Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Woolwich has spent months pursuing a player who has repeatedly and consistently stated that he had no interest in joining them.

I'm not sure how Twitter algorithms work anymore, I don't follow a single account of theirs be that supporter or official or even a player or ex-player of theirs, yet almost daily this guy was trending on my feed, caused by NOTHING to do with us, all the noise was from their fans excited at the arrival of their new signing.

I'm going to go for a swim in their tears this lunchtime.

Woolwich has spent months pursuing a player who has repeatedly and consistently stated that he had no interest in joining them.

I'm not sure how Twitter algorithms work anymore, I don't follow a single account of theirs be that supporter or official or even a player or ex-player of theirs, yet almost daily this guy was trending on my feed, caused by NOTHING to do with us, all the noise was from their fans excited at the arrival of their new signing.

I'm going to go for a swim in their tears this lunchtime.

:contefacepalm2:

Woolwich are having a mare on and off the pitch and providing a laugh a day so far this year.

I never thought any club would eclipse west ham for off the pitch own goals, but fair play to Woolwich they have really gone for it

The situation with Aubamayeng is mad, this was always gonna happen where it will get to a point in their season when they can't score and need some leadership on the pitch. Stripping him off the captaincy was one thing but ostracising his from the team especially when you can't score is mental, you'd think that he'd be wanting to massage his ego and get him back in some form for the 2nd half of the season but not Arteta is seems.

Arteta is such a Poundland Pep, Pep does this to big personalities becuase he wants meritocracy and order at his clubs but Pep has the CV and respect to do it, Arteta doesn't and the mad thing is Woolwich want to keep him and offered him a new contract, I don't get it? lol

The situation with Aubamayeng is mad, this was always gonna happen where it will get to a point in their season when they can't score and need some leadership on the pitch. Stripping him off the captaincy was one thing but ostracising his from the team especially when you can't score is mental, you'd think that he'd be wanting to massage his ego and get him back in some form for the 2nd half of the season but not Arteta is seems.

Arteta is such a Poundland Pep, Pep does this to big personalities becuase he wants meritocracy and order at his clubs but Pep has the CV and respect to do it, Arteta doesn't and the mad thing is Woolwich want to keep him and offered him a new contract, I don't get it? lol

Arteta is just an absolutely terrible man manager.

The way he dealt with Tavares in the Forest cup game sums him up. Instead of waiting ten minutes and subbing the player of at half time he embarrassed him in front of everyone and took him off after 35 minutes. Just unnecessary.

How many players has he fallen out with now - Ozil, Saliba, Guengouzi, that Uruguay chap, PEA and I'm sure there are some I am forgetting.

Last edited:

I actually think Arteta did the right thing on this.

I don't think he's ever been a good signing for them, from the day he landed in his diamond-encrusted private jet. He is a shadow of the player he was at Dortmund, there he was explosive, a great runner with the ball and scored from all over the place. I've had a few disagreements with people on here about him, if you can bare watching them take a look at "all Aubamayeng's goals scored for Woolwich" vids. They are all bar 3 or so very basic goals to score, nothing that another playing in his position couldn't do. He's never pressed since he came in and for him to play in the side other players need to do his pressing for him. He's like the Ronaldo problem at Utd.

I'd play Martinelli ahead of him every game, just his pressing and energy brings a better dynamic to the team.

Their mistakes were a) getting him in the first place (clearly a player on the decline and has got worse with every successive season). b) Signing him to a new deal. c) Making him captain.

I don't think he's ever been a good signing for them, from the day he landed in his diamond-encrusted private jet. He is a shadow of the player he was at Dortmund, there he was explosive, a great runner with the ball and scored from all over the place. I've had a few disagreements with people on here about him, if you can bare watching them take a look at "all Aubamayeng's goals scored for Woolwich" vids. They are all bar 3 or so very basic goals to score, nothing that another playing in his position couldn't do. He's never pressed since he came in and for him to play in the side other players need to do his pressing for him. He's like the Ronaldo problem at Utd.

I'd play Martinelli ahead of him every game, just his pressing and energy brings a better dynamic to the team.

Their mistakes were a) getting him in the first place (clearly a player on the decline and has got worse with every successive season). b) Signing him to a new deal. c) Making him captain.

Wasn't B & C down to Lego-man tho'?

He did hit +20 goals in b2b seasons for them and was one of the best strikers in the league so not sure abou him being a shadow of himself when he came here.

Here is the problem though, Arteta was the one who got him his new contract and he made him captain.

Arteta is really stubborn to the point where it's hurting their team, it's got to the point where he's rather play a young player who doesn't want to be at the club cause he doesn't want to sign a new contract, it's just shit management.

He did hit +20 goals in b2b seasons for them and was one of the best strikers in the league so not sure abou him being a shadow of himself when he came here.

Here is the problem though, Arteta was the one who got him his new contract and he made him captain.

Arteta is really stubborn to the point where it's hurting their team, it's got to the point where he's rather play a young player who doesn't want to be at the club cause he doesn't want to sign a new contract, it's just shit management.
You mean “when he went there”? Makes you sound like a gooner otherwise.

Honestly Woolwich have it the wrong way around - they have a young defence and an aging strike force, you actually want a mature defence and a young strike force. Unlike Kane both Lacazest and Auba have been reliant on pace their whole career. That isn’t a great strategy when you turn 32.

You mean “when he went there”? Makes you sound like a gooner otherwise.

Honestly Woolwich have it the wrong way around - they have a young defence and an aging strike force, you actually want a mature defence and a young strike force. Unlike Kane both Lacazest and Auba have been reliant on pace their whole career. That isn’t a great strategy when you turn 32.

No I mean when he came here aka England/Premier League...

My point is those goals were nothing special, Martinelli would have scored them for example. In his prime at Dortmund, he scored spectacular goals, when he was on the ball outside the box he was still a massive threat when running or he was more than capable of scoring outside the box.

Further context the 2nd of those seasons was their lowest goal tally in the PL. The team was geared to have him as the guy to stick it in the net.

My point is those goals were nothing special, Martinelli would have scored them for example. In his prime at Dortmund, he scored spectacular goals, when he was on the ball outside the box he was still a massive threat when running or he was more than capable of scoring outside the box.

Further context the 2nd of those seasons was their lowest goal tally in the PL. The team was geared to have him as the guy to stick it in the net.

Right, whatever semantics but the point is that he can stick the ball in the back of the net, they types of goals he scores/scored are irrelevant, you have a top 10 striker in the league and you've kicked him out the team, it's utter madness.

What's more the strikers they have now aren't hitting right now because they're not good enough, this is all on Arteta, he's the one that went ot bat for him in the first place.

Right, whatever semantics but the point is that he can stick the ball in the back of the net, they types of goals he scores/scored are irrelevant, you have a top 10 striker in the league and you've kicked him out the team, it's utter madness.

What's more the strikers they have now aren't hitting right now because they're not good enough, this is all on Arteta, he's the one that went ot bat for him in the first place.
I never said he couldn't do that, just that many players in that position could do it. There's nothing clever to the goals he's scored for them. He's not a threat that has defences shitting themselves, he's not unplayable. A lot of goals he scores are team goals.

I've always (not just now) said he's a shadow of the player he was at Dortmund, for Woolwich he's never been anything special (a massive named signing, yes! But his performances are not that of a star man, of an unplayable footballer).

Lacazzette is Lacazzette, consistently average but I'd argue better off the ball than the mask wearer. But Arteta has spread the goals out across the team with his midfield contributing more now than before, they slowly becoming more possession-based again (maybe as a result Aubamayeng not playing any mins??).

I never said he couldn't do that, just that many players in that position could do it. There's nothing clever to the goals he's scored for them. He's not a threat that has defences shitting themselves, he's not unplayable. A lot of goals he scores are team goals.

I've always (not just now) said he's a shadow of the player he was at Dortmund, for Woolwich he's never been anything special (a massive named signing, yes! But his performances are not that of a star man, of an unplayable footballer).

Lacazzette is Lacazzette, consistently average but I'd argue better off the ball than the mask wearer. But Arteta has spread the goals out across the team with his midfield contributing more now than before, they slowly becoming more possession-based again (maybe as a result Aubamayeng not playing any mins??).

There's nothing clever to the goals he's scored, where have I heard that before...sounds exactly like when fans put down Kane for scoring tap ins, it's a nonsense argument...goals are goals, no matter how they come and if it was so easy then everyone would master putting the ball in the back of the net.

The point is though since Arteta has ostracised him from the squad he now longer doesn't have an option which he can use. You can talk about the way Woolwich play and how the goals are being spread across the team however ultimately my point is that they're not scoring now which IMO was always going to happen. You have a young side being led by an average player in Lacazette then the goals are always going to dry up - No one can ever justify to me that keeping your £300k a week/£60m signing away form the squad (not even on the bench) is a good idea particularly when you're struggling to score, it's just shit management and gross negligence.

This whole saga reminds me when AVB had his personal issues with Adebayor, it's exactly the same situatiion, both player and manager are clashing over egos, we couldn't score any goals and looked toothless and it ened up costing AVB his job, you just don't manage players like that.

Back
Top Bottom