Come here to laugh at Dippers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mane leaving is very bad news for the Dippers; he’s the spearhead of their insane high press. He chases everything all day long, and that creates the early pressure that forces mistakes and keeps the tempo high.
I don’t know whether this Nunez will bring the same work ethic, maybe Klopp can school him (and screen him for asthma, obviously).

Mane leaving is very bad news for the Dippers; he’s the spearhead of their insane high press. He chases everything all day long, and that creates the early pressure that forces mistakes and keeps the tempo high.
I don’t know whether this Nunez will bring the same work ethic, maybe Klopp can school him (and screen him for asthma, obviously).
Nunez is all about the work ethic, still a step down but they would have had to replace soon anyway

Between Nunez (a target man) and a MF centering around Thiago; it's clear they're they'll be forced to move further away from what brought them to the dance...... Even more so if Salah leaving elevates Jota to a starter next summer.

......Meanwhile the city machine will keep on churning.

What the hell does that have to do with their press?

Everything. Their press isn't as intense and is easier to handle(***)..... Isn't the purpose of a high press to force turn-overs in dangerous areas and in turn open up scoring opportunities????

(***......And I suspect their chance creation over 90mins to have gone down.)

Football isn't a science. You can completely dominate one element of play and then lose. Liverpool's press was stifling against us. It pinned us back all game. They then couldn't break us down because we defended valiantly, that doesn't change the fact that when it comes to applying PRESSURE they were very good.

I didn't say it was bad/crap.... Just easier to cope with than it once was.

However, you're also neglecting to acknowledge the tactical aspect of OUR game there..... They didn't push us back; we opted to soak up their pressure.

Surely you remember how much of a class above Thiago was compared to our midfielders in the game against us?!

You mean in a 3 vs 2 CM duel? He was afforded space and time which allowed us to shut them down/out in other areas.

Btw, feel free to cite a more credible source, but player rating in that game 5.7/10.....

....Who's "eyes" are lying to them here?

Regardless... Again, my point here isn't that Thiago is crap.

Because Courtois had the game of his life.

I think you fundamentally misunderstand Thiago's role, tbh.

Not at all.... You've ignored the word "control" in my post (see below).

He's not a direct creator, he conducts play. He helps Liverpool keep possession and will mostly play passes out wide to wing backs who will then play the final ball, because Liverpool's wing backs are their true 'creators'.

Would someone be wrong to suggest that by servicing their key-passers/assisters he's aiding "creativity"

"Surely the creativity and control in Thiago's job description ought to allow them to break teams down?"

In the game vs Madrid the service from said wing backs was overly floaty and Courtois dealt with it.

It's not, tbh. He made the PFA players team of the year for a good reason, other pro's recognise what he does and how good a footballer he is. Liverpool may have suffered in certain areas as a team (their transition to possession football is due to Ljinders, not Thiago) but he as an individual has been exceptional.

I've not questioned the individual's quality.

You started out saying he's improved the team. That's the claim I disagree with.

PFA team of the year isn't a measure of any great credibility (see Son thread...... Cheeky of you to cite it here given your previous stated opinions on it!)

It's nonsense

Errr fella..... You described my inital post as "nonsense".... (Not offended, but nonsense ought to easy to conclusively debunk)

because what, if Villa hold out to City final day and one of Liverpool's many chances vs Madrid goes in, suddenly Thiago has improved them?

......Remind me of where I said that Liverpool are worse because they didn't win the EPL & CL???????

No, I judge his impact with my eyes across a season,

Me too.....

not one off results. Thiago is a miles better footballer than Wijnaldum, he was at the heart of a treble winning Bayern side ffs.

Now your straw-manning me.... I never once suggested Wijnaldum was an all-told better player, but players and systems gel and the right combo's elevate teams beyond the sum of their individual parts (you know this as well as I do; so let's not proceed any further down the shit-house path).

BM? ......So what???? That's irrelevant to whether or not he's improved Liverpool.

Liverpool's transition style wise might not be one you're fond of, but take it up with Ljinders, not Thiago..

Reminder: You said Thiago has improved the TEAM..... Your keen-ness for the individual (so be it) seems to be clouding your focus on what's being debated here.

Simple question, cos it's not exactly clear so far..... If you think Liverpool's MF is better now and that's because Thiago allows them a higher % of possession (and so-called control); what has that possession amounted to in tangible terms?

....Are they winning more games? ....Scoring more goals? ....Conceding less chances?

(Btw.... Let's not go down the path of citing the domestic cups... The big difference this year is that it's the first season Klopp didn't bin them off.)

(Anyway .. that's my last post on this, otherwise it's in danger of becoming the Liverpool thread ..)

No probs..... We're in the right thread now. :)

Everything. Their press isn't as intense and is easier to handle(***)..... Isn't the purpose of a high press to force turn-overs in dangerous areas and in turn open up scoring opportunities????

(***......And I suspect their chance creation over 90mins to have gone down.)

I didn't say it was bad/crap.... Just easier to cope with than it once was.

However, you're also neglecting to acknowledge the tactical aspect of OUR game there..... They didn't push us back; we opted to soak up their pressure.

You mean in a 3 vs 2 CM duel? He was afforded space and time which allowed us to shut them down/out in other areas.

Btw, feel free to cite a more credible source, but player rating in that game 5.7/10.....

....Who's "eyes" are lying to them here?

Regardless... Again, my point here isn't that Thiago is crap.

Not at all.... You've ignored the word "control" in my post (see below).

Would someone be wrong to suggest that by servicing their key-passers/assisters he's aiding "creativity"

"Surely the creativity and control in Thiago's job description ought to allow them to break teams down?"

I've not questioned the individual's quality.

You started out saying he's improved the team. That's the claim I disagree with.

PFA team of the year isn't a measure of any great credibility (see Son thread...... Cheeky of you to cite it here given your previous stated opinions on it!)

Errr fella..... You described my inital post as "nonsense".... (Not offended, but nonsense ought to easy to conclusively debunk)

......Remind me of where I said that Liverpool are worse because they didn't win the EPL & CL???????

Me too.....

Now your straw-manning me.... I never once suggested Wijnaldum was an all-told better player, but players and systems gel and the right combo's elevate teams beyond the sum of their individual parts (you know this as well as I do; so let's not proceed any further down the shit-house path).

BM? ......So what???? That's irrelevant to whether or not he's improved Liverpool.

Reminder: You said Thiago has improved the TEAM..... Your keen-ness for the individual (so be it) seems to be clouding your focus on what's being debated here.

Simple question, cos it's not exactly clear so far..... If you think Liverpool's MF is better now and that's because Thiago allows them a higher % of possession (and so-called control); what has that possession amounted to in tangible terms?

....Are they winning more games? ....Scoring more goals? ....Conceding less chances?

(Btw.... Let's not go down the path of citing the domestic cups... The big difference this year is that it's the first season Klopp didn't bin them off.)

No probs..... We're in the right thread now. :)

The loss of Firmino has been key to any loss of intensity .. he was the best from the front presser in the league, they've also (as I mentioned earlier) had a few players age and all that + the loss of Buvac has led to the necessary transition to a more possession oriented system.

No, they definitely did push us back. Go watch the game again, we tried to play out so many times and couldn't. There's no way that was the tactic. Bentancur/Romero especially were just turning over possession on the edge of our box repeatedly. We were getting slaughtered by the press but managing to prevent them from scoring.

He was still a class act. Dictated play, couldn't lose the ball, and created a number of openings whilst winning possession back on numerous occasions. The best midfielder on the pitch and it wasn't particularly close.

I had a look at numerous player rating websites post game and almost all had him minimum on a 7.5, BBC ratings are terrible and based on a weird aggregate.

Their xG from open play last season was 68, it was 60 in 18/19 which is what you're saying was their peak .. so yes as a team they've statistically become more creative. Thiago has been a big part of that as he affords them much more control of matches.

I think it's nonsense that they're a) conclusively a worse team than in 18/18 and b) that any decline would be down to going from Wijnaldum to Thiago. Any new weaknesses would more likely come from a factor like Firmino in his prime being a far better player than Jota.

Thiago works very well with Liverpool's new setup. Under Ljinders they've become a different team, the heavy metal style isn't feasible as the team evolves. If you swapped Wijnaldum in this season there's no way they'd be a better team for it.

Less running necessary throughout the season due to more possession/control = more ability to compete on numerous fronts. It's also a necessary evolution as the team ages & teams become more likely to setup to counter the gegenpress.

He binned them off in the past because the style wouldn't work over 4 competitions. Their evolution has allowed them to press furiously when needed but also retain possession.

My point is simple: Thiago for Wijnaldum has improved the team. Liverpool may not be a better team overall in your eyes but that switch itself isn't responsible for that, it's more likely post-injury VVD not being quite as dominant or Firmino's decline has caused that.

(also, I wouldn't be so sure, I got told off for saying Woolwich's potential signings didn't suck in the laugh at Woolwich thread .. I assume people here also think this thread should only be for mocking Liverpool.)

Robertson looks....well Scottish

59305163-10935333-image-m-42_1655746268125.jpg

Mane was a proper nugget for Liverpool.

Put it this way, he is one of the very few players who I would say bettered what Son has done for us in comparative terms.

It remains to be seen if he can replicate his success at Bayern, but 30 is a good age for a footballer.

Hopefully Liverpool are less of a team with his departure

The loss of Firmino has been key to any loss of intensity .. he was the best from the front presser in the league, they've also (as I mentioned earlier) had a few players age and all that + the loss of Buvac has led to the necessary transition to a more possession oriented system.

No, they definitely did push us back. Go watch the game again, we tried to play out so many times and couldn't. There's no way that was the tactic. Bentancur/Romero especially were just turning over possession on the edge of our box repeatedly. We were getting slaughtered by the press but managing to prevent them from scoring.

He was still a class act. Dictated play, couldn't lose the ball, and created a number of openings whilst winning possession back on numerous occasions. The best midfielder on the pitch and it wasn't particularly close.

I had a look at numerous player rating websites post game and almost all had him minimum on a 7.5, BBC ratings are terrible and based on a weird aggregate.

Their xG from open play last season was 68, it was 60 in 18/19 which is what you're saying was their peak .. so yes as a team they've statistically become more creative. Thiago has been a big part of that as he affords them much more control of matches.

I think it's nonsense that they're a) conclusively a worse team than in 18/18 and b) that any decline would be down to going from Wijnaldum to Thiago. Any new weaknesses would more likely come from a factor like Firmino in his prime being a far better player than Jota.

Thiago works very well with Liverpool's new setup. Under Ljinders they've become a different team, the heavy metal style isn't feasible as the team evolves. If you swapped Wijnaldum in this season there's no way they'd be a better team for it.

Less running necessary throughout the season due to more possession/control = more ability to compete on numerous fronts. It's also a necessary evolution as the team ages & teams become more likely to setup to counter the gegenpress.

He binned them off in the past because the style wouldn't work over 4 competitions. Their evolution has allowed them to press furiously when needed but also retain possession.

My point is simple: Thiago for Wijnaldum has improved the team. Liverpool may not be a better team overall in your eyes but that switch itself isn't responsible for that, it's more likely post-injury VVD not being quite as dominant or Firmino's decline has caused that.

(also, I wouldn't be so sure, I got told off for saying Woolwich's potential signings didn't suck in the laugh at Woolwich thread .. I assume people here also think this thread should only be for mocking Liverpool.)
What's a Buvac??? Some kind of PED or something?

So would you suggest that now they have younger guys in the form of Diaz, Nunez, Jota, Keita making more appearances and the like of the other young lads supplementing the MF too that they'll return to 'heavy metal' this season?

(Somewhat different topic, but why should a change of assistant necessitate a change of system? ....Perhaps it was a conscious decision when recruiting the new guy, but not sure why it should dictate a change of tact.)

If you think that our tactical intent was to play out a MF battle and operate more in the middle third then we'll have to agree to disagree.

Maybe we're trading in semantics, but I don't see turnover in our defensive 3rd as being "pushed back" if we were already prepared to operate there and bypass much of the MF play.

Such as? Like I said...... I'm sure there are better sources out there than the BBC.

Errrr... You've specified that season; not me. I've only refered to pre and post Thiago.

Where'd you get that XG from.....? Rather than put the onus of further research on you, I'll happily satisfy myself from there.

Also, I didn't specifically say that they're worse; nor that it's exclusively a case of Thiago vs Wijnaldum.

.....I'm disputing the idea that Thiago has made them better. You too are now citing other factors (eg a broader change of tactics/ethos), so it's clearly not as black and white as your OG post suggested.

I don't agree that they're notably better.

(see last para)

He used to play kids... Now he's got better depth and doesn't have to. They were also not further stretched by charity shield, world club cup, super-cup and all that other jazz this season.

I'd counter argue that your MF energy and thrust is what allows your FWD line to press with conviction; knowing that their efforts will be replicated from those supporting them from behind (in both directions; should their lines get breached). As far as VVD goes; I'd offer that he isn't as well protected as he was in the old MF.

Probably no concession in the pipeline from either side, but thanks for the debate.

Liverpool's transfer guru Michael Edwards was hailed as 'instrumental' in masterminding Jurgen Klopp's greatest signings like Mane, Salah and van Dijk - so it's no surprise rivals Chelsea and Man United both want him to kickstart their new eras​

• Transfer guru Michael Edwards built Liverpool a Premier League-winning team
  • The sporting director left the Reds this year after holding the role since 2016
  • Manchester United and Chelsea are said to be interested in snapping him up
  • The Blues need to replace departing long-serving director Marina Granovskaia
  • While the Red Devils are in desperate need of an Old Trafford rebuild in summer
By ISABEL BALDWIN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 22:00 BST, 23 June 2022 | UPDATED: 22:00 BST, 23 June 2022

Liverpool's transfer guru Michael Edwards has been the mastermind behind some of the Reds' most successful and frankly genius transfer deals since becoming sporting director in November 2016.

Edwards has been pivotal in building a side that won the club's sixth Champions League trophy, ended their 30-year wait for the Premier League title and added four more trophies to their cabinet.

He also excelled at strategically offloading players for sensational fees - squeezing £142million out of Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho which was swiftly invested into Virgil van Dijk and Alisson.

But in a blow to Jurgen Klopp and Co, the sporting director left Anfield earlier this year and their Premier League rivals are already waiting in the wings to snap him up.

Sportsmail revealed that Manchester United and Chelsea are interested in Edwards as the two top-flight giants look to strengthen their recruitment operations.

It is not surprising either side are attracted to Edwards given the huge success he had at Anfield and if they can secure his services, they would be pulling off a major coup.

He joined Liverpool in 2011 as head of analytics before a number of promotions eventually saw him take up the role as sporting director.

His first signing of his first summer window at the helm of Liverpool's transfers is arguably his best as he snapped up Mohamed Salah for £39m. After scoring 156 goals in 254 the Kop's Egyptian King has more than paid for his price tag.

Edwards later secured Andrew Robertson for a price tag of £8m which now looks like pennies as his market value has increased many times over.

He also masterminded some often underrated signings such as Fabinho and Thiago, as well as kickstarting Liverpool 2.0 by bringing in Luis Diaz as the Reds look to build for the future.

With football often hinging on the high stakes of business transactions these days, Edwards was strategic in the market with a hallmark of his work being his ability to strategise both the comings and goings at Anfield.

He not only pulled off some of the club's most successful signings but also sanctioning remarkable sales to fund their purchases.

He refused to blink when Barcelona came calling for Coutinho, until Klopp was ready to sanction the sale, by which point the Catalans had already well and truly shown their hand and Liverpool held all the cards.

The £142m they recuperated from the loss of the Brazilian went on to fund the backbone of a Premier League and Champions League-winning side - Van Dijk and Alisson.

While Coutinho may be the best example, but his other pieces of business were remarkable, such as brokering deals worth beyond £40m with Bournemouth for Brad Smith, Jordon Ibe and Dominic Solanke.

He also oversaw Kevin Stewart's £8m move to Hull City in July 2017 - that same day Robertson arrived from the Tigers for the same fee.

Edwards made £25.38m from offloading controversial Mamadou Sakho to Crystal Palace following the defender's Anfield saga which included failing a UEFA drugs test and explosive fallings out with Klopp.
He was also key in Liverpool's strategy of player retention last summer, which has seen the club tie down Van Dijk, Alisson, Fabinho, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and captain Jordan Henderson.

Naturally, Edwards hasn't had a perfect track record but the number of successes strongly outweighs the flops.

Takumi Minamino for £7.25m and Naby Keita for £52.75m come to mind as among Edwards' less successful business ventures but considering they are both Premier League champions they possibly can't be classed as failures.

After several dazzling years at Anfield, Edwards's masterstrokes of transfers have rightfully garnered him praise and a stellar reputation - one which is no doubt responsible for the interest of United and Chelsea.

Club chairman Tom Werner claimed Edwards's reign had been instrumental in Liverpool's success as he paid tribute to the sporting director.

'I want to acknowledge Michael's reign as sporting director. It will end after Paris. He's been instrumental,' Werner told The Athletic.

'You could point to player after player who was identified before they became superstars. Going back to Mohamed Salah, Michael identified him.

'He's very quiet about the way he goes about his business but he's really been critical to our success. We're competing against clubs who spend massive amounts of money on transfers. One of Michael's correct strategies once we've identified players is making sure there's an extension of those contracts.'

On the loss of his backroom genius Klopp claimed the club were fortunate and blessed to have had Edwards work with them.

Klopp said: 'I wish Michael and his wonderful family all the best, for whatever they choose to do next.

'I know he isn't leaving immediately or in haste, which is cool, so we still have some time to work together. If we are as fortunate and blessed as we have been so far, maybe we can create more special memories for our club in this remaining time.'

'He has been a constant presence during my period at LFC and his contribution to our success is clear for everyone to see.'

Last year, Jamie Carragher claimed he feared for the future of the club should Edwards and Klopp leave Merseyside.

'Over the past six years, Liverpool have been among the best-run clubs in world football,' said Carragher in the Telegraph.

'But I have a nagging fear. How long can they keep beating the system to challenge for the Premier League and Champions League?

'With sporting director Michael Edwards delaying extending his contract beyond this season, and Klopp unlikely to stay beyond 2024, many supporters are wondering if Liverpool's success is despite their business model rather than because of it; the product of amazing individuals rather than an amazing plan. [...]

'Should Edwards not renew his deal, does FSG have so much faith in their model that replacements can slot into place and keep the engine running?

'You can understand why supporters fear Klopp and to some extent Edwards are irreplaceable.'

Another club legend, Steven Gerrard, has hailed the transfer guru, insisting Reds fans adore Edwards.

The Aston Villa boss told BT Sport in May: 'I don't think that he has had enough credit outside of Liverpool, but obviously being in the city and spending a lot of time over the years around Michael, make no mistake, the Liverpool fans adore him and really appreciate the role that he has played.'

Meanwhile, former United defender Rio Ferdinand claimed Edwards had only made two mistakes in the market during his Anfield reign.

Speaking on his YouTube channel in March, Ferdinand said: 'The recruitment, the players come in and they hit the ground running.

'They don't get many wrong you know, Minamino might be one, but he scored the other day…

'But Minamino is probably one where you say you could get more out of him.

'[Naby] Keita maybe as well, but after that, [Kostas] Tsimikas comes in and plays well, they just get it right.'

If United and Chelsea are successful in their attempts to snatch up the transfer genius, they will stand to inherit a director with impressive pedigree.

However, whether Edwards decides to commit to one of Liverpool's top-flight rials or if he will suit either club remains to be seen.

United are in the midst of revamping their recruitment set-up, work which is being led by football director John Murtough.

And multiple sources claim that Edwards is of interest to the new-look Old Trafford regime as they continue to overhaul their transfer team.

It is unclear if Edwards would be open to joining United given his ties to arch-rivals Liverpool and if so how well he would get along with the club hierarchy.

The club's structure is in slight disarray currently with senior scouts Jim Lawlor and Marcel Bout along with director of negotiations Matt Judge leaving.

The scouting department is reportedly being led by Steve Brown, who reports to John Murtough.

Brown and Murough, along with new manager Erik ten Hag, are said to have vetoes on prospective targets, according to ESPN.

Edwards is said to have clashed with former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers over potential deals and the Northern Irishman would often over-wield his veto card.

Rodgers saw Edwards as a threat to his authority, according to The Athletic, and reportedly pushed through the signing of Mario Balotelli against the Reds' transfer committee's wishes.

And Edwards may not want to revisit working under such a strict veto culture again.

Furthermore, Murtough is said to be now heading all of the club's football operations with Andy O'Boyle named United's deputy football director, providing support to Murtough. It is unclear if there is any space for Edwards within United's hierarchy.

United are sure to present a challenge for Edwards to get stuck into if he does make the move down the M64.

The Red Devils are in dire need of a complete overhaul this summer and Ten Hag looks to begin his rebuild.

While presenting the opportunity to be part of an ambitious project at Old Trafford, Edwards would certainly be pushed to the limit and given he is said to be hesitant about joining any club this summer, after leaving Liverpool this summer with a view to taking a break from the game, United's situation could prove to be a deterrent.

Meanwhile, it is said Chelsea have also approached Liverpool's ex-transfer guru.

It is understood that Chelsea's new owners, Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital, have explored the possibility of appointing Edwards to a senior recruitment position after confirming the departure of long-serving director Marina Granovskaia, who controlled the club's transfer negotiations.

Boehly himself is set to act as interim sporting director during the search for a successor whilst Granovskaia will still advise the west London club between now and the end of the summer transfer window.

Granovskaia has been as crucial to Chelsea's transfer operations as Edwards has to Liverpool's, swiftly cementing herself as the 'First Lady of Football'.

The Russian-Canadian kept a relatively low profile at Stamford Bridge, prefering to operate from the shadows, similarly to Edwards, who is renowned for avoiding the media and shunning the limelight.

Harry Redknapp, who had been Portsmouth manager when Edwards got his big break there, described him as 'a very inoffensive, quiet guy'.

'He isn't the most stereotypical football director,' Redknapp told The Athletic. 'In fact, he is probably the most un-stereotypical.

'You won't often see him in a suit. He isn't a go-getting, big-personality kind of guy. You look at him, he used to have this spiky hair… a very inoffensive, quiet guy. You'd probably think he should be standing behind the goal.'

Given their similar quiet natures, Edwards could be the perfect match to step straight into Granovskaia's shoes.

Meanwhile, with Chelsea already possessing a side that boasts a host of World Class talent, the project at Stamford Bridge would only require a few tweaks - unlike the major overhaul needed at Old Trafford.

And, from a financial perspective, Edwards would likely be given freedom over his targets.

Chelsea is more likely to provide a straightforward start to life post-Liverpool and a huge contrast to United.

It remains to be seen where Edwards next destination is - United, Chelsea or the moer well-deserved option of the beach - but one thing is clear wherever he ends up he will head there with a stellar reputation in tow.

EDWARDS' BIG DEALS​

INCOMINGS:
Mohamed Salah - £39m
Virgil van Dijk - £75m
Alisson Becker - £65m
Sadio Mane - £30m
Andy Robertson - £8m
Georginio Wijnaldum - £25m

OUTGOINGS:
Philippe Coutinho - £146m
Rhian Brewster - £23.5m
Danny Ings - £20m
Dominic Solanke - £19m
Mamadou Sakho - £18m
Danny Ward - £12.5m

Liverpool's transfer guru Michael Edwards was hailed as 'instrumental' in masterminding Jurgen Klopp's greatest signings like Mane, Salah and van Dijk - so it's no surprise rivals Chelsea and Man United both want him to kickstart their new eras​

• Transfer guru Michael Edwards built Liverpool a Premier League-winning team
  • The sporting director left the Reds this year after holding the role since 2016
  • Manchester United and Chelsea are said to be interested in snapping him up
  • The Blues need to replace departing long-serving director Marina Granovskaia
  • While the Red Devils are in desperate need of an Old Trafford rebuild in summer
By ISABEL BALDWIN FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 22:00 BST, 23 June 2022 | UPDATED: 22:00 BST, 23 June 2022

Liverpool's transfer guru Michael Edwards has been the mastermind behind some of the Reds' most successful and frankly genius transfer deals since becoming sporting director in November 2016.

Edwards has been pivotal in building a side that won the club's sixth Champions League trophy, ended their 30-year wait for the Premier League title and added four more trophies to their cabinet.

He also excelled at strategically offloading players for sensational fees - squeezing £142million out of Barcelona for Philippe Coutinho which was swiftly invested into Virgil van Dijk and Alisson.

But in a blow to Jurgen Klopp and Co, the sporting director left Anfield earlier this year and their Premier League rivals are already waiting in the wings to snap him up.

Sportsmail revealed that Manchester United and Chelsea are interested in Edwards as the two top-flight giants look to strengthen their recruitment operations.

It is not surprising either side are attracted to Edwards given the huge success he had at Anfield and if they can secure his services, they would be pulling off a major coup.

He joined Liverpool in 2011 as head of analytics before a number of promotions eventually saw him take up the role as sporting director.

His first signing of his first summer window at the helm of Liverpool's transfers is arguably his best as he snapped up Mohamed Salah for £39m. After scoring 156 goals in 254 the Kop's Egyptian King has more than paid for his price tag.

Edwards later secured Andrew Robertson for a price tag of £8m which now looks like pennies as his market value has increased many times over.

He also masterminded some often underrated signings such as Fabinho and Thiago, as well as kickstarting Liverpool 2.0 by bringing in Luis Diaz as the Reds look to build for the future.

With football often hinging on the high stakes of business transactions these days, Edwards was strategic in the market with a hallmark of his work being his ability to strategise both the comings and goings at Anfield.

He not only pulled off some of the club's most successful signings but also sanctioning remarkable sales to fund their purchases.

He refused to blink when Barcelona came calling for Coutinho, until Klopp was ready to sanction the sale, by which point the Catalans had already well and truly shown their hand and Liverpool held all the cards.

The £142m they recuperated from the loss of the Brazilian went on to fund the backbone of a Premier League and Champions League-winning side - Van Dijk and Alisson.

While Coutinho may be the best example, but his other pieces of business were remarkable, such as brokering deals worth beyond £40m with Bournemouth for Brad Smith, Jordon Ibe and Dominic Solanke.

He also oversaw Kevin Stewart's £8m move to Hull City in July 2017 - that same day Robertson arrived from the Tigers for the same fee.

Edwards made £25.38m from offloading controversial Mamadou Sakho to Crystal Palace following the defender's Anfield saga which included failing a UEFA drugs test and explosive fallings out with Klopp.
He was also key in Liverpool's strategy of player retention last summer, which has seen the club tie down Van Dijk, Alisson, Fabinho, Trent Alexander-Arnold, Robertson and captain Jordan Henderson.

Naturally, Edwards hasn't had a perfect track record but the number of successes strongly outweighs the flops.

Takumi Minamino for £7.25m and Naby Keita for £52.75m come to mind as among Edwards' less successful business ventures but considering they are both Premier League champions they possibly can't be classed as failures.

After several dazzling years at Anfield, Edwards's masterstrokes of transfers have rightfully garnered him praise and a stellar reputation - one which is no doubt responsible for the interest of United and Chelsea.

Club chairman Tom Werner claimed Edwards's reign had been instrumental in Liverpool's success as he paid tribute to the sporting director.

'I want to acknowledge Michael's reign as sporting director. It will end after Paris. He's been instrumental,' Werner told The Athletic.

'You could point to player after player who was identified before they became superstars. Going back to Mohamed Salah, Michael identified him.

'He's very quiet about the way he goes about his business but he's really been critical to our success. We're competing against clubs who spend massive amounts of money on transfers. One of Michael's correct strategies once we've identified players is making sure there's an extension of those contracts.'

On the loss of his backroom genius Klopp claimed the club were fortunate and blessed to have had Edwards work with them.

Klopp said: 'I wish Michael and his wonderful family all the best, for whatever they choose to do next.

'I know he isn't leaving immediately or in haste, which is cool, so we still have some time to work together. If we are as fortunate and blessed as we have been so far, maybe we can create more special memories for our club in this remaining time.'

'He has been a constant presence during my period at LFC and his contribution to our success is clear for everyone to see.'

Last year, Jamie Carragher claimed he feared for the future of the club should Edwards and Klopp leave Merseyside.

'Over the past six years, Liverpool have been among the best-run clubs in world football,' said Carragher in the Telegraph.

'But I have a nagging fear. How long can they keep beating the system to challenge for the Premier League and Champions League?

'With sporting director Michael Edwards delaying extending his contract beyond this season, and Klopp unlikely to stay beyond 2024, many supporters are wondering if Liverpool's success is despite their business model rather than because of it; the product of amazing individuals rather than an amazing plan. [...]

'Should Edwards not renew his deal, does FSG have so much faith in their model that replacements can slot into place and keep the engine running?

'You can understand why supporters fear Klopp and to some extent Edwards are irreplaceable.'

Another club legend, Steven Gerrard, has hailed the transfer guru, insisting Reds fans adore Edwards.

The Aston Villa boss told BT Sport in May: 'I don't think that he has had enough credit outside of Liverpool, but obviously being in the city and spending a lot of time over the years around Michael, make no mistake, the Liverpool fans adore him and really appreciate the role that he has played.'

Meanwhile, former United defender Rio Ferdinand claimed Edwards had only made two mistakes in the market during his Anfield reign.

Speaking on his YouTube channel in March, Ferdinand said: 'The recruitment, the players come in and they hit the ground running.

'They don't get many wrong you know, Minamino might be one, but he scored the other day…

'But Minamino is probably one where you say you could get more out of him.

'[Naby] Keita maybe as well, but after that, [Kostas] Tsimikas comes in and plays well, they just get it right.'

If United and Chelsea are successful in their attempts to snatch up the transfer genius, they will stand to inherit a director with impressive pedigree.

However, whether Edwards decides to commit to one of Liverpool's top-flight rials or if he will suit either club remains to be seen.

United are in the midst of revamping their recruitment set-up, work which is being led by football director John Murtough.

And multiple sources claim that Edwards is of interest to the new-look Old Trafford regime as they continue to overhaul their transfer team.

It is unclear if Edwards would be open to joining United given his ties to arch-rivals Liverpool and if so how well he would get along with the club hierarchy.

The club's structure is in slight disarray currently with senior scouts Jim Lawlor and Marcel Bout along with director of negotiations Matt Judge leaving.

The scouting department is reportedly being led by Steve Brown, who reports to John Murtough.

Brown and Murough, along with new manager Erik ten Hag, are said to have vetoes on prospective targets, according to ESPN.

Edwards is said to have clashed with former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers over potential deals and the Northern Irishman would often over-wield his veto card.

Rodgers saw Edwards as a threat to his authority, according to The Athletic, and reportedly pushed through the signing of Mario Balotelli against the Reds' transfer committee's wishes.

And Edwards may not want to revisit working under such a strict veto culture again.

Furthermore, Murtough is said to be now heading all of the club's football operations with Andy O'Boyle named United's deputy football director, providing support to Murtough. It is unclear if there is any space for Edwards within United's hierarchy.

United are sure to present a challenge for Edwards to get stuck into if he does make the move down the M64.

The Red Devils are in dire need of a complete overhaul this summer and Ten Hag looks to begin his rebuild.

While presenting the opportunity to be part of an ambitious project at Old Trafford, Edwards would certainly be pushed to the limit and given he is said to be hesitant about joining any club this summer, after leaving Liverpool this summer with a view to taking a break from the game, United's situation could prove to be a deterrent.

Meanwhile, it is said Chelsea have also approached Liverpool's ex-transfer guru.

It is understood that Chelsea's new owners, Todd Boehly and Clearlake Capital, have explored the possibility of appointing Edwards to a senior recruitment position after confirming the departure of long-serving director Marina Granovskaia, who controlled the club's transfer negotiations.

Boehly himself is set to act as interim sporting director during the search for a successor whilst Granovskaia will still advise the west London club between now and the end of the summer transfer window.

Granovskaia has been as crucial to Chelsea's transfer operations as Edwards has to Liverpool's, swiftly cementing herself as the 'First Lady of Football'.

The Russian-Canadian kept a relatively low profile at Stamford Bridge, prefering to operate from the shadows, similarly to Edwards, who is renowned for avoiding the media and shunning the limelight.

Harry Redknapp, who had been Portsmouth manager when Edwards got his big break there, described him as 'a very inoffensive, quiet guy'.

'He isn't the most stereotypical football director,' Redknapp told The Athletic. 'In fact, he is probably the most un-stereotypical.

'You won't often see him in a suit. He isn't a go-getting, big-personality kind of guy. You look at him, he used to have this spiky hair… a very inoffensive, quiet guy. You'd probably think he should be standing behind the goal.'

Given their similar quiet natures, Edwards could be the perfect match to step straight into Granovskaia's shoes.

Meanwhile, with Chelsea already possessing a side that boasts a host of World Class talent, the project at Stamford Bridge would only require a few tweaks - unlike the major overhaul needed at Old Trafford.

And, from a financial perspective, Edwards would likely be given freedom over his targets.

Chelsea is more likely to provide a straightforward start to life post-Liverpool and a huge contrast to United.

It remains to be seen where Edwards next destination is - United, Chelsea or the moer well-deserved option of the beach - but one thing is clear wherever he ends up he will head there with a stellar reputation in tow.

EDWARDS' BIG DEALS​

INCOMINGS:
Mohamed Salah - £39m
Virgil van Dijk - £75m
Alisson Becker - £65m
Sadio Mane - £30m
Andy Robertson - £8m
Georginio Wijnaldum - £25m

OUTGOINGS:
Philippe Coutinho - £146m
Rhian Brewster - £23.5m
Danny Ings - £20m
Dominic Solanke - £19m
Mamadou Sakho - £18m
Danny Ward - £12.5m

Edwards was at Spurs for about 2 years. Apparently fell out with Redknapp who preferred 'old fashioned' scouting and watching players versus Edwards 'analytics'

Back
Top Bottom