Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Part of his task is definitely a rebuild, namely getting rid of the Ozil crew when their contracts finally expire. I'm sure that's how the board sees him and that's why they're backing him so hard, they need a manager who can develop young players on a lower wage bill ala the Dortmund model to be able to compete financially. Allegri may be out there for example, but doesn't fit that "project" mold. Arteta says the right stuff so they'd rather gamble on him than a proven "now" manager.

The thing is, they do have some promising young players in Saka, Martinelli, Saliba etc, the problem is that Arteta has been playing it conservative instead of actually acting like a progressive young coach:
- handing Aubameyang a giant contract (understandable as their only reliable goalscorer, but without a plan to actually use him)
- convincing Xhaka, a 28yo and a truly mediocre player, to stay instead of selling him
- buying a 27yo on massive wages (good player, but not one for the resale value)
- chasing Willian, that was his top target in the summer besides Aouar - again an old player on massive wages
- buying 29yo Cedric and 27yo Mari, basically squad filler
- kicking out Guendouzi, for good reasons but still one of their better young players
- not selling AMN for 20M when they had the offer and then not using him

He talks a good game and probably has really impressively detailed tactics or something that seems new and smart (e.g. he assigns them all homework after games) but his squad management shows someone who's been pretty nervy about his job and hesitant to take risks. I imagine the board will write off this season and give him through next summer because a couple of the big contracts will expire then and they'll have some of the youngsters fit again. But if he doesn't start actually buying and playing youngsters, I don't think they'll be terribly happy with him. Imagine how much value the likes of Pepe have lost.
Yeah, I do agree with this too.

Maybe the plan was to have the experienced players to get by until the young players are ready???? And well, they simply aren't performing? Or that it could be simply he's shit, his judgement is off, his recruitment is shit and he can't get his message over to these players?? Or he can and they are following exactly what he wants and therefore proving he's shit??

I think the messaging has been so strong from the Club and media around him and still is that almost creates a subplot that I'm digging into that doesn't even exist.

I think this season is fascinating on what's going on there. Lots of spin, lots of leaked info, lots of poor results that are at complete odds with what they are spinning.

The final layer is the mood around the club is so fragile that it's the tail that wags the dog. It's this aspect that provides us all with the most amusement. I think Utd are in almost an identical situation and even if both of Clubs truly, truly believe they have their man for the future, they aren't strong enough to back him. But if they are and results and performances are shite then they look stupid backing him. It's beautiful.

Yeah, I do agree with this too.

Maybe the plan was to have the experienced players to get by until the young players are ready???? And well, they simply aren't performing? Or that it could be simply he's shit, his judgement is off, his recruitment is shit and he can't get his message over to these players?? Or he can and they are following exactly what he wants and therefore proving he's shit??

I think the messaging has been so strong from the Club and media around him and still is that almost creates a subplot that I'm digging into that doesn't even exist.

I think this season is fascinating on what's going on there. Lots of spin, lots of leaked info, lots of poor results that are at complete odds with what they are spinning.

The final layer is the mood around the club is so fragile that it's the tail that wags the dog. It's this aspect that provides us all with the most amusement. I think Utd are in almost an identical situation and even if both of Clubs truly, truly believe they have their man for the future, they aren't strong enough to back him. But if they are and results and performances are shite then they look stupid backing him. It's beautiful.
Yeah, it's the bizarre PR and leaks that I find fascinating, lots of dodgy dealings with Kia, the sacking of the scouts, Ozil swearing he'll do a tell-all someday! Fills my heart to see them implode after how they ran out Wenger (who I obviously have no warmth for, but his final days were pathetic behavior by the fanbase). Long may their implosion continue :D

I so hope Dyche sets up Burnley right and suffocates their impotent attack within an inch of its life. A 0-1 defeat with a goal from a corner would be glorious, but a 0-0 would be almost as infuriating for them.

It moved for a while to St Giles. That was good as well. Then again to what was the Archway tavern. It didn't work,too far out imho
everywhere is fucked. i was at the borderline for a gig, and its all neon and mirrors

did serve a rather moreish peanut butter milk stout though, luckily it was summer, becuase i slept on someones garden wall

Back
Top Bottom