Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not sure it is really, seems to be one of these outrageous things that's blown out of proportion by the Sun/Daily Mail to boil peoples piss.

Culturally british people just have more decorum and aren't exhibitionists like our american cousins. As a result people that do overtly display flags tend to be trying to make a statement rather than a passive display of cultural identity
I know what you're saying, and this is not the first time the flying of the flag of St George or the Union Jack has caused controversy. I just think it's sad that people feel they can't fly their flag without being deemed as racists.

I know this happened last week, but why does it look like they are doing their kit launch on an Angel Market stall...

DfGQ8Q9WAAEAdH5

How the ‘mighty’ have fallen.
Parlour? Whose idea was to invite the bastard son of worzel gummidge to a kit launch

Last edited:
Is it just me that thinks "BNP cunts" whenever i walk past a house that has a union jack on display (particularly when we're talking a full size flag on a fucking pole in their garden)...?

Tell me what that's for if not to signal to 'Johnny Foreigner' who's turf they're on?

No one flies the Union Flag at football any more. English football fans used to until the (late?) 1980s but as the fans of all the other home nations only flew their own national flag, we started to gradually follow suit with the cross of St George.

As for the question, when I see someone flying either of those flags I think they are either proud to be British or English in the same way as someone flying the Saltire or Tricolor is proud of their own country.

I don't assume they are racist. Isn't that as bigoted as someone who assumes all Muslims are suicide bombers?

No one flies the Union Flag at football any more. English football fans used to until the (late?) 1980s but as the fans of all the other home nations only flew their own national flag, we started to gradually follow suit with the cross of St George.

As for the question, when I see someone flying either of those flags I think they are either proud to be British or English in the same way as someone flying the Saltire or Tricolor is proud of their own country.

I don't assume they are racist. Isn't that as bigoted as someone who assumes all Muslims are suicide bombers?

I get that its all part of the fun when it comes to sporting events, the royal weddings and stuff.

Im just a bit weary of 'flag waving' without occasion altogether, but when it comes to the kind of huge feckin military-style mast i can see from my bedroom window it seems a bit extreme and somewhat in ones face.

I know what you're saying, and this is not the first time the flying of the flag of St George or the Union Jack has caused controversy. I just think it's sad that people feel they can't fly their flag without being deemed as racists.

As others have posted most of the ' controversy' is dreamed up by journalists and white middle class types with their PC agenda who like to get offended and bleat about on behalf of everyone with a brown or black face, people then get wound up actually believing it

One bloke who lives near me has a st George flag on his car, his mum is from barbados, the seiks who run the local shop have a flag in their window as well......just a shame they support Liverpool but I have enjoyed going in their shop recently!!!

Guess for journalists these examples are not as exciting to report about!!

As others have posted most of the ' controversy' is dreamed up by journalists and white middle class types with their PC agenda who like to get offended and bleat about on behalf of everyone with a brown or black face, people then get wound up actually believing it

One bloke who lives near me has a st George flag on his car, his mum is from barbados, the seiks who run the local shop have a flag in their window as well......just a shame they support Liverpool but I have enjoyed going in their shop recently!!!

Guess for journalists these examples are not as exciting to report about!!

See it all the time. White liberals getting offended on behalf of ethnic minorities. Many times I have asked 'ethnic minority' colleagues at work what they think about some topic that the Islington Guardianistas are getting all hot under the collar over and pretty much on every occasion they couldn't give a toss.

I never waved the Israeli flag, I waved a red\black one when I was younger, and ironically the only national flag I have is tottenham st. george. I'm not into flying flags, but claiming that flying a flag makes you racist is a stupid notion, it might mean that you're stupid seeing some significance in a piece of fabric.
Likewise being opposed to a flag because of past uses the flag bearers did is dumb, almost every symbolism men created were at some point used in horrible ways, that doesn't disqualify that symbol from use. Exceptions are Nazi germany flag, or confederate flag where the symbol involved was created to be hateful and not merely used to denote it at some point or used by people who did bad things

It is most likely the horrific things that were done to Australia's indigenous people and that the flag is a symbol of the land that was built upon that suffering. The UK has a similarly murky past (as does Canada...).
It is not the indigenous people that are offended though

I never waved the Israeli flag, I waved a red\black one when I was younger, and ironically the only national flag I have is tottenham st. george. I'm not into flying flags, but claiming that flying a flag makes you racist is a stupid notion, it might mean that you're stupid seeing some significance in a piece of fabric.
Likewise being opposed to a flag because of past uses the flag bearers did is dumb, almost every symbolism men created were at some point used in horrible ways, that doesn't disqualify that symbol from use. Exceptions are Nazi germany flag, or confederate flag where the symbol involved was created to be hateful and not merely used to denote it at some point or used by people who did bad things
But, technically, the Union Jack is itself a symbolic record of foreign conquest and subjugation.

:hugoshock:

But in all seriousness, if you want a flag then get a flag. If you don’t care, then don’t care. People getting bent over cloth is silly.

It is not the indigenous people that are offended though
Your comments are moving further along the ridiculous spectrum. You're speaking on behalf of indigenous people about something you clearly cannot comprehend *and* you seem to believe that only indigenous people should be offended by such a matter.

But to prove your point even further: In the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, swastika means "well-being". The symbol has been used by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains for millennia and is commonly assumed to be an Indian sign. It was "stolen" by the Nazi's and because of them it's been given a totally different meaning.

But to prove your point even further: In the ancient Indian language of Sanskrit, swastika means "well-being". The symbol has been used by Hindus, Buddhists and Jains for millennia and is commonly assumed to be an Indian sign. It was "stolen" by the Nazi's and because of them it's been given a totally different meaning.
There's an ancient synagogue next to sea of Galilee with Swastika carved in stone. Most ancient religions had a fascination with symmetric and semi symmetric shapes

Likewise being opposed to a flag because of past uses the flag bearers did is dumb...Exceptions are Nazi germany flag, or confederate flag where the symbol involved was created to be hateful
I don't believe you can really make exceptions in such cases. The British Empire committed horrific acts of genocide; why is the St. George's Cross not among your exceptions? The two flags you cite were not created to be hateful; they were a symbol of a set of beliefs (incredibly whack) that their creators believed were justified. And yes, I know I'm a loony-lefty liberal snowflake SJW. Sorry about that.

It just goes to show how fucking lame Woolwich have become when they've dropped off the radar to such an extent that we're debating flags in this thread.

FUCK THOSE SCUMMERS!

I don't believe you can really make exceptions in such cases. The British Empire committed horrific acts of genocide; why is the St. George's Cross not among your exceptions? The two flags you cite were not created to be hateful; they were a symbol of a set of beliefs (incredibly whack) that their creators believed were justified. And yes, I know I'm a loony-lefty liberal snowflake SJW. Sorry about that.

It just goes to show how fucking lame Woolwich have become when they've dropped off the radar to such an extent that we're debating flags in this thread.

FUCK THOSE SCUMMERS!
A. the st. george is not a symbol of the british empire, was used centuries before and not only by English people
B. when british empire committed said atrocities it wasn't the st. George waving from HM's ships.
C. the ideology that drove colonialism was mistaken but not outright evil, morality is not determined only by consequences but also by intentions. Colonialism was bad, but that we judge in hindsight, Nazism was bad and it was reasonably known at the time so we could have judged it ex ante.

A. the st. george is not a symbol of the british empire, was used centuries before and not only by English people
B. when british empire committed said atrocities it wasn't the st. George waving from HM's ships.
C. the ideology that drove colonialism was mistaken but not outright evil, morality is not determined only by consequences but also by intentions. Colonialism was bad, but that we judge in hindsight, Nazism was bad and it was reasonably known at the time so we could have judged it ex ante.
The George's Cross is slap bang in the middle of the Union Jack, and was a symbol of the National Front and later the EDL. It is also a military symbol, and linked to the crusades (imperialism).

I don't think that the atrocities carried out in the name of colonialism can be normalised in the way you suggest. In fact, it's absurd of you to do so. To say the imperialists were somehow unaware that what they were doing was wrong is disingenuous; sailing somewhere, taking control through force, and killing all opposition is only mistaken?

The Nazis thought they were doing the right thing too. If they'd have won, people would be saying that it was mistaken, but that we shouldn't judge with hindsight. Don't forget that history is the account of the victors in most cases.

But anyway, don't you wish Woolwich would do something embarrassing so that we can laugh at them a bit?

Back
Top Bottom