Come here to laugh at Gooners

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's nothing more than 'copium' to say they're shit.

They're obviously not. They finished 3 points behind us in Arteta's first season two years ago, they finished 1 point behind us a year ago and then this year they finished 2 points behind us. The gap isn't as much as some people would have you believe.

Now of course, Arteta has been in charge whilst we've had the likes of Mourinho, Mason and Nuno and still not managed to overtake us but they've spent a lot of money now, have a well balanced squad, actually show patterns of play and a young team that can only improve. Palace and Leicester aren't particularly 'hard' games to start a season with and their fixtures only get easier for the next few weeks, but I'm not particularly worried too much.

Conte is a much better manager, I feel we have a much better squad and I can't help but feel we're a harder team to beat in general. I know it's a bit cliché but we'll see what happens when they lose a game. That's when see how a coach and a team can react. When they lost to Palace last season, their was doubt and they then went on to lose to Brighton and Southampton...

I wouldn't be surprised if they finished 5th and I would be particularly amazed if they finished in the top 4.
I hate this saying, it's simply not true.

Young players may improve, they may also remain the same, or even regress...

Look at the amount of players that go all the way through PL academies only to be released and never play a minute of PL football, there's your proof that young players can't only improve.

Wilshere, Dele, Winks, examples from them and us of young players who peaked at a young age and stagnated badly.

If it was as simple as young players improving on a linear trajectory, then every side would just be piling youth teamers into their squads and waiting for them to all become world class...

Of course it's an exaggeration to say they are shit, it is to say that about any side in the PL, even those that end up rock bottom, as they are amongst the 20 best sides in the entire nation. But as far as football banter goes, "relatively speaking you're mildly less good than us" isn't much of a sick burn...

Anyone noticed the large number of Gooner melts on Twitter absolutely fuming with our equaliser and celebrations? Jumping on Chelsea dicks too. Fucking pathetic fan base. Totally forgetting they celebrated a draw to palace last season like they won the world cup

Anyone noticed the large number of Gooner melts on Twitter absolutely fuming with our equaliser and celebrations? Jumping on Chelsea dicks too. Fucking pathetic fan base. Totally forgetting they celebrated a draw to palace last season like they won the world cup
They better hope they buy 2/3 more players.

A significant injury to Jesus and/or Partey and they'll crumble.

The highlight of their season last year was a loss at home to City.

They also celebrated because they only lost 2-1 to Man City.

Guys watched the second set of AON episodes. Not a lot in there really. But the preview for the last two episodes.....did you see Arteta giving a teamtalk with a lit lightbulb in his hand? What the actual fuck?

One is the messiah, the son of God, healer of lepers, the other a rapist.
monty python messiah GIF

Describes both of them.
(allegedly)

Watched an alternative-to-Sky broadcast of the Liverpool v Palace game last night.
While chatting about how organised Palace looked at Anfield, Jim Beglin suggested Vieira has been playing "You'll Never Walk Alone" during training which got chuckles from both commentators.
It seems most people think Arteta is cheesy as fuck.

Did you see each player has regular one on one meetings with a coach? Basically the same as getting checked up on and having the staff breathing down your neck (although it wasn't presented this way). I suspect the same goes on at a number of clubs in the modern game.

That would get on my tits if I was a player.

Also Emmanuel Petit has really left himself go:

Mikel Arteta calls north London derby ‘a f***ing joke’ as Rob Holding criticises team-mates after red card

Mikel Arteta described Woolwich’s north London derby defeat to Spurs as ‘a f***ing joke’ in scenes captured in the final episode of All or Nothing, with the Spaniard fuming with the officiating in the match.

A win back in May at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium would have seen the Gunners secure Champions League football, but they ended up losing back-to-back matches against Spurs and Newcastle to throw away fourth place.

Tottenham’s 3-0 win was a contentious and fiery affair with Woolwich unhappy with the perceived softness of a penalty awarded early on in the match, before Rob Holding was sent off for two yellow card offences.

All or Nothing captures the defender’s reaction in the dressing room afterwards, with Holding’s ire not so much on the decision but, rather, his team-mates for constantly leaving him one-v-one against Heung-min Son.

‘It’s just shite like,’ moaned the defender to one of Woolwich’s coaching staff. ‘I should have never been one-v-one [against Son] in the first place! All the time, one-v-one.’

Arteta gave a curt and evasive interview after the defeat to Spurs, refusing to address the decisions he clearly had issues with and telling Sky Sports: ‘If I say what I think, I’d be suspended for six months. So I cannot say.’

But he was altogether more vocal in the dressing room with his players, slamming the refereeing performance he had witnessed and even ordering a social media blackout.

‘Okay, this game is history. We don’t talk about this game no more. It’s gone. No social media, no s**t in the media, don’t give them absolutely nothing,’ said the Spaniard to his dejected players.

‘We cannot do anything about it, it’s gone. You know how we lost it. We have to move on. Now, in this moment, we have to start to beat Newcastle now.

‘This is gone, we cannot change it. Guys, we learn from it. I will complain everything that I can to try to defend our club because it was a f***ing joke what happened out there. But, after that, it’s still in our hands.’

Later in the episode, Arteta again referenced the external forces he felt were at work in the north London derby, saying: ‘I really wanted to go there and play the game the way we wanted to play it, and we weren’t allowed to do so.’

Although Woolwich missed out on Champions League football, they made some stellar signings over the summer – with Gabriel Jesus, Oleksandr Zinchenko and Fabio Vieira all arriving – and have started the new campaign with maximum points.

The final two episodes of All or Nothing: Woolwich will be available to stream on Amazon Prime Video on Thursday 18th August

Back
Top Bottom