Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I keep hearing them go on about Partey being out & it affecting the team but his stats are pretty average

26 app , 2 goals 1 assist , 6 yellows 1 yellow/red

Previous season are similar without any goals

I know he’s a defensive mid but even his defensive stats aren’t anything special

Hopefully they keep believing that he’s the savior.

It's not that he and Tierney are good - it's just the drop off to the replacements is fucking huge

When William joined on 14/08/2020 Arteta told him that their aim is to win the Champions league in 3 years. So next year then.

Yet now the media and their fans have them “overachieving” to qualify for the Europa in a season they played less games than any others………….

:dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol:

When William joined on 14/08/2020 Arteta told him that their aim is to win the Champions league in 3 years. So next year then.

Yet now the media and their fans have them “overachieving” to qualify for the Europa in a season they played less games than any others………….

:dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol::dembelelol:
Nail on the head my friend!

Here's another thought to ponder. Name ONE player in their entire squad who Arteta has improved?

I've read many a piece on them this season and the general feeling is that they are trying to make comparisons to Poch's Spurs team. In every article it's about the youth, the future and inevitably eyes turn to what Poch did at Spurs. Not one of the articles mentions that Poch had a zero net spend, compared to Arteta's £300m! Not one of the articles mentioned the specifics of what Poch did in elevating Bentaleb, Mason, Winks, Dele, Dier, Rose, Walker, Son & Kane (and these are just a handful of players at Spurs, not to mention an entire team at Southampton).

Ramsdale - Purchased. he's not improving he's declining
Leno - Declined
Gabriel - I actually think he's a decent CB, he's exposed because he's always playing next to a clown, I'd say he's a worse player today than when he signed but that could be situational
Holding - Clown. Always has been but Arteta hasn't improved him.
White - Purchased. Defiantly nowhere near as good as he was at Brighton.
Tierney - Purchased. Was a good buy, a strong FB, however, he's declined, check his performances before his injury.
Neketiah - He's in a little purple patch, time will tell if this is a linea improvement
Tomiyaso - Bought. First season and has been injured. I've no idea if his performances are reflective of his performances prior to joining. Doesn't look like a stand out player currently.
Saka - He has always been tipped to be a future star, so would have been this player regardless of who the manager is.
ESR - ditto above from Saka (every time I watched their academy play ours this lad was the best player on the pitch)
Odegaard - I actually rate him as a player. Has he improved under Arteta? No. Another who I think is suffering from those around him and also Arteta's set up, they aren't a creative team and I don't think it's because this player isn't creative, because he is.
Martinelli - Declined. This could be because he's young, typically young players might play in streaks but aside from his energy, his play is a definite decline this season.
Lacazette - Looooool £55m of marketing bling
Xhaka - Looool
Partey - declined (comparing his performances at AM)
Pepe - Purchased - Looooooooool £70m of pure shit
Tavares - Purchased. Has looked shit since day 1. Definitely, no signs of improvement in the way you can say Conte has improved Emerson/Doherty/Sess
Soares - Purchased. Has been crap ever since the signing, worse player than he was at Southampton
Elneny - Exactly the same Champo player he has always been
Lokonga - I honestly know little about him. Seems to do something great and something shit in every game. Let's see.

Not one player that's improved under him and a strong case for several declining under him.

Last edited:

He's another thought to ponder. Name ONE player in their entire squad who Arteta has improved?

I've read many a piece on them this season and the general feeling is that they are trying to make comparisons to Poch's Spurs team. In every article it's about the youth, the future and inevitably eyes turn to what Poch did at Spurs. Not one of the articles mentions that Poch had a zero net spend, compared to Arteta's £300m! Not one of the articles mentioned the specifics of what Poch did in elevating Bentaleb, Mason, Winks, Dele, Dier, Rose, Walker, Son & Kane (and these are just a handful of players at Spurs, not to mention an entire team at Southampton).

Leno - Declined
Gabriel - I actually think he's a decent CB, he's exposed because he's always playing next to a clown, I'd say he's a worse player today than when he signed but that could be situational
Tierney - Purchased. Was a good buy, a strong FB, however, he's declined, check his performances before his injury.
Neketiah - He's in a little purple patch, time will tell if this is a linea improvement
Tomiyaso - Bought. First season and has been injured. I've no idea if his performances are reflective of his performances prior to joining. Doesn't look like a stand out player currently.
Saka - He has always been tipped to be a future star, so would have been this player regardless of who the manager is.
ESR - ditto above from Saka (every time I watched their academy play ours this lad was the best player on the pitch)
Odegaard - I actually rate him as a player. Has he improved under Arteta? No. Another who I think is suffering from those around him and also Arteta's set up, they aren't a creative team and I don't think it's because this player isn't creative, because he is.
Martinelli - Declined. This could be because he's young, typically young players might play in streaks but aside from his energy, his play is a definite decline this season.
Xhaka - Looool
Tavares - Purchased. Has looked shit since day 1. Definitely, no signs of improvement in the way you can say Conte has improved Emerson/Doherty/Sess
Soares - Purchased. Has been crap ever since the signing, worse player than he was at Southampton
Lokonga - I honestly know little about him. Seems to do something great and something shit in every game. Let's see.

Not one player that's improved under him and a strong case for several declining under him.

Saka - but I think he's got that Kane drive to succeed anyway

I think Scum are lucky that Chelsea might be falling away where he's concerned, as I'm not sure Saka will want to leave London too easily.

He lives literally right behind my parents, the adjoining house - and has his entire family living with him.

Saka - but I think he's got that Kane drive to succeed anyway

I think Scum are lucky that Chelsea might be falling away where he's concerned, as I'm not sure Saka will want to leave London too easily.

He lives literally right behind my parents, the adjoining house - and has his entire family living with him.
I absolutely don't think he's "improved" under Arteta. He's broken through under him, exactly the same as ESR. I used to go to a lot of academy games when these two were playing (only the Spurs vs Woolwich ones I might add, so not a huge sample but certainly over a 4 or 5yrs period I didn't miss a single game home or away) and in every game, they were the standout players, especially ESR.

Talking to those who did watch them every week emphasised they would put in those performances each week.

So, what I'm trying to say is, if Emery or Wenger or 'X, Y, Z' were managers they would be in the team playing today.

Whilst Kane broke through under Sherwood, it was Poch that elevated him into one of the Worlds best strikers. When Kane was at our academy is wasn't rated as universally as ESR or Saka, there was debated uncertainty about his future. (We'll never know with certainty if he would have become what he is today if he left Spurs and say played at Leicester or Norwich under a different manager than Poch).

He's another thought to ponder. Name ONE player in their entire squad who Arteta has improved?

Leno - Declined
Xhaka - Looool

I don’t tend to watch them tbh. But I did watch a game earlier this year and was surprised how poor they are when they fall behind.

He has them well organised and a decent shape. But they don’t create much in way of clear cut chances.

And you are spot on they have spent a lot and show relatively little for it.

They will drop off next season playing European football. Then where do the go from there?Manager change and a United style wilderness period is my bet.

I don’t tend to watch them tbh. But I did watch a game earlier this year and was surprised how poor they are when they fall behind.

He has them well organised and a decent shape. But they don’t create much in way of clear cut chances.

And you are spot on they have spent a lot and show relatively little for it.

They will drop off next season playing European football. Then where do the go from there?Manager change and a United style wilderness period is my bet.
Agreed.

The only credit I can afford Arteta is without the ball they can be a well-organised team, show signs of their coaching with minimal spaces, emphasised further when they've been down to 10 men.

However, this only appears when they have scored the first goal and are defending the lead. If at any time they concede the first goal they are shit.

I think their biggest issues are in transition, Partey (who I don't think has been anything like the player he was at Atleti) can at least compensate for that, not enough though.

I think Arteta is just a very defensive coach and lacks the ability to have his teams create. Ultimately this is the hardest part of the deal, this is what the elite coaches can do, there are a lot of Pullis, Warnock's, Mourinho's & Hodgson's about.

and lacks the ability to have his teams create. Ultimately this is the hardest part of the deal, this is what the elite coaches can do, there are a lot of Pullis, Warnock's, Mourinho's & Hodgson's about.

Remember friends spending the day at a club with one of those coaches. Came back totally amazed he was a premier league coach.
Arteta clearly organises his team well.
But Guardiola’s focus on creating space and overloads in the final 1/3rd is really not apparent at all in the way woolwich play. After this amount of time with that squad that’s a big hole in his skill set.

And their overall mentality I think will stem from him and his inexperience of how to deal with these situations on the touch line. They are weak 100%.

Arteta probably needed a lower profile job and then developed himself as a coach more. I have zero problem with him learning on the job down the road though.

there was debated uncertainty about his future.
There was no debate regarding Kane. Just check the first pages of his thread on here. All of us (I joined a lot later but I have no doubt I would've said the same thing) were certain he would be a Championship striker, at best a Palace/Brighton/Southampton level one. Kane becoming what he did is purely down to him and his drive.

Last edited:
Fucking gold. :dembelelol:
ckq0I3Y.jpg

There was no debate regarding Kane. Just check the first pages of his thread on here. All of us (I joined a lot later but I have no doubt I would've said the same thing) were certain he would be a Championship striker, at best a Palace/Brighton/Southampton level one. Kane become what he did is purely down to him and his drive.
There were some, very few, that openly said he was mustard and this was before he played for the first team.

Back
Top Bottom