Combatting racism in football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MyLondon have reported that a Metropolitan Police officer was sacked without notice after he allegedly made a racist slur about former Tottenham midfielder Dele Alli back in 2020.

The incident reportedly occurred on October 14 in 2020 when PC Harrison Gray was at a house party and he was overheard using a racist slur about Alli when ranting about the midfielder’s performances for Spurs.

Gray is said to have used the ‘p word’, which is used as a racist slur to describe people of Pakistan origin, although the England international is English and has a Nigerian father.

Gray’s comments reportedly caused outrage among his colleagues at the party, with a guest even slapping him upon hearing the slur.

His comments were reported to the Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards (DPS) but the police constable denied the charges levelled against him, insisting that he only described Alli as ‘overpaid’

Following a probe into the incident, and listening to statements provided by other officers present at the party, Gray has now been dismissed without notice.

Superintendent Richard McDonagh said about the decision: “There is no place for any type of discriminatory language in the Met. While I am incredibly disappointed that PC Gray felt it was acceptable to use this language at all, I am immensely proud that his colleagues did the right thing and reported his behaviour.

“They demonstrated what the Met’s values are and that a colleague using such offensive language, even in a social setting, will not be ignored and brushed under the carpet. We are working hard to rebuild trust and a part of that process is ensuring that those who let the Met down are rigorously investigated and brought to account.”

Spurs Web Opinion

Gray’s colleagues deserve credit for reporting the statement to the authorities instead of looking the other way. While the fact that the verdict has taken two years is not encouraging, at least the right decision has been reached eventually.

The account is almost certainly a bot. Getting rid of bots will be a huge improvement that the previous ownership didn't give a fuck about. Musk asked them for the data on it and the first acquisition fell through.
I think it's more likely a bedroom-dwelling, shit-stirring teenage troll than a bot (see their profile), but agree the platform would be better without bots. Whether it will ultimately be better as a product depends on where Musk draws the line between free speech and hate speech/false information.

I think it's more likely a bedroom-dwelling, shit-stirring teenage troll than a bot (see their profile), but agree the platform would be better without bots. Whether it will ultimately be better as a product depends on where Musk draws the line between free speech and hate speech/false information
Just a small bunch of retweets, and no followers - interested why you think its not a bot?

I think you are right though. We will get rid of this form of online abuse the day we get rid of teenagers.

Then let the Belgians prosecute them, anti Semitic chanting is not legal over there either, extradite them.

Extradition from the UK to an EU member state is now subject to greater obstacles than was the case before Brexit. Much would depend on what offences the perps could be charged with in Belgium. Extradition is only possible in respect of offences which are criminal in both the requesting and requested states and are punishable by at least one year’s imprisonment, or where a conviction of at least four months’ imprisonment has been imposed.

I haven't seen any reports suggesting that the racist thugs have been charged in Belgium. It looks like they got away with their vile behaviour.

Back
Top Bottom