Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DeMK9MmWAAA5QIH.jpg

This is what it’s all about.

As a fan that endured the whole of the 90s I remember how excited I was when we qualified for European football again. Playing the likes of Besiktas felt magical, whilst the pipe dream of CL football played out like an unreachable rainbow in the distance.

The game against the Sheik Mansour team where Crouch scored the winner was by far and away the most nervous I’ve ever been when watching a game. It felt like a war for the keys to the promised land. Love him or loathe him, Redknapp (with a little help from King, Bale, VDV, Modric, and the rest) did us proud with those famous wins against the two Milans.

Last season we all felt that moment when we held Madrid in Spain, and smashed them at Wembley. The comeback against Juve was an exhibition in pure determination and pride. Smashing the eventual winners and going toe for toe with the Italian champions seemed like the awkwardly manufactured ‘glory’ I’d play out on FIFA in my 20s. Even when Juve won, their reaction was one of a team that knew they had faced a massive test, with passionate roars where you might have expected a workmanlike series of gestures for a professional job well done.

Now we’re going up against Barcelona, the greatest team of the modern era, and probably the greatest player of all time...and we’re their biggest rival in the group...justifiably.

The 90s seem a long way away. Soak it in lads and lasses. After so many years of false dawns and the sleeping giant, Goliath is wide awake and heading back into battle on the biggest stage in club football. Madrid, Juve, Barca...no need to dream anymore. They’ve all come true.

I hope we do not turn into a club who sees qualification for the Champions League each season as the height of achievement.

Fantsstic that it is we must also look at winning a trophy and that means bulking the squad with greater quality and Pochettino not talking of priorities as opposed to expecting to win every single game we play.
Mate FFS, give it a fucking rest will ya!

We've just qualified for CL for ONLY the 4th time in our entire history. In the past 4 seasons Spurs and Manchester City are the only teams to have secured CL football in 3 consecutive seasons and we've done it whilst playing a whole year away from home!!!

If we can finish 3rd it will be only the 2nd time in our entire history we have come in the top 3 in 3 consecutive seasons since Bill Nic era 60-63!

And yet here you are taking the "new narrative" that Spurs are turning into Woolwich by getting CL but doing fuck all with it, they did it for 20 fucking years. Do Man City fans say this? Athleti fans? Dortmund fans?

Give us a bit of time, enjoy rather than heaping on huge pressure.

The Chelsea fans don't like it!!!

Away from home all season and still punched our weight in every conceivable way?

FUCKING GET IN SPURS

We are Tottenham fans living in an era where we are consistently playing Champion’s League football, have been drawn in a brutal group and we are relishing - and dare I say it, fancy our chances - against the worlds best teams.

That’s how far we have come. Whether we win, lose or draw, we have earned this. The right way.

Stop fucking moaning it’s a CL quarter, one leg will be under the lights at WHL, and City will bring a massive noisy contingent.

It’s going to be magic.

So what if we play them every season...not in the CL we don’t.
The reward is a semi against Ajax or Juve.

This is our season, in all it’s glory. Try and remember that when thinking it’s all shit. The CL is a massive chink of light for us, I don’t care who we get from here on in.

Back
Top Bottom