Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
It's on the front of my passport and has always been on coins.
Think it's the official name of the state after 1937.

I would suggest that that’s a British influence but I don’t know. I do know that I only say Ireland and never Eire because it’s got me in trouble in the past.

Part of me really hates it when England do well at the World Cup - all of a sudden there are people talking about it as if they know the ins and outs of the game, when at any other time they have no interest whatsoever.

This.
Last summer was pathetic. Beat cannon fodder like Panama then need penalties to best Columbia and half the country think we will win it and anoint Gareth fucking Southgate the second coming.

He's as wet as any of his predecessors. Euro 2020 will be a repeat of every tournament before it - sail through qualifying because we always get an easy group then come unstuck the first time we play anyone half decent.

English footballers on their own look bang average against proper world class teams at tournaments.
They look great in the premier league, mostly because theres not 11 of them and they're not managed by a wobbly bottom lipped no hoper.

Oh come on ? Eireann

I didn't write this:

"Well, there are two jurisdictions on the island. The term 'Ireland' applies to whole island. English people may have seized on the term 'Eire' because it gave them an excuse not say 'Ireland'. They wanted to avoid describing the Southern Ireland team as 'Ireland' so 'Eire' demarcates the fact that it is the 26 county team they are talking about. This was in the era that the Republic of Ireland used to claim the territory of the whole island.It is harking back to an era that is obsolete. The term 'Eire' went out of fashion in the late 1940s. "

Why is it and or? Oh, that's right in today's society everything is measured in absolute terms, no sense of the reality.

It's both, no matter who your club team or what country is yours. The answer is always both.

As you were.

I support England in cricket. Never really cared about the football team though. I like the current crop since there's been a fair bit of Spurs representation over the last few years and Gareth Southgate is a likeable man but England football fans are such tryhard cunts.

Can't be arsed making a new thread but this one is close enough - a question:

When a player is on loan and gets capped (like Jack Clarke for example) which club is he awarded the cap for?

I support England in cricket. Never really cared about the football team though. I like the current crop since there's been a fair bit of Spurs representation over the last few years and Gareth Southgate is a likeable man but England football fans are such tryhard cunts.

"such try-hard cunts".
If that translates as beer guzzling flag waving national anthem singing barmy's, I think I agree with you. I don't go to England matches as there are way too many absolute pricks in attendance. :deledoubt:

Can't be arsed making a new thread but this one is close enough - a question: When a player is on loan and gets capped (like Jack Clarke for example) which club is he awarded the cap for?

But the club don’t get the cap innit?:mong:

Last edited:
You know what I mean: which club gets the credit for the cap, the one the player is currently playing for or the one who 'owns' the player? I assume it's the later but not sure...

Personally, I think the player gets the credit. I’m pretty sure Alan Shearer keeps all his caps at home and neither Southampton or Newcastle Utd got a sniff of even one. :chicco:

Country, the buzz when Northern Ireland beat the likes of England and Spain in Belfast has yet to be topped tbh...also worked in International football for a while and grew up watching my country.

London's a bit too expensive to get to for the weekend tbh and I was heavily involved in youth football most Saturdays during the season, have only saw Spurs away so far.

If I was fortunate enough to have Spurs as my local club, this answer would be different.

International perspective factors in too, I'd have been absolutely ecstatic with a draw against ze Germans the other night ffs!

I didn't write this:

"Well, there are two jurisdictions on the island. The term 'Ireland' applies to whole island. English people may have seized on the term 'Eire' because it gave them an excuse not say 'Ireland'. They wanted to avoid describing the Southern Ireland team as 'Ireland' so 'Eire' demarcates the fact that it is the 26 county team they are talking about. This was in the era that the Republic of Ireland used to claim the territory of the whole island.It is harking back to an era that is obsolete. The term 'Eire' went out of fashion in the late 1940s. "
Not that I'm bothered but I'll put this here anyway.

"Article 4 of the Constitution of Ireland, adopted in 1937, provides that "the name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland". Hence, the Irish state has two official names, Éire (in Irish) and Ireland (in English). For official purposes, including in international treaties and other legal documents, and where the language of the documents is English, the Irish government uses the name Ireland. The same is true in respect of the name Éire for documents written in Irish. "

So according to the Irish constitution the official name of the Republic of Ireland in Irish is Eire, hence the use of Eire on passports etc.

Not that I'm bothered but I'll put this here anyway.

"Article 4 of the Constitution of Ireland, adopted in 1937, provides that "the name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland". Hence, the Irish state has two official names, Éire (in Irish) and Ireland (in English). For official purposes, including in international treaties and other legal documents, and where the language of the documents is English, the Irish government uses the name Ireland. The same is true in respect of the name Éire for documents written in Irish. "

So according to the Irish constitution the official name of the Republic of Ireland in Irish is Eire, hence the use of Eire on passports etc.

Don’t argue the toss with me; argue it with the Irish that have an issue with it. I can assure you it is so; and at least one other on this thread has agreed - many do not accept the use of Eire.

Very likely because the country is actually called: Éireann!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom