Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know there seems to be a lot of like for Arteta in the media and whatnot, but I can’t say I’ve been that impressed so far. Is anyone super impressed with him, if they are, can they explain what they are seeing that’s impressed them?

I’m not seeing a team with a clear ethos, tactical approach, or a team that always imposes itself on the opposition?

Early days and all that, just saying it as I’m seeing it right now?

You don't think him managing to get a shit Woolwich team to win the FA Cup is impressive? Everyone knows their defence is a shambles yet Arteta has managed to figure out who to select and when to be able to get the best out of it (Tierney at the left of a 3 and Maitland-Niles as the LWB) these are small changes but they've been highly effective given he's only been there half a season.

In terms of total philosophy we'll only see it next season when he gets to field new players he wants but there's no question his first season has at the very least been quite promising.

You don't think him managing to get a shit Woolwich team to win the FA Cup is impressive? Everyone knows their defence is a shambles yet Arteta has managed to figure out who to select and when to be able to get the best out of it (Tierney at the left of a 3 and Maitland-Niles as the LWB) these are small changes but they've been highly effective given he's only been there half a season.

In terms of total philosophy we'll only see it next season when he gets to field new players he wants but there's no question his first season has at the very least been quite promising.

Winning the FA Cup by parking a bus against City and Chelsea and skanking wins doesn’t really impress me tactically tbh. I wasn't any more impressed by Arteta playing the (CM) Maitland Niles as a LWB than I was when Emry played him as a RWB.

They got shot of Emry because he was fundamentally a pragmatist with no real style, who actually got them to a Europa final (much more impressive achievement IMO than getting to an FA Cup) and also finished 5th with 70 points. Arteta finished 8th, 56 points and an FA Cup final.

I agree we can’t rush to judge too quickly, first job as head coach, took over midway through a season, Covid etc - but what I don’t get is people saying they are seeing great things either.

Last edited:
Winning the FA Cup by parking a bus against City and Chelsea and skanking wins doesn’t really impress me tactically tbh. I wasn't any more impressed by Arteta playing the (CM) Maitland Niles as a LWB than I was when Emry played him as a RWB.

It was hardly parking the bus against Chelsea did you see that game? however you cut it they stumbled upon a back to back cup games against two very solid teams who are better than them and they've managed to come out on top on both occasions. It's also clear that tactically the players are being told something that is working for them on the pitch.

They got shot of Emry because he was fundamentally a pragmatist with no real style, who actually got them to a Europa final (much more impressive achievement IMO than getting to an FA Cup) and also finished 5th with 70 points. Arteta finished 8th, 56 points and an FA Cup final.

Arteta took over a team Emery (bless him) had run right into the ground, also regardless of what you think is the bigger achievement (FA Cup vs Europa) the difference is Arteta actually won the final he was in whereas Emery got spanked off the park by more or less the same oponents.

I agree we can’t rush to judge too quickly, first job as head coach, took over midway through a season, Covid etc - but what I don’t get is people saying they are seeing great things either.

Half a season to win his first pot is pretty impressive in my estimation, as much as we might not like it and our natual bias will show I just think it's a bit silly to try and pretend he's just another average joe who's had a neautral first hald season in charge.

It was hardly parking the bus against Chelsea did you see that game? however you cut it they stumbled upon a back to back cup games against two very solid teams who are better than them and they've managed to come out on top on both occasions. It's also clear that tactically the players are being told something that is working for them on the pitch.

Arteta took over a team Emery (bless him) had run right into the ground, also regardless of what you think is the bigger achievement (FA Cup vs Europa) the difference is Arteta actually won the final he was in whereas Emery got spanked off the park by more or less the same oponents.

Half a season to win his first pot is pretty impressive in my estimation, as much as we might not like it and our natual bias will show I just think it's a bit silly to try and pretend he's just another average joe who's had a neautral first hald season in charge.

I'm talking about Arteta as a coach, and how this is manifesting itself on the pitch in performances. If I saw something wonderful in the semi final or final I'd call it. I didn't.

Any manager with a team like Woolwich can blow with the breeze, dominate games where lesser teams don't want the ball but get dominated when superior teams do want it. That's what Emry did. That's just reactive, and doesn't demonstrate any clear tactical approach, I'm saying I'm not seeing Arteta stamping a clear ethos on his team and his team going out and stamping that on the opposition.

I don't give a fuck if he's managing Woolwich, Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs whoever, if I like a coach or see good things, clever things, I'll call it as I see it.

As far as the final goes, lets not ignore that Chelsea lost two key players to injury, including their best attacker, for big chunks of the game, Woolwich's first goal was a clear foul, shouldn't have stood, and Chelsea then had a man incorrectly sent off. Hardly genius by Arteta. Despite all this Chelsea still generally were the side dominating the game for most of it.

I'm unconvinced by Lampard too, but at least I can see his Chelsea side trying to play a certain way, trying to be proactive, trying to impose themselves on most games.

As I said originally, I will reserve judgement until Arteta's had more time, chance to really stamp whatever it is he's trying to stamp on this side, but all I am saying is, so far I'm not seeing a clear ethos or tactical approach that some seem to be seeing.

He's won a cup, fortuitously IMO, great, but what are you seeing in their tactical approach or in the way his team are playing games that makes you think he's a very good coach ?

https://metro.co.uk/2020/08/06/Wool...greement-ainsley-maitland-niles-13095341/amp/

Cheeky bid? :levyeyes:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mesut-ozil-Woolwich-contract-pay-22492676

55 Redundancies and then you read they are going to pay this prick off to get rid. Unbelievable.

55 Redundancies and then you read they are going to pay this prick off to get rid. Unbelievable.

They are in such a bad way financially. The only way I can see them making any big moves like this is by selling players off. Arteta is there saying he wants x, y and z but do those behind the scenes. Sure the agents getting rich off these transfers will be pushing players there way and trying to get deals done but if the people signing the cheques refuse to do it then nothing will happen.

Arteta has said it himself, they are an europa league club paying champions league wages yet they keep getting linked with signing players on exactly that level wage in an attempt to get back in it. Will they sign them, maybe, will they get back in the CL next season, I very much doubt it. Let them twist instead of stick because if it goes wrong they will continue to be in trouble.

If Willian signs, it will finally complete the 'Arse faces you want to smack XI'

1. Schezney
2. Lauren
3. Cole
4. Parlour
5. Campbell
6. Adams
7. Pires
8. Willian
9. Arshavin
10. Aubameyang
11. Ozil

Good team that.... but one i'd wanna smack for 90 minutes!

If Willian signs, it will finally complete the 'Arse faces you want to smack XI'

1. Schezney
2. Lauren
3. Cole
4. Parlour
5. Campbell
6. Adams
7. Pires
8. Willian
9. Arshavin
10. Aubameyang
11. Ozil

You missed Fabrecunt.... Van Persie... Bellerin.... Merson... Flamini.... Bentner.... and... and.....

1. Schezney
2. Lauren
3. Cole
4. Parlour
5. Campbell
6. Adams
7. Pires
8. Willian
9. Arshavin
10. Aubameyang
11. Ozil

You’ve missed this cunt....not a goon and won’t be but

E88-DCD4-F-CC5-C-4-F69-B982-579-EFD6-E08-DF.jpg

you could wallop that coupon quite easily 100 times and not get bored.

I fucking love this guy: "I'll decide when I go, not other people." That's right Mesut, you stay put and keep draining those bastards of £350k weekly.

"I'll give everything (i.e. jack shit) I have for this club," Ozil added. "Situations like these will never break me, they only make me stronger (i.e. more determined to keep banking that cash). I showed in the past that I can come back into the team and I will show it again." (i.e. the odd league cup game)

Love the bug-eyed little mercenary.

This was on my LinkedIn news feed:

AFTV are searching for 2 new presenters: a male and a female. If you can answer YES to these criteria, then drop a comment on this post!

• Are you an Woolwich fan?
• Are you able to work in and around London?
• Are you familiar with AFTV?
• Are you comfortable in front of the camera, talking about football?
• Are you willing to learn and grow in the role?
• Can you commit to unsociable work hours? (weekends and evenings may be required)

If you think you're the person we're looking for or you know of someone that should be considered - then please drop a comment on this post and we'll get in contact!

:levyeyes:

Lol any takers?

Back
Top Bottom