Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lol I wouldn't say they'd get relegated but if they had no Europe next season, I would suggest they'd do much better in the league than they have this year. Now they have to juggle Europe too, I can't see them getting anywhere near the top 6
Bright side of life eh?
I’d rather struggle a bit next season having to contend with EL having won the FA cup, rather than have to contend with EL cup having won fuck all (again)

Sorry for ranting a bit.
I will get back under my stone for a while to lick my wounds about this. Fucking despicable club they are.

Bright side of life eh?
I’d rather struggle a bit next season having to contend with EL having won the FA cup, rather than have to contend with EL cup having won fuck all (again)

Sorry for ranting a bit.
I will get back under my stone for a while to lick my wounds about this. Fucking despicable club they are.

No need for sorry. I'm as gutted as you are that they won. Just choosing to look for some positives in the whole crap situation :)

For them, like us, EL is CRUCIAL due to the commercial and prize income. Without it, we'd have lost 30m+. It is the difference between a great signing and nobody for both clubs.

EL group stages are played almost entirely by kids anyway.

We won't play it with kids this time I don't think. Jose wants to win it. Even in the group stages he'll go strong imo

Lol I wouldn't say they'd get relegated but if they had no Europe next season, I would suggest they'd do much better in the league than they have this year. Now they have to juggle Europe too, I can't see them getting anywhere near the top 6
Meanwhile across North London the Europa League (extended version of Rd2 & Rd3) will not affect Spurs prospects in the League or domestic competitions at all, but at least we don’t have the burden of being FA cup winners to carry around with us while we try to navigate all this...
Here’s a few things to let sink about where we are right now..

1-In only a few short years Liverpool have gone from being a “Europa League” well below us to a team a team finishing 40pts above us as European & League Champions.
2- The supposedly “worst” Woolwich team in living memory has won yet another domestic trophy with the most “rookie” of “rookie” managers...When we won our last FA cup in 1991 it was our 8th, Woolwich had 5, and on that day we became the most successful team in FA cup history. We still have 8, Woolwich now have 14, that’s a whopping 9 since our last taste of that glory.
3-We laughed at Chelsea with yet another “rookie” manager at the helm, and even more a transfer ban to contend with, some on here actually thought they would be relegated🤦🏻 Yet there they sit in the top 4 ready for the CL next season and a FA cup runners up medal in the pocket.
4-Man Utd, yet another “rookie” manger in charge who took over a complete shambles at the time, now they are been touted as actual title contenders next season, we wait and see on that one, but the media have to pick someone other than L’pool & City to at least make it interesting!!
5-But by some miracle we will be fine attacking on all fronts with our superior squad I suppose than these other clubs who will undoubtedly suffer having to play the odd extra game next season....

Extraordinarily optimistic considering United and Chelsea's late season form and their incoming transfers... or do you think we'll finish ahead of Liverpool & City too?

5th would be a good result.

Optimistic maybe but aren't we all supposed to be optimistic about new seasons.

Man Utd and Chelsea aren't all that. Why are people falling for the media narrative. Yes they've done well this season but they weren't that far in front of us. A few less injuries for us...a few more for them. A few more calls in our favour...a few less for them.

Plus I actually believe in the Jose factor. It might not be attractive but I'm sure we'll win a lot more than we lose.

I'm 99% sure we'll finish top 4. Trophy is obviously a harder to predict cos they're one-off games but reckon we'll win something.

Optimistic maybe but aren't we all supposed to be optimistic about new seasons.

Man Utd and Chelsea aren't all that. Why are people falling for the media narrative. Yes they've done well this season but they weren't that far in front of us. A few less injuries for us...a few more for them. A few more calls in our favour...a few less for them.

Plus I actually believe in the Jose factor. It might not be attractive but I'm sure we'll win a lot more than we lose.

I'm 99% sure we'll finish top 4. Trophy is obviously a harder to predict cos they're one-off games but reckon we'll win something.
:rolleyes: bet your house on it mate

COckneY Spurs COckneY Spurs

Yep. We had a shit season. Still fancy us for a trophy and Champions League qualification at least next season
We’ve been saying that since 2011/12 season 😂😂

Like the optimism, but it’s going to be damn hard to compete with what’s not only ahead of us but also around us....there won’t be much optimism until a “Jurgen Klinsmann” type profile of a player, or maybe two walks in the door.....anymore of the “one for the future” type players and it just puts the likes of Kane one step closer to the door....rinse & repeat...

I think top 4 and a trophy is highly optimistic. Without the break we got during lockdown we would have been struggling to get top 10.

Unless there are some major signings into that squad next season will be a repeat of this one.

TonySoprano TonySoprano and COckneY Spurs COckneY Spurs

So what if it's optimistic? What's the alternative?

You keep going on about how bad we are yet we still didn't finish that far behind Man Utd and Chelsea.

Like him or not, Jose will improve our results, as he has already since taking over from Poch.

And, just to bring it back on thread, despite their win yesterday, Woolwich will still be mid table

TonySoprano TonySoprano and COckneY Spurs COckneY Spurs

So what if it's optimistic? What's the alternative?

You keep going on about how bad we are yet we still didn't finish that far behind Man Utd and Chelsea.

Like him or not, Jose will improve our results, as he has already since taking over from Poch.

And, just to bring it back on thread, despite their win yesterday, Woolwich will still be mid table
I’m all for the optimism believe me, tho we have to be realistic at times too, logically thinking....

I don’t mind Jose, how can anyone argue with the mans CV🤷‍♂️, may not be the football some crave but we are way past caring what football we play as long as we win some bloody trophies....But my point is “What we currently have isn’t good enough” one or two injuries has proven we can’t cope, Jose or no Jose at the helm, this club has been crying out for a superstar signing for the best part of 10 years now without coming even close to obtaining one, that’s not Harry Redknapp’s fault, nor is it AVB’s l, Sherwood’s, Pochettino’s or Jose’s (to date) fault, it’s our transfer strategy....and that strategy is imposed by the people running the club.
It has got to the point Levy spends more time and energy trying to find a bargain and even more time and energy trying to sell said bargain (usually a flop) at a profit....when your chairman is doing that then at some point he can’t see the wood for the trees....

I backed Levy strongly over the years, very strongly in fact, but I’m just about fed up with him to be honest...

I’m all for the optimism believe me, tho we have to be realistic at times too, logically thinking....

I don’t mind Jose, how can anyone argue with the mans CV🤷‍♂️, may not be the football some crave but we are way past caring what football we play as long as we win some bloody trophies....But my point is “What we currently have isn’t good enough” one or two injuries has proven we can’t cope, Jose or no Jose at the helm, this club has been crying out for a superstar signing for the best part of 10 years now without coming even close to obtaining one, that’s not Harry Redknapp’s fault, nor is it AVB’s l, Sherwood’s, Pochettino’s or Jose’s (to date) fault, it’s our transfer strategy....and that strategy is imposed by the people running the club.
It has got to the point Levy spends more time and energy trying to find a bargain and even more time and energy trying to sell said bargain (usually a flop) at a profit....when your chairman is doing that then at some point he can’t see the wood for the trees....

I backed Levy strongly over the years, very strongly in fact, but I’m just about fed up with him to be honest...

I think that's a fair gripe to have. My only comeback is that Levy has never really been faced with someone of Jose's pedigree.

We all know Jose likes to spend. We all know Levy likes 'value for money' to put it that way. One of them knew coming into this relationship that they'd have to change. Let's see what happens in this transfer window to see which it is.

I think that's a fair gripe to have. My only comeback is that Levy has never really been faced with someone of Jose's pedigree.

We all know Jose likes to spend. We all know Levy likes 'value for money' to put it that way. One of them knew coming into this relationship that they'd have to change. Let's see what happens in this transfer window to see which it is.
My fear it’s Jose who loses out, I mean if Levy got cold feet in the market over bloody Brexit then what the fuck is Covid19 not going to do to him🤷‍♂️

We may be the first club that Mourinho fails to win a trophy with, if that in fact happens then there is nowhere left for Levy to turn...
Don’t get me wrong here, if we get damn lucky with injuries over the season then we can absolutely scrape top 4 and maybe even a cup, Jose can certainly grind out a semi final/final when push comes to shove....But the draw must be kind too...
Bottom line is I will be seriously shocked if Levy buys us a big player, very shocked indeed, it will be one or two “decent” players from smaller clubs that we get again hope turns out good...

For them, like us, EL is CRUCIAL due to the commercial and prize income. Without it, we'd have lost 30m+. It is the difference between a great signing and nobody for both clubs.

EL group stages are played almost entirely by kids anyway.

Where’s this £30m coming from for being in it? Maybe if you win it but the group stage prize money isn’t much. Every paper report I’ve seen has said they’re in line for this windfall but none of that is guaranteed. Plus don’t forget there’s no guarantee of match day income either.

• Preliminary round: €220,000
  • First qualifying round: €240,000
  • Second qualifying round: €260,000
  • Third qualifying round: €280,000
  • Play-off round elimination: €300,000
  • Base fee for group stage: €2,920,000
  • Group match victory: €570,000
  • Group match draw: €190,000
  • Group winners: €1,000,000
  • Group runners-up: €500,000
  • Round of 32: €500,000
  • Round of 16: €1,100,000
  • Quarter-finals: €1,500,000
  • Semi-finals: €2,400,000
  • Losing finalist: €4,500,000
  • Winners: €8,500,000

While the corruption yesterday was clear as day, I think it's good in the long term, they will believe their own hype not addressing the glaring weakness in their squad. A declining Aubameyang gets a bulk 3 year contract, I genuinely prefer they keep him. He's bang average with poor overall play, massive liability on the wings, will drop off a cliff next season and it will be another Ozil situation, goons don't realize this.

I think he will stay if they are offering him a new 3 year contract at £250k a week. He’s 31 now. This is a player who was all set to go to China before Woolwich got him so he’s not afraid of going for the money.

I think he will stay if they are offering him a new 3 year contract at £250k a week. He’s 31 now. This is a player who was all set to go to China before Woolwich got him so he’s not afraid of going for the money.
Mm didn’t realise he was as old as that 31 if they think building a team around him is a good idea and good for the future then crack on.

Back
Top Bottom