Champions League finalists Liverpool and Tottenham now worlds apart

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wish we would sign the quality ready to go players that Liverpool sign , ours have been piss poor generally in comparison .
Our wages screw us.
They deserve their success.
It’s easy to say that because of where they are right now, and I 100% do agree we should be looking at ready to go proven players, fuck we should have been looking at them players after 2016/17.
But they have been lucky as well, Robertson and TAA have been two massive cash savers, one from the academy the other costing around 10mill. Added to that they have used a veteran utility player in Milner excellently when needed.
Compare that to City who splashed over 120m on finding their fullbacks😳.
Yet City’s back line is now full of hole because of one injury, so take VVD out of Liverpool and they would look the same.
We on the other hand sold Walker for a then record fullback fee and proceed to spunk that money down the drain in the fullback department, and we have produced absolutely zero youth since Harry Kane, all the while our top class centre half’s are regressing year after year.
Just comes down to poor squad management from the entire club.
City prove no matter how much you spend one or two key injuries can fuck you over, Liverpool haven’t experienced that yet, we on the other hand can’t catch an injury break right now.

Some interesting points on here, though perhaps over analysing too.

The way I look at it, Tottenham had what I shall refer to as a 'natural level' of around 4th - 6th place, and were finishing 2nd - 4th above our natural level. This isn't looking purely at players on the pitch, but the stadium (Old WHL), income, fan base and everything related to a football club.

Liverpool had a natural level of around 2nd - 4th but were finishing 2nd - 8th, around and below their natural level.

Now I would say Spurs have a natural level of around 3rd - 5th, and we can guess this season we finish 4th - 8th, around or below our natural level.. and Liverpool now have a natural level around 1st - 3rd, where I expect them to end up again.

Basically there's no huge drama. Liverpool have been a lot bigger than us for a long time. Anfield was a huge part of this, their history, salary outgoings and what is often overlooked when comparing both clubs transfer activity - player pulling power. Lots of their best signings probably wouldn't have wanted to join Spurs unless we went silly on wages like Chelsea and Man City did with their daddies credit cards. Not a model I would been keen nor proud to follow, regardless of their success.

I'm sorry to say it, but it's not simply all about scouts, recruitment strategy, Levy etc. A huge factor, particularly with foreign players - is the name Liverpool. We are nowhere near them in terms of name. We may post stats, profits, figures or whatever to argue that, but at the end of the day players look at salaries, and club profiles (trophies won). We are behind them on both, so 'naturally' ought to be behind them in the league. I thoroughly enjoyed our seasons finishing above them with no right to.

I joked in a thread last year about visiting Morocco.. Talking to locals about football, asking who you support - the response to "Tottenham" was once "ahh yes, Tottingham Forest - I know, Clough!" .. and this Spring (just before the Ajax first leg) it was "ahh yes, Harry Kane - beat Manchester City in Champions League".
We need to continue on that path. We need kids that are the next global football superstars who are currently 5-10 years old to see us playing in the Champions League, know our name, see us competing with the biggest teams on the planet, and doing ourselves proud like we did in last seasons campaign.
Levy has been working really hard on raising that global image but I think the rewards from that could be 10+ years away. At the same time he has remained true with increasing our player salaries in line with our increased income.

Just because we finished above Liverpool a lot recently never made us a bigger, higher profile club than them. We played above our natural level while they played below theirs. The way I look at it, the gap to them has been consistently closing over the last 10 years in terms of stature.

oh look, the happy clappers who can't face the truth are crying and pissing in their little panties.

ban him! he said a bad thing!!

Then use words like cunt, mug, wanker etc to make yourselves feel better.

Every word I said is true. ACCEPT IT.

So we are losers eh.

Explain this then! Captured forever in glorious technicolour.
Screensaver on my phone, computer and framed in my living room. What a snapshot in our history so far.

Losers!! Not where I’m standing.

A1910392_x500.jpg

oh look, the happy clappers who can't face the truth are crying and pissing in their little panties.

ban him! he said a bad thing!!

Then use words like cunt, mug, wanker etc to make yourselves feel better.

Every word I said is true. ACCEPT IT.

LOL.... The Dark Turd hath spoken.

Neatly ignores the fact that Mourinho's hopeless grasp of tactics have won his teams over twenty trophies .. but what do trophies matter?

Jonathan Liew is to football what a turd is to a pool party .... simply not pleasant at all.
Is he buggery
Hes not only Spurs through and through but hes an astute and knowledgeable journalist
Ignorant comment to make.

What the fuck has Mourinhos trophy count got to do with his comments anyway, he described exactly what the team did and how it was a pattern of management he has displayed in the past.
The difference is that now he has to manage without an unlimited budget.

Is he buggery
Hes not only Spurs through and through but hes an astute and knowledgeable journalist
Ignorant comment to make.

What the fuck has Mourinhos trophy count got to do with his comments anyway, he described exactly what the team did and how it was a pattern of management he has displayed in the past.
The difference is that now he has to manage without an unlimited budget.

He's not he's just become a clickbait journalist a mouthpiece for controversy - to even suggest one of the world's most successful managers of the last fifty years has no clue about tactics? it's beyond stupid ...

If you look at 90% of his articles they focus on how bad something has become for one team, one group, one class or another - "City disappear from Utd sight" Spurs should fear Mourinho" "St Andrews empty stands" ... he represents a reprehensible modern breed of journalist who take pleasure sucking the life out of the losers rather than praising the winners ... the luvvies might like it, it's 'intellectual' don't you know ... to me it's mostly sad, depressing, negative crap, but you wallow in it if you want.

He's not he's just become a clickbait journalist a mouthpiece for controversy - to even suggest one of the world's most successful managers of the last fifty years has no clue about tactics? it's beyond stupid ...

If you look at 90% of his articles they focus on how bad something has become for one team, one group, one class or another - "City disappear from Utd sight" Spurs should fear Mourinho" "St Andrews empty stands" ... he represents a reprehensible modern breed of journalist who take pleasure sucking the life out of the losers rather than praising the winners ... the luvvies might like it, it's 'intellectual' don't you know ... to me it's mostly sad, depressing, negative crap, but you wallow in it if you want.
righto

I don't wallow in negativity - and if you think so, then you've never read any of my posts. However I do know the guys a spurs fan and the stuff he used to write in the DT didn't match you jaundiced description.
Whether he's doing that at the Grauniad I couldn't say, I wouldn't wipe my arse on it.

I judged the piece on the veracity and accuracy of its content - rather than dismissing it because I had a shitty on with him or modern journalists as a whole

The premise is absolute nonsense.

Liverpool are worlds apart from EVERYBODY.

I could make a series of articles...

Liverpool and Man City Now Worlds Apart
Liverpool and Real Madrid Now Worlds Apart
Liverpool and PSG Now Worlds Apart
Liverpool and Barcelona Now Worlds Apart

Rinse and repeat.

Back
Top Bottom