Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't really get this logic. I get what you are trying to say but this is football not a mobile phone company or a Pie Shop.

Not aimed at you specifically but the entire game (clubs, supporters and media) is based on the "value" of players. When a team doesn't spend money they get slaughtered, fans raging for "xxx" chairman to "spend some fucking money". When a club doesn't spend enough money they get slaughtered for buying "2nd choices". When a player is prized away to another club they get slaughtered for not paying high enough wages, "pay him what he wants".

I said this at the time but like us and Liverpool who wanted to furlough some of their staff should have done just that, had they (we) done that these same staff would still be in jobs for the next 3 months or so (and would have been paid 80% of their wages for the 3 months whilst furloughed. But instead, the fans and the press claimed it was wrong to do that and were up in arms about it.

Now, for me at least, the only bone of contention to be had with this is that the Woolwich players took a pay cut so as to avoid this situation. There is the deceit and also provides some of the insight as to why the PFA advised it's members not to take a pay cut.

Football supporters and media are going to look like hypocritical mugs (more now than ever before) if they start to dig players out on what they earn. Have you seen our Offical Club Twitter feed, every single post is swamped by fans shouting "announce "x", "Levy you tight bald cunt, spend some money" etc. etc.....
Perhaps more the principal+it’s them don’t know! (Football fans you gotta love,em) I’ve been in that situation re furloughed thankfully not made redundant, my company has taken full advantage of the situation regards Covid 19 and changed the rules accordingly to suit themselves and it leaves a bad taste. Football clubs are a law upon themselves that’s been made fairly obvious from the start more so with Covid 19 every other industry has suffered and yes I know the smaller clubs, non-league are in the same boat as hospitality etc it’s just when you’ve got “a” player getting in access of an average £70k a week possibly a full contract on 3years=9million and that can’t sustain them for the rest of their careers let alone 3years! The 55 who’ve been made redundant it will not make any difference to Woolwich fc non what’s so ever financially.

Perhaps more the principal+it’s them don’t know! (Football fans you gotta love,em) I’ve been in that situation re furloughed thankfully not made redundant, my company has taken full advantage of the situation regards Covid 19 and changed the rules accordingly to suit themselves and it leaves a bad taste. Football clubs are a law upon themselves that’s been made fairly obvious from the start more so with Covid 19 every other industry has suffered and yes I know the smaller clubs, non-league are in the same boat as hospitality etc it’s just when you’ve got “a” player getting in access of an average £70k a week possibly a full contract on 3years=9million and that can’t sustain them for the rest of their careers let alone 3years! The 55 who’ve been made redundant it will not make any difference to Woolwich fc non what’s so ever financially.
It does make a difference financially. One would also presume it would also make a difference to the Club (any club) on how it operates, I've not seen anywhere written on the functions of these staff, but one would presume they provide a service/function that warrants a salary in the first place. With them removed how is that function/service absorbed by the Club and how does that impact on the performance of the team. It's significant as it's 10-15% of their workforce.

There a ton of moral arguments to be had but, just like in the entertainment industry the money gravitates to the stars and rightly so, they are the entertainment, the reason why we are either their or watching them. We aren't there to watch Susan scrub the toilets or watch Dave cut the pitch but we understand that they are required for that performance to be made.

There was an argument not so long ago about the money that Clubs obtain via matchday wasn't relevant because for so many Clubs it was a small percentage of the revenue make-up, the argument extended further with many stating that fans could watch football for free and it will not make a difference. Safe to say we can now put this one to bed. Even for those clubs that take a small percentage from matchday compared to their overall revenue streams, without fans there isn't a product that's marketable, or certainly, without the value the product of the game pre-COVID demanded.

Are players overpaid = sure
Are actors overpaid = sure

But it's about them, we are there to watch them. The business is them.

The real focus should be on the agents and the lawyers who have their begging bowls out and filter money in their direction completly sucking it out of the game, it doesn't get re-circulated or reinvested in the game. It doesn't build new infrastructure, get the local playing fields maintained or provide dressing rooms to change in and it certainly doesn't find it's way back to a top ten world football club to pay its staff.

But I'm assuming these staff are related to the stadium and with football effectively shut (behind closed doors) why the fuck would you pay anyone to clean the toilets in your stadium when it's effectively shut?

I didn't realise this, i guess when they offer Willian £200K a week its not going to look good!
Yeah, the players took pay cuts under the premise that the money saved would go towards keeping the regular staff on the pay roll and not towards transfers or new contracts.

Yet here we are today with the goons rumored to give Aubameyang a long term big money deal and a long term deal to Willian on good money, as well as being linked to players who are considered rather pricey (Coutinho and Partey).

It's pretty understandable that the squad are a bit pissed off and this is not a good look for them.

You imagine this will cause some turmoil if Aubameyang accepts a new contract, with a squad knowing that was financed with the sacking of staff members, some of whom may have been quite close to players.

Yeah, the players took pay cuts under the premise that the money saved would go towards keeping the regular staff on the pay roll and not towards transfers or new contracts.

Yet here we are today with the goons rumored to give Aubameyang a long term big money deal and a long term deal to Willian on good money, as well as being linked to players who are considered rather pricey (Coutinho and Partey).

It's pretty understandable that the squad are a bit pissed off and this is not a good look for them.

You imagine this will cause some turmoil if Aubameyang accepts a new contract, with a squad knowing that was financed with the sacking of staff members, some of whom may have been quite close to players.

We could be all set for some Seria A-style players vs owners stand off and a shedload of dressing-room bad blood from players who essentially get left feeling the're paying for Aubameyang's big payrise......

224e61c566430bba4c07031efea006ca.gif

There may be some grains of truth in what he says, he is still a total cunt though.

Bullshit, top football clubs are immensely different to airlines, chains, and banking. They're owned and managed as appreciative assets, not profit-making enterprises (well, Spurs aside).

We're not looking at a league two club struggling to keep their books balanced. Very few people would be disgusted if this were Leyton Orient.

Good news?

Yeah. Aubameyang as Woolwich's aging, overpaid, losing mentality captain is a coup for us.

I was hoping he might get a bit more overpaid than that, but them stuck paying 250kpw to a 33 year old (and probably slowing) Auba is a win.

Arteta's team is going to be built around this guy. So we can be sure they're still going to be asleep every third game.

Yeah. Aubameyang as Woolwich's aging, overpaid, losing mentality captain is a coup for us.

I was hoping he might get a bit more overpaid than that, but them stuck paying 250kpw to a 33 year old (and probably slowing) Auba is a win.

Arteta's team is going to be built around this guy. So we can be sure they're still going to be asleep every third game.

I don’t know, I think it’s bad news as it means he’s bought into whatever Arteta is trying to do there. Arteta said he had to persuade him to do that and had succeeded. Other players may see that, sit up and take notice. Plus he’s a great goal scorer. If he went they had to find those goals somewhere else, where are they goi g to get a goal scorer like him, they can’t afford huge transfer fees and dont have CL money.

The laying off of people will be forgotten in a months time too so will have no baring on this news.

He was always going to go where the money was. Don’t forget he was going to go to China before he signed for Woolwich.

I know there seems to be a lot of like for Arteta in the media and whatnot, but I can’t say I’ve been that impressed so far. Is anyone super impressed with him, if they are, can they explain what they are seeing that’s impressed them?

I’m not seeing a team with a clear ethos, tactical approach, or a team that always imposes itself on the opposition?

Early days and all that, just saying it as I’m seeing it right now?

I know there seems to be a lot of like for Arteta in the media and whatnot, but I can’t say I’ve been that impressed so far. Is anyone super impressed with him, if they are, can they explain what they are seeing that’s impressed them?

I’m not seeing a team with a clear ethos, tactical approach, or a team that always imposes itself on the opposition?

Early days and all that, just saying it as I’m seeing it right now?

no it’s an average team saved by Aubameyang each game. They play like they did under Emery for the most part with a half decent attack and mostly crap defence.

Aubameyang is very much for them like peak Sanchez was a few years ago.

Back
Top Bottom