Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Club 100%...
My parents where Irish and i was taken to Wembley by my old man in 1976 to watch England v Eire as a kid i wanted the new England admiral kit but didn't get it..boohoo but I did see walking up Wembley way a black man with a leather Jacket on and a green scarf around his neck.
That man was Phil Lynott of Thin lizzy and from that day and the Dundalk game at home 81 I followed the Republic of Ireland.
My friends started a supporters club in London in 1984 and I have seen the world with Ireland but nothing beats seeing Spurs win lose or draw.

Spurs every time. Found it very difficult to cheer for a team with Sol Campbell, John Terry and Ashley Cole in it. I take more interest in England rugby than I do England football. The elation I get from Spurs winning even a League Cup or a derby game beats anything I could feel for England although I do get a little satisfaction when Kane scores a crucial goal for England after being slagged of for "diving" by fans of other teams.

When I were a lad in britches kicking t’in can ‘round t’playground, it were all about England. T’World Cup were everything.

Kids these days and their Premier League, Sky, Champions League... they don’t even regard the Cup as a worthy trophy. Our national side is relegated to a side-story rather than being at the forefront of football in this country.

I was in Spain on holiday when they won the World Cup and I’ve never seen anything like the celebrations that went on there. For that to happen country-wide and not just in N17 would be a spectacle for all to remember until they leave this world.

The funny thing is much of the England team is comprised of Spurs players. Who is to say that Kane, Winks, Rose and Dier, with World Cup medals in their locker, wouldn’t propel Spurs into greater glory?

Seems the only form of “national pride” left in this country is the immigrant-hating, insular type promoted by the likes of Farage and Rees-Mogg.

Not one of these threads. Obviously it is club before country, but they are not mutually exclusive are they? One of the great things about watching England, especially last summer, is watching it with all your mates and indeed the whole country. I would actually say I have more fun watching England - don't have many spurs mates and some of the fans around me in the stadium are absolutely vile.

Seems the only form of “national pride” left in this country is the immigrant-hating, insular type promoted by the likes of Farage and Rees-Mogg.
Whilst that statement is shrill nonsense in the wider context, last summer showed that is simply not true in the football context either.

I used to be a massive England fan, but a succession of terrible managers, most of them FA "yes" men led to me slowly losing interest.
England pissed away so many talented squads and won nothing, bit like us in recent times.

I now loathe international qualifiers and friendlies. Just seed the top teams and play International games in the summer only. Save the players legs a bit. I mean England vs Bulgaria? who really gives a solitary toss...

I mean England vs Bulgaria? who really gives a solitary toss...

I didn't even known we were playing Bulgaria.

And what the hell was that crappy tournament with four teams in it all about? All I know is I didn't watch any of it and we came fourth. Sending PL players to play in that when they should have been on holiday was bollocks, especially the 3/4 place playoff, which we lost anyway. :dembelelol:

Give me Spurs winning the CL or Premier League any day. The amount of money and emotional investment I've put into Spurs far outweighs that for England. Spurs are the team I follow every week and quite frankly International breaks just get in the way these days. I'd be ecstatic if England won the World Cup and it's great being with your mates and you're all cheering on the same team, but Spurs mean more.

I didn't even known we were playing Bulgaria.

And what the hell was that crappy tournament with four teams in it all about? All I know is I didn't watch any of it and we came fourth. Sending PL players to play in that when they should have been on holiday was bollocks, especially the 3/4 place playoff, which we lost anyway. :dembelelol:
We beat Switzerland on penalties in the 3rd place playoff

I think the fact that most of us here have never seen Spurs lift a title also pushes the club over country argument well over the line.

Last edited:
Id probably just about go for the World Cup.
A) Because its the best tournament in the world.
B) My childhood was scarred by the unfulfilled dream of England winning the world cup, I never even dreamed Spurs could win the league

Last edited:
Tottenham, to the extent i'd rather us win the league cup than england the world cup.

International weeks are weeks off for me. I like that I can book weekends up years in advance knowing I'm not going to miss a Tottenham game.

Only people who say their country are the people who don't properly support clubs, or those people who don't like football - you know, the type who fill up all the pubs and the High Streets during the World Cups!

International weeks are weeks off for me. I like that I can book weekends up years in advance knowing I'm not going to miss a Tottenham game.

Only people who say their country are the people who don't properly support clubs, or those people who don't like football - you know, the type who fill up all the pubs and the High Streets during the World Cups!

This break suits me fine because if I have to sit in an Irish pub again on Saturday at 2pm and watch Ireland beat Wales in the rugby surrounded by fanatical drunken Irish supporters then I may as well get slaughtered with them afterwards and wake up Monday....so I'd miss any match we would have had anyway :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom