Come here to laugh at United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And get sacked by Real in 18 months ?
He has good knowledge of the Premier League
And it's good news for us because the best they would do is be runners up.
I didn’t say he’d go to Real
Who knows?
I don’t really care but no way does he go to ManU IMO

I think it's silly for anyone to say he got the job "because he stuck his toe out in '99"

He got the job because he was a pretty fucking good interim manager for them.

The mistake however WAS to hire him permanently. He should have been nothing more than an interim manager until at least that summer before hiring someone new and fresh.

I think it's silly for anyone to say he got the job "because he stuck his toe out in '99"

The mistake however WAS to hire him permanently. He should have been nothing more than an interim manager until at least that summer before hiring someone new and fresh.
He wouldn't get the chance to become the interim manager in the first place to begin with, with his CV if not for his connection with the club.

You can understand in case an assistant manager with that kind of CV get the job, due to the fact that he's been part of old regime. To maintain some continuity while having a connection to the club. But for Carrick and our former youth coach who worked as Mourinho's assistants for few months, stayed for the same role; just to happily work with an under-qualified interim manager, it's questionable.

If not for connection, I don't understand why any newly promoted assistant managers out there would do the same. You were in a mess right after you're newly promoted to big job. Now you decide to risk it further working with a manager who has an iffy CV? Why not yourself taking that interim role instead?

Ole didn't bring his own coaching staffs from his previous job. He just came in, installing one of Fergie old assistant and kept most of Mourinho's set up. The whole situation at Man U reeks coup de tat.

They got that post Mourinho meltdown new manager boost, riding on Mourinho work for that interim period. IIRC, as soon as Ole got confirmed as full time manager, their form sharply dipped. The less Mourinho influence, the worse their defensive organization this Man U team has become.

Last edited:
He would get the chance to become the interim manager in the first place to begin with, with his CV if not for his connection with the game.

You can understand in case an assistant manager with that kind of CV get the job, due to the fact that he's been part of old regime. To maintain some continuity while having a connection to the club. But for Carrick and our former youth coach who worked as Mourinho's assistants for few months, stayed for the same role; just to happily work with an under-qualified interim manager, it's questionable.

If not for connection, I don't understand why any newly promoted assistant managers out there would do the same. You were in a mess right after you're newly promoted to big job. Now you decide to risk it further working with a manager who has an iffy CV? Why not yourself taking that interim role instead?

Ole didn't bring his own coaching staffs from his previous job. He just came in, installing one of Fergie old assistant and kept most of Mourinho's set up. The whole situation at Man U reeks coup de tat.

They got that post Mourinho meltdown new manager boost, riding on Mourinho work for that interim period. IIRC, as soon as Ole got confirmed as full time manager, their form sharply dipped. The less Mourinho influence, the worse their defensive organization this Man U team has become.

He's a Man Utd legend - you tend to hire a club legend or someone related to the club as an interim. And it was never going to be the latter as Mourinho and his backroom staff had gone. So, who could they have got in on short notice who knew the club, spent a decade there and had managerial experience? Ole Solsjkaer

Sherwood is mark you don't follow.

He came in, former Spurs player, connections with the club and for all intents and purposes done a decent job. He came in, won 13 of his 22 league games in charge, drawing 3 and losing 6 (4 of which were teams that finished above us) - but he would have been a DISASTER as a full time manager. Levy knew it.

And that's ultimately the difference. We have a chairman with vision. Someone who could have quite easily stuck with Sherwood. Cheap. Promoted youth. Aimed to play good football... But nope. he went out and made a Southampton manager (who Sherwood beat TWICE) one of the most expensive managers in the league and the rest is history.

Man Utds ownership however have no vision. Zero direction, They're riding off their history and the fact they are the richest club in world football. Failing doesn't really affect them, certainly not in the short term. They can still pretty much attract whoever they want within reason due to their stature and money and they can hire whoever they want when they want within reason too.

And for some reason, they're sticking with Ole.

Probably because league wise, only Liverpool have done better than them this calendar year. But again, that's on his ridiculously talented squad of footballers as opposed to his actual managing ability, but again, the Man Utd ownership haven't really got a club and most likely think the games are won by him.

Wait, I thought we were talking about United...

Yes and United have a really good squad.

But they are quite clearly poorly coached and managed by someone hideously out of his depth. It's why everyone is worrying about what Pochettino could do with them. You hear it regularly when United win "at least it keeps Ole in the job" or "Keeps Pochettino away" etc. etc.

That is why they win a lot more than they fail to win and why they are 2nd behind Liverpool in form from January to now. Nearly a whole 12 months..

Even on that record - if Ole lost his job today. What top club would hire him? None.

That tells you all you need to know about Solsjkaer as a manager. He inherited a good squad who have pretty much carried him in that job for 2 years.

I don't really understand WHY they have kept with him- whether it's because the likes of Neville and Ferdinand and club legends love the guy and WANT to see him do well (and then they feel he proves them right when they go and win league games or break club records like he has done) so they put pressure on the chairman? Maybe Ferguson loves him and wants him to succeed and he has some kind of pull?

I don't know - but they should be moving mountains to get in Poch or another manager who can take them to the next level. Yet they haven't. It's weird.

But funny.

exp9.jpg

The trouble is, United are obsessed with the romance of the “United Way” and can’t move on from Ferguson.

OGS was them clinging on to one of the remnants of that era.

Back
Top Bottom