Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The flip side of this is would you swap that feeling the night we smashed RM at Wembley for an earlier top 4 berth? Because I wouldn’t. That’s a fabulous memory I will take to my grave. Wembley was bouncing. Pure energy.
And securing top 4, having seen the chavs get their hopes up (& very chippy with it) only to see them crushed with a game to go is another deeply saitsifying feeling. They even bottled it at home to ‘Uddersfield.
Overall, it’s been a brilliant season and I wouldn’t change it to have finished top 4 sooner.
Assuming Liverpool qualify Sunday, would you not prefer their easier run and a final against Real Madrid.

Now to smash Leicester on Sunday. It’s written.

I must admit, I can go to the game and get absolutely smashed not having to worry about the result. I will be honest and I won't miss Wembley one bit. It did it's job but it's just not right.

Makes our achievement so much sweeter knowing that we beat Woolwich and Chelsea to top 4 without having our own ground.

Looking forward to the occasion but won't be shedding a tear like the last home game of last season.

Assuming Liverpool qualify Sunday, would you not prefer their easier run and a final against Real Madrid.
You’re assuming. They are down to the last day and still not sure of qualification.
And the fact is you have to play & beat the best to win the CL at some point. As much as I loathe the dippers, they swept City aside & beat a very competent Roma team. I don’t think that was because they had an easy group.

It makes no sense to talk about teams to face in the Champions League. The league has so many matches so mistakes and great performances go into compensation. You can recover the bad day.

The Champions is like Russian roulette. The groups give you a small margin but then it is fate.
A team you meet in October is not the same as you meet in March. Change your fitness, your fitness, injuries, energy spent in the league, if you have difficult games close together, disqualifications.

When you get to the bottom it seems to be in a video game.
For example, Russian teams are difficult to meet in September (they are ahead in preparation) and easy in February (break or end of season). Then there is the January market. Maybe in December a team is drawn and then in February the matches changed to better or worse.

The only thing is to pass the group, the rest is a roulette in which a free kick, a play can decide the future of the competition: surely, sometimes it is better to look after the peacock. In the Champions League you get to the bottom when you never give up for any reason.
Then if you delete the Besiktas or Barcelona (nice scalp, good!) the important thing is that you are there.

About time we played either Barca and Bayern. Purely due to fact we haven’t drawn them over the past 3 comps.

And I wonder now how the players feel about not winning a domestic cup.

What’s bigger?? that feeling of euphoria you get on the day of being in a final and winning. Walking out at Wembley on a sunny day in May. The big build up to an FA Cup final against the mid season league cup.

Or the 6 guaranteed European nights and then possibly 2-4-6-more games against the best teams and players in Europe?
The chance to compete with Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar...... Paulinho!!!

Walking out at the Bernabau, san Siro, seeing the Yellow Wall, going to Juve’s new stadium.......Those must be great trips as a player.

Each season you miss out on that must hurt once you have tasted it.

Know which Levy and Poch prefer and would choose if they had to, would love to know how the players really feel about it all.

Just a little nugget here, a little extra reason to support Real to beat Liverpool...

"Liverpool: If Benfica manages to survive, the next chance for Spurs is for Liverpool to lose the UCL Final, plain and simple. A win by the Reds puts them in Pot 1 instead of Pot 4 if they qualify via the Premier League standings."

If Real win the final, Spurs will be in Pot 2 for next year's group stage draw.

Just a little nugget here, a little extra reason to support Real to beat Liverpool...

"Liverpool: If Benfica manages to survive, the next chance for Spurs is for Liverpool to lose the UCL Final, plain and simple. A win by the Reds puts them in Pot 1 instead of Pot 4 if they qualify via the Premier League standings."

LFC to finish 4th and lose then please footballing gods. I've officially changed my mind over who I want to finish 4.

According to Wiki we are in 19th position for co-efficient points, but that position is after Woolwich and Chelsea who will not be or not likely to be in CL. So if one of the others above us drops out we would be in 16th position - and with 8 groups we would just scrape into Pot 2. So until we have the full list of CL participants we cannot be sure,,,and in fact it may come down to seeing of one of them goes not make it into the Group Stages !
UEFA coefficient - Wikipedia

Far cry from the days we were checking to see if we came top of the European fair play league to scrape a place on the UEFA Cup qualifying rounds.

How did we manage to find ourselves below the likes of Zenith and Benfica in the ranking:avbfacepalm:

The punishment of disrespecting the Europa league I guess:avbshock:

Benfica are pretty much guaranteed European football every season. If they survive in CL they get to play EL.

Guess it’s just purely down to amount of games they have played?

I don’t know how the co-efficient works tbh, mathematical lunacy involved I’m guessing
giphy-zach-.gif

How did we manage to find ourselves below the likes of Zenith and Benfica in the ranking:avbfacepalm:

The punishment of disrespecting the Europa league I guess:avbshock:

Not sure why being below Benfica is confusing. They've pretty qualified for Europe every year in their history. Got to two finals recently too (and lost both).

Imagine the whining from self pity city if that happens.

"But we've won it 5 timessssssssss..errrr history...errrrrrrrrrr spurssssssssssssss"

:angryscouser::angryscouser::angryscouser:

ps: assuming that scenario applies only if we hold 3rd place?

Benfica are pretty much guaranteed European football every season. If they survive in CL they get to play EL.

Guess it’s just purely down to amount of games they have played?

I don’t know how the co-efficient works tbh, mathematical lunacy involved I’m guessing
giphy-zach-.gif
Way simpler than people think really. 2 points for a win, 1 point for a draw, 1 point per round reached from QFs onwards, 4 points for CL group stage and 5 points for CL knockouts. Then just some consolation points for going out in qualifying for clubs from smaller nations. So the main reason Benfica and Zenit are ahead of us is that they regularly get the bonus points for being in the CL and sometimes get the bonus points for being in the CL knockouts too.

If you want some mathematical lunacy go check out the revenue distribution algorithms :levystare:

Back
Top Bottom