Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Took 3 managers and the bulk of his time here to crack the code though. Criminal in hindsight.

To be fair, I think a lot of that was probably down to Dembele himself.

AVB knew the talent he had signed and got under the nose of Sir Alex. Sherwood knew the talent and his assist Les Ferdinand quite often told Dembele that if he was consistent he could leave for Real Madrid (or something like that) and Poch called him a genius.

Dembele always struck me as someone who probably didn't care about football enough as a career to really dedicate and take himself to the next and highest level. He was just really really good at it and enjoyed being good at it.

I miss watching that man.

To be fair, I think a lot of that was probably down to Dembele himself.

AVB knew the talent he had signed and got under the nose of Sir Alex. Sherwood knew the talent and his assist Les Ferdinand quite often told Dembele that if he was consistent he could leave for Real Madrid (or something like that) and Poch called him a genius.

Dembele always struck me as someone who probably didn't care about football enough as a career to really dedicate and take himself to the next and highest level. He was just really really good at it and enjoyed being good at it.

I miss watching that man.

Recognizing he had talent is one thing....

AVB played his as a DM and let Parker be the box to box.
Poch Played him at right wing and had us all thinking he'd be sold.
Sherwood (LOL) as happy to play Siggy at CM instead of him.

It was only in his brief partnership with Sandro and the latter half of Poch's tenure that we got a great deal out of him.

I think mine was a perfectly reasonable assessment tbf.

I get the other end of what you're saying though.... Perhaps he just found it all too easy... We heard the stories of the kind of player he was a a teen.

Is that not commonly accepted though?

Demebele provided the canvas (time and space) for Eriksen to paint on. Without Moussa, Eriksen often struggled.

Disagree, and I think the facts don't back your notion. Dembele played no more than 58% of the available games with us, Eriksen much, much more. Possibly the most % minutes of any player in the Poch era.

Even last season with Eriksen allegedly phoning it in he contributed 27 goals/assists and 50 passes a game.

Personally I think he was the most influential player of Poch's reign. Just a very quiet player who never shouted it.

Recognizing he had talent is one thing....

AVB played his as a DM and let Parker be the box to box.
Poch Played him at right wing and had us all thinking he'd be sold.
Sherwood (LOL) as happy to play Siggy at CM instead of him.

It was only in his brief partnership with Sandro and the latter half of Poch's tenure that we got a great deal out of him.

I think mine was a perfectly reasonable assessment tbf.

I get the other end of what you're saying though.... Perhaps he just found it all too easy... We heard the stories of the kind of player he was a a teen.

I just think if he really really wanted it - he wouldn't have been at Spurs, nor would he have ended up in China as the club following Spurs.

Why did he choose Spurs over United? - maybe he felt at Spurs he could be a bit more free, not have to work AS hard because of his natural ability whereas at United, especially under Ferguson, he'd perhaps have to go out of his comfort zone? etc.

Who knows. Dembele is always an interesting case. There were times where he really could have been sold. He wasn't really getting consistent game time and that's something he did speak about because he didn't want to lose his place in the Belgian team etc. - but he stuck with us, we stuck with him and eventually during the tail end of his career we managed to get him to click.

I just think if he really really wanted it - he wouldn't have been at Spurs, nor would he have ended up in China as the club following Spurs.

Why did he choose Spurs over United? - maybe he felt at Spurs he could be a bit more free, not have to work AS hard because of his natural ability whereas at United, especially under Ferguson, he'd perhaps have to go out of his comfort zone? etc.

Who knows. Dembele is always an interesting case. There were times where he really could have been sold. He wasn't really getting consistent game time and that's something he did speak about because he didn't want to lose his place in the Belgian team etc. - but he stuck with us, we stuck with him and eventually during the tail end of his career we managed to get him to click.

Could have been something as simple as him and his family being settled in London.

I always think the personal aspects can be overlooked.

Disagree, and I think the facts don't back your notion. Dembele played no more than 58% of the available games with us, Eriksen much, much more. Possibly the most % minutes of any player in the Poch era.

Even last season with Eriksen allegedly phoning it in he contributed 27 goals/assists and 50 passes a game.

There were plenty of games where Eriksen just couldn't impose himself.... A notable amount of big games too.... How many of said games was MD unavailable? Is there a correlation?

I think you're being over sensitive to what I've said though... It's hardly a scathing criticism. It was actually born of a compliment.... The synergy between the 2 made us one of the best teams in Europe for a couple of years.

Personally I think he was the most influential player of Poch's reign. Just a very quiet player who never shouted it.

Weird closing comment though... Even if not taken literally; are you saying that Dembele, Kane or maybe Son DO shout about it? (I'd say they equally 'quietly' go about their job)

Could have been something as simple as him and his family being settled in London.

I always think the personal aspects can be overlooked.

Fair point really - I know he has a son, his girlfriend could have been expecting round about that time.

As I have already done; again, I acknowledge the aspect of his character/personality.... That doesn't account for the positional issues I noted though.

So simple yet so beautiful from Eriksen

People underestimate how big an influence Eriksen and Dembele were to our team.
It took years for people to get Dembele and I suspect that most went with the heard to avoid looking stupid. But even to this day, the part of Dembele's game that he never gets recognition for was what he did without the ball. The number of oppo attacks he prevented was huge, think Kante levels. He was a great tactical fouler and he covered a lot of ground quickly to get out to oppo runners, he would slow the attack down and show the oppo out wide numerous times in a game.

One of the best footballers I have ever watch live.

Just a rumor, but I doubt we can hope there was a sell-on clause. :levyeyes:

Eriksen to leave Inter already?
Christian Eriksen could be on his way out of Internazionale just six months after joining the club from Tottenham Hotspur.

The Mail, citing reports in Italy, suggests that the Nerazzurri are willing to listen to offers for the Denmark international after he has failed to impress under Antonio Conte at the San Siro.

The 28-year-old has struggled for form since his move in January and was even dropped to the bench for the recent 3-1 victory over Torino, with Conte himself hinting that Eriksen's reputation isn't enough for him to guarantee a starting place.

Inter are said to be willing to listen to offers of around £55 million.

Back
Top Bottom