Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I can't see a reason they couldn't move Bournemouth back to the Thursday. Sky and PL have been bending over backwards to help the Dippers - 2 Friday games before CL fixtures. Be nice if they helped us out a bit.

2 days after the semi final!?

Given that they also have the issue of Liverpool being scheduled on the 5th and the 7th, I think they'll have to make 2 swaps. I reckon they'll move Cardiff v Palace from 17:30 Saturday into the Monday night slot, Newcastle v Liverpool to the 17:30 Saturday slot, and Bournemouth v us into the now vacant 16:30 Sunday slot. Would be much better if we could play on the Saturday though of course.

How does the extra place get made up, or rather where does it come from in the event the winner is places 5th?
There's a spot already allocated for the holders. If it isn't used because they also qualify through the league (as obviously happens most of the time), then the champions of the 11th ranked league (Austria this season) get a group stage spot without having to qualify. Various other teams (the champions of nations 13, 15, 18 and 19) enter one qualifying round later than they would have done, so the same number of teams as normal (four) still get through to the Group Stage through this qualifying route in addition to the extra team getting there automatically to replace the holders.

There's a spot already allocated for the holders. If it isn't used because they also qualify through the league (as obviously happens most of the time), then the champions of the 11th ranked league (Austria this season) get a group stage spot without having to qualify. Various other teams (the champions of nations 13, 15, 18 and 19) enter one qualifying round later than they would have done, so the same number of teams as normal (four) still get through to the Group Stage through this qualifying route in addition to the extra team getting there automatically to replace the holders.
Thanks for the explanation, it still left me shy of understanding how the competition would then basically handle the odd number of teams created...the answer, as you say, seems to be that its sorted out some way in the early qualifying rounds that I can't really find explanation for.

Seems like a lot of work why not just simplify the whole thing and say there are 80 positions, including all league champions, CL champions, and EL champions. The rest are filled with the allocation as stands, with the provision that if the CL and/or EL champions qualify through league position then the 14th and/or 15th league(s) by coefficient will be allocated the subsequent available slot.

The champions of the CL, EL, and top 14-16 leagues by coefficient are seeded in the group stages. The remaining 64 teams are seeded into a bracket based on coefficient and play 2 qualifying matches to determine the final 16 teams to play in the group stages.

That's pretty damn simple, and I figured it out whilst eating half my lunch. I'll accept nomination for head of UEFA now.

exp18.jpg

There were EL campaigns where I was praying we would draw Ajax, just to see our boys play each other.

I just can't believe the stage we finally get to see it happen. I definitely can't believe it considering where we were after match day 3 of the group stage.

We have to drink moments like this in. If the incredible happens and we got to the final, I don't think most of this forum would survive the stress.
:lamelaaghh:

I know we shouldn`t be looking past this game but IF we were to get to the final who would you prefer to play? I guess we have a slightly better chance of beating Pool but I really couldn`t take losing in the final those cunts.

I can't see a reason they couldn't move Bournemouth back to the Thursday. Sky and PL have been bending over backwards to help the Dippers - 2 Friday games before CL fixtures. Be nice if they helped us out a bit.
Pressure on the FA. The club needs to be assertive in demanding they help us out.
Dutch FA has postponed a whole round of Eredivisie to help Ajax out.

We certainly have the quality to bear Ajax over 2 legs
And Real Madrid and Juventus didn't?!

Ajax are favourites, not so much because of who they have beaten, although many would say City this season were the best team so far knocked out, but because we will be without Kane (both legs) and Son (home leg).

I would say all 4 final pairings are 50:50 right now.

Last edited:
I know we shouldn`t be looking past this game but IF we were to get to the final who would you prefer to play? I guess we have a slightly better chance of beating Pool but I really couldn`t take losing in the final those cunts.

Barcelona.

If we lost, atleast we'd have lost to the greatest footballer who ever lived.

Back
Top Bottom