half.

Get a grip everyone.
You didn't read the post immediately preceding yours, apparently.

I voted for Kaboul to join him but of course it all depends on how he recovers from being out so long. Hoping Caulker gets a chance to develop as well without starting to think about leaving for more first team action.

Why? Most of us think he's our best CB or in the best 2. Daws has done well and we love him, but he is limited.
Not wanting him first choice just because he was injured doesn't make any sense. He's got a whole pre season to prove his fitness now.

I'm basing it on Kaboul's performances last season where he was one of our best players.

On that basis, Kaboul and Vertonghen start and Caulker and Daws push for a place.

If everyone's healthy, Kaboul and Vertonghen. That pairing would be arguably the best in the league. Daws is great too, and injuries are inevitable so it's great to have a player like him ready and willing even if he isn't a guaranteed first team choice.

If you look at the CB pairings AVB has fielded this season it looks as if he's comfortable with lots of rotation going on. With that approach to defensive rotation and the odd Vertonghen on the left game it might be hard to tag every of our players as "squad" or "first choice"

Kaboul had one great season, yes. But he is being hyped up on here though, as if he is the next Nesta or something...

Dawson has been consistantly good, a great servant to the club and captain. I will take a bet with anyone, that next season he will be in the starting XI and Kaboul will be benched & only played in the Europa.

I cant see Daws being dropped for any reason. Not at any stage this season did he suffer a dip in form to warrant it.

Kaboul had one great season, yes. But he is being hyped up on here though, as if he is the next Nesta or something...

Dawson has been consistantly good, a great servant to the club and captain. I will take a bet with anyone, that next season he will be in the starting XI and Kaboul will be benched & only played in the Europa.

I cant see Daws being dropped for any reason. Not at any stage this season did he suffer a dip in form to warrant it.

That's fair enough but the question isn't whether it will be Kaboul or Daws, but what we want it to be. I think Andre will do the same he has done this season, and make Younes play himself into the team, and give Daws a fair crack. My opinion is that Kaboul will do just that and take over from Daws.

We have the best 4 centrebacks in the league overall as a squad.

Whoever comes out the traps the best from Kaboul & Dawson to start with Vertonghen

and give Daws a fair crack. My opinion is that Kaboul will do just that and take over from Daws.

Right, im with you now!
I was just presuming that you all expected Kaboul to just walk into the team.

I guess its a waiting game for next season, I think Dawson is peaking right now so it will be hard for Kaboul to dispossess him from the starting XI.

He's not being hyped up like he's Nesta, only like he's better than Dawson.

And I'll happily take you up on that bet, provided Kaboul remains fit, of course. Loser donates £10 to the charity of the winner's choice.

And I'll happily take you up on that bet, provided Kaboul remains fit, of course. Loser donates £10 to the charity of the winner's choice.

Not a problem. What are we basing this on? How are we doing this?
First 5 games of the season? Or most starts for the whole season?
Is there going to be small print for injuries, etc?

I suspect Kaboul will also fill in at right back in the same way Vertonghen has at left back this season. We could in theory have all 4 players in the same starting XI :)

I suspect Kaboul will also fill in at right back in the same way Vertonghen has at left back this season. We could in theory have all 4 players in the same starting XI :)

That'll be useful when we play long ball merchants like Stoke and West Ham

Back
Top Bottom