Come here to laugh at the Fascist, Failing Chavs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£50m won't touch the sides.....that's not even two months wages
I feel that the "bidders" who have made their interests public are the ones that will not succeed. My gut tells me the ones who get this over the line haven't revealed themselves yet.

But whoever comes in has to cover a £100m per year hole in revenue. It's hard to see who and why someone would do this, unless they had some dirty money to clean.

I feel that the "bidders" who have made their interests public are the ones that will not succeed. My gut tells me the ones who get this over the line haven't revealed themselves yet.

But whoever comes in has to cover a £100m per year hole in revenue. It's hard to see who and why someone would do this, unless they had some dirty money to clean.
I agree, I feel that many of the so-called consortiums just want the PR on bidding. The only ones who would seriously want to buy this club is someone who needs it as a sport washing asset – like the Saudis.
This is not Man Utd which you can buy on leverage and take serious profits out of the club. There is simply no profits to gain.

I have never followed the net spend table, but is it possible that the 100m annual shortfall could be managed in different / better transfer dealings?

I have never followed the net spend table, but is it possible that the 100m annual shortfall could be managed in different / better transfer dealings?

Significantly lower the wage bill....... Buy less expensive duds..... Develop more young/acad. players in-house (rather than loaning of 500 players every summer)......

Total revamp basically.

Yeah of course, short term. Sell 200M of players to fund two years worth of losses on wages. That wage bill needs to be chopped off by a third and it will take another two years to reduce it even with players contracts expiring

Significantly lower the wage bill....... Buy less expensive duds..... Develop more young/acad. players in-house (rather than loaning of 500 players every summer)......

Total revamp basically.
They still have the 4/5th highest commercial revenue in the league. With City and Utd miles ahead, Liverpool then us/Chelsea. I don't think it's the basket case that many are making it out to be. Obviously they are in a precarious position, but they are "only" a new stadium worse off than us, and they have a glittering on field recent history to use in their commercial dealings.

The real crux of the problem as I see it is this 1.5 billion quid "loan" on the books.

I think that no team has generated as much for player sales as them, whatever the numbers are, this part of their business they are brilliant at and that has been with Abramovich's money being pumped in.

Whoever buys them will indeed need to rely on the massive army of players to generate revenue, I think this will be where they will increase their activity, be more active, I feel they've built up the pool of players and maintain this number by matching the outs and in's. But will now have to shift to selling more than the number they bring in. This can sustain them for a number of years such is the vast number of players they have.

But the bottom line is they need Abramovich's £100m annual investment just to stand still.

There are only two ways to plug this gap 1) Get a Middle East state to buy them to wash their sins 2) Build a new stadium to generate the revenue, that's probably 10yrs off now.

The numbers don't really stack up (they do somewhat stack up if whoever is buying get's it for £1b perhaps)

Last edited:
They still have the 4/5th highest commercial revenue in the league. With City and Utd miles ahead, Liverpool then us/Chelsea. I don't think it's the basket case that many are making it out to be. Obviously they are in a precarious position, but they are "only" a new stadium worse off than us, and they have a glittering on field recent history to use in their commercial dealings.

Sure; and anyone thinking they'll go bankrupt is dreaming....... But that avg. 100m p/a loss need to be eliminated (or continue to be subsidised.)

The real crux of the problem as I see it is this 1.5 billion quid "loan" on the books.

Indeed and that's where the terms of the following tweet comes into play:

When it comes to financial aspects, I learned one thing - never believe what Spurs fans say, it’s likely bollocks. I was also told that we’d compete with the elite clubs in the transfer market once the new stadium was delivered.

When it comes to financial aspects, I learned one thing - never believe what Spurs fans say, it’s likely bollocks. I was also told that we’d compete with Liverpool and Woolwich (meh) in the transfer market once the stadium would be delivered.

It's even less wise to trust dis-ingenuous, ENIC-out number-phobes.

They’ve already pulled the levers of recent on field history for their commercial deals. If they do have reduce wages slightly, they risk dropping out the CL. £100M of their commercial revenue was from CL last season, doesn’t look so clever then

Roman pumped in 250M the season they finished outside about five years ago. It’s a massive issue but yeah the loan is a smoking gun too

The biggest issue is what happens to that commercial revenue when the wage bill is brought within budget. Less success will reduce revenue further. At best they'll be able to keep up with us and the gooners.

Back
Top Bottom