Club or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Club or Country?

• Club

• Country

• Both

• Neither. I dislike both and only come on here to shit talk when Tottenham or England lose.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Deleted member 13260

Was speaking with an American earlier who thought I was crazy saying I prioritise Tottenham over England.

He suggested players, managers and the vast majority of fans would pick country over club.

I would agree with a lot of players as they often don't play for clubs they support or come from nations where representing your country has a different kind of pride.
I'm pretty sure for example Kane & Bale would pick country over club, as would the Argentinians - maybe most players in general.. but what about fans?

I'm not so sure.. maybe it's an English thing but for me international competitions are a novelty every couple of years, whereas I live and breathe Tottenham every day.

Just interested how people feel about the club vs country thing on here!

mcvities_club_mint_bars_7_x_22g_154g_73537_T1.jpg

(I am a legit England fan though.)

Last edited:
Club for me.
I’ve never really been able to muster up much enthusiasm for international football which I think is to do with it being sporadic and also it often just doesn’t seem as exciting or energetic. I might put the England games on in the background while I’m doing something else, but watching Spurs gets my undivided attention.

Club for me.
I’ve never really been able to muster up much enthusiasm for international football which I think is to do with it being sporadic and also it often just doesn’t seem as exciting or energetic. I might put the England games on in the background while I’m doing something else, but watching Spurs gets my undivided attention.

Yeah it's only the actual tournament games I watch with that level of undivided attention.

The whole ITV, Screwfix, Ian Wright thing just doesn't fully engage me.
When we had 4-5 Spurs players in the team I would pay more attention, or if a Spurs player is getting their first cap - otherwise.. yeah background stuff.

I voted both because I cannot choose. I do hate international breaks. But feeling of being in World Cup final was like nothing before.

Ahh as a Croat?
Maybe more of an English thing.

I think international tournaments are great. I would completely get rid of international friendly matches though. Just a waste of time and i don't blame clubs for not releasing players for friendly games.

Ahh as a Croat?
Maybe more of an English thing.
Yeah, I guess there's a difference if you're big nation or small and "young" as we are. Being in last stages at world cup is something big nations do all the time so I guess it's not that big of a deal and gets expected over the time.

Yeah, I guess there's a difference if you're big nation or small and "young" as we are. Being in last stages at world cup is something big nations do all the time so I guess it's not that big of a deal and gets expected over the time.

My Finnish girlfriend supports her nation at everything. Youth sports played in front of 100 fans even.
A real pride when her small nation knocks down somewhere far bigger, especially Russia at ice hockey.

She supports Spurs but actively wants Pukki to score when we play Norwich, when can annoy me when the scoreline is tight.

My Finnish girlfriend supports her nation at everything. Youth sports played in front of 100 fans even.
A real pride when her small nation knocks down somewhere far bigger, especially Russia at ice hockey.

She supports Spurs but actively wants Pukki to score when we play Norwich, when can annoy me when the scoreline is tight.
That's like my dad. He only loved Spurs when we had croatians😂

That's like my dad. He only loved Spurs when we had croatians😂

I mentioned this thread to her, and she said;

"although I support TPS in Finland, if Helsinki, Tampere or another city are playing a game in Europe I will 100% support them, but you sit and watch every Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester games just to support foreign teams."

Completely true.
Would you support any old Croatian team in Europe just because they're Croats?

I mentioned this thread to her, and she said;

"although I support TPS in Finland, if Helsinki, Tampere or another city are playing a game in Europe I will 100% support them, but you sit and watch every Liverpool, Chelsea, Manchester games just to support foreign teams."

Completely true.
Would you support any old Croatian team in Europe just because they're Croats?
Yeah, because I don't have any feelings towards any of them. I do watch the league though.

Club only.

It probably doesn't help being half English/half Italian. Whilst London born & bred, and sound as English as the next English person, I've never felt English. Conversely, growing up with an Italian mother (divorced from my English father when I was a kid), and only knowing the Italian side of my family, I never felt Italian. Whenever asked when abroad where I'm from, my first answer is always 'London', with the explanations and caveats that come from further conversation.

Like a lot on here, I consider myself knowledgable in football worldwide, so this isn't a lack of interest in international football but I've never seen the reasoning in wanting players I normally don't wish well for most of the season to start performing well just because they play for their national team, to a point where I really don't want England to do well. I think it also has something to do with the way the nation as a whole would (over) react - understandable but too much for me. Even when we had 4 or 5 players in the England team not that long ago, I wanted them to play well, of course, but I still didn't want England to win anything. I also don't want any English/British side to do well in Europe (and I include the likes of 'non-rivals' such as Fulham when they had their day a few years back).

Back
Top Bottom