Chris Waddle

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't know he was a spurs fan
Spurs were going to buy him, the deal had been agreed I think it was 1990, but Le Tissier changed his mind at the last minute.
I don't really have a second side but Le Tissier was so gifted I've always had a soft spot for the Saints (and stealing their best players and manager helps too!).

Last edited:
Spurs were going to buy him, the deal had been agreed I think it was 1990, but Le Tissier changed his mind at the last minute.
I don't really have a second side but Le Tissier was so gifted I've always had a soft spot for the Saints (and stealing their best players and manager helps too!).
How come he got so few England caps?

How come he got so few England caps?
England don't like building teams around creative players.
In Le Tissier's case, Hoddle also rejected him because of jealousy - Le Tiss was being compared with Hoddle, and the Hoddle didn't like it, so he never picked him.
All very ironic considering Hoddle feels aggrieved about not getting enough caps himself!
Anyhow, I've totally derailed this thread!
Waddle had something Hoddle didn't have in my opinion - he was/is a very mentally tough person. He was hardened up at Newcastle and I never saw Waddle pull out of a challenge at the Lane, which looked all the more impressive considering how svelte-like he was in those days.

...aaah, the famous headline:
WADDLE 2 VILLA 0

I was (BLATANTLY) lucky enough to be on The shelf that night and got a cracking view of that goal... wonderful stuff!
Me too, and again, if I remember rightly he was unlucky with an attempt that if it had gone in, would have made it one of the most spectacular hat tricks you would have ever seen.

Me too, and again, if I remember rightly he was unlucky with an attempt that if it had gone in, would have made it one of the most spectacular hat tricks you would have ever seen.
Ahhh, you shoulda popped over and said 'Hi'... I was only a teenager at the time, I wouldn't have known what to do with myself!!
:dierno::pochshock:

One of my favourite spurs players and a great communicator when his on the radio. He came across really well in this podcast.

https://audioboom.com/boos/3546773-chris-waddle-the-entertainer.mp3?source=rss&stitched=1
Graham Hunter, the interviewer is very good isn't he? Not heard of him before. I see he's done loads of these in depth football chats, some of these look interesting as well. I'll skip Alan Pardew parts 1 & 2 tho...

audioBoom / The Big Interview with Graham Hunter

After the Hod and Gazza, one of my favorite ever spurs players. Unless I'm too drunk, I reckon I saw him play at the Lane with Beardsley (playing for Newcastle) and they were awesome.

This vid about his time at Marseille is well worth checking out.

Some cracking goals in there... although I'm gonna take any goal that anyone scored past Grobbelaar with a pinch of salt and an envelope of used Fivers!

Back
Top Bottom