Come here to laugh at United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Most already have a Ronaldo shirt. :levylol:

surely he is not wearing any other number then 7

Cavani's got 7 now.

Eeks-this-is-awkward-GIF.gif

"Manchester United is delighted to confirm that the club has reached agreement with Juventus for the transfer of Cristiano Ronaldo, subject to agreement of personal terms, visa and medical."

It's a bit weird they announced it before the signing is actually formalised.

I don't doubt it will be but stranger things have happened.

Hadn't City also agreed a fee with Juve previously?

He is nearly 37. Didn’t think he was too hectic at Juventus last few years in the big European Cup games, a tournament he was signed essentially to win for them.

Not sure how this will play out. Watching him quite a bit last season he is a shadow of the player he was, he barely presses, tackles, runs like he used to but he is still a very good finisher from close range, he is like a Robbie Fowler player now.

In terms of United I think it could be both a hit and miss signing. He will score goals on the one hand because of his quality but on the other his decline in other areas will unbalance them a bit like us with Bale. Others players will have do extra work which could blunt them a bit and his ego will mean the team dynamic will centre on him and him alone.

In simple terms I think they will be better individually but maybe not as much collectively.

While I don’t think Chelsea where that good against Woolwich (Woolwich had most of their best players injured and where just shit) IMO Chelsea have the most balanced squad.

Christ.

They’re going to be paying Ronaldo half a million a week.

Their wage bill must be insane.

If they're paying De Gea 350k/week and paid Alexis Sanchez 300k or whatever it was, they're always going to be held ransom by any quality signing, much less f-ing Ronaldo. They've got a long, hard restructure, if they want to right those wrongs.

If anything I'm surprised, Ronaldo hasn't squeezed their balls even harder :allitongue:

RIP Bruno Penaldes, will not take a single penalty as long as Penaldo is there

I was thinking along those lines. We'll see very soon whether OGS is a real manager, or as suspected a boy in a man's job. With how much Ole's bigged up Fernandes and with his record from the spot, by any logic he shouldn't be removed. But I suspect, you're correct...and Ole's just a scared little boy living his dream job :nunoteeth:

Devoid of logic. They just screwed his progress for two years

Well, at the very least they've messed with the progress of either Sancho or Greenwood. At a guess, I'd say Ronaldo is more likely to play as a 9, and thus it'll affect Greenwood more imo. If the common thought that Greenwood was suppose to learn from Cavani for one more year, before taking the mantle.

Either way, completely agree that it's devoid of logic! OGS has spent these years finally building what looks like some sort of harmony. They sold Lukaku, partly, on that account ffs! Fernandes has just spent a Euros, a terrible Euros, in Ronaldo's shadow. And IIRC Real's dressing room was divided into two distinct groups during Ronaldo's time. Varane is a very smart cookie off the pitch, and I'll take a stab and say, he wasn't in the clique as the playboy that is Ronaldo. From a pure football perspective it's an amazing signing, but there's pitfalls all over the place within. And I'm not sure they have the manager to navigate those.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes. I think Ronaldo was being shielded by Serie A not being a very good quality league, and while a lot of the Premier League teams are also crap these days it's definitely more intense. Dunno how he'll cope with that.

Definitely feels like a signing for the brand more than any football reasons. There's five or six worldwide superstar footballers and it feels like it's now important for the top tier european clubs to have at least one of them on their books to remain at the top table in terms of worldwide audience.

My grandad would be spinning in his grave to see football reduced to this etc.

Whether he can make the difference in masive games these days, he'll guarantee Man U win the games they "ought" to.

Hard to see this as anything but bad news. I speak as one who feels we have a decent chance of top 4 this year. Probably just got a little harder.

If i was Paratici i'd call them up and ask them if Cavani is available now..

I'd take him as a striker backup for Kane.
I wouldn't. I just read Cavani decided to prioritize playing for Uruguay over Man U, so gonna miss a huge chunk of first half of this season (missed pre season already). He held Man U for hostage at the end of last season over renewal too. His mind is elsewhere. Not fully committed in England. What keeping him partially motivated is clearly the money (wage). I doubt we can fulfill his demands.

Last edited:
Last edited:
They won't.

They are other commercial agreements that no doubt forged, but shirt sales is a total and utter myth.

Fair enough. But the etc on the end of my post suggested that it wasn't the only way they'll get a lot of their money back into the club. Just the fact that Ronaldo, like Messi, has a fanbase of his own will give United God knows how many more temporary supporters worldwide for however long he is there, many who will spend money buying merchandise and/or paying to watch games.

Couldn't care less....

More misery for City and I reckon he'll feel the pinch a bit trying to handle the rigours of the PL each week. Meanwhile he never came close to winning the CL for Juve, so wouldn't expect much of a dent for Utd....... Ole's still their big handicap.

Expect mega-wanking on TV every time he touches the ball though.

Fair enough. But the etc on the end of my post suggested that it wasn't the only way they'll get a lot of their money back into the club. Just the fact that Ronaldo, like Messi, has a fanbase of his own will give United God knows how many more temporary supporters worldwide for however long he is there, many who will spend money buying merchandise and/or paying to watch games.
Of course. Merchandise not so much but there's a ton of money to be made in commercial tie-ups for sponsorship deals and at the very least any existing partner that might have been struggling from COVID revenues etc and considering their options to continue might now be looking to reevaluate or even commit to renewing terms.

There is one thing though that may well make this deal not go through yet and that's Ronaldo's own image rights. I'm no expert in these things but Utd and their lawyers will be working around the clock to unravel all of them and will have to do a lot as there are huge differences between Italy and England (I can't recall what they are) around said agreements. Their own statement made it clear that the deal is still subject to terms, those being the complicated image rights stuff, not salaries and bonuses which aren't that complicated at all.

Of course. Merchandise not so much but there's a ton of money to be made in commercial tie-ups for sponsorship deals and at the very least any existing partner that might have been struggling from COVID revenues etc and considering their options to continue might now be looking to reevaluate or even commit to renewing terms.

There is one thing though that may well make this deal not go through yet and that's Ronaldo's own image rights. I'm no expert in these things but Utd and their lawyers will be working around the clock to unravel all of them and will have to do a lot as there are huge differences between Italy and England (I can't recall what they are) around said agreements. Their own statement made it clear that the deal is still subject to terms, those being the complicated image rights stuff, not salaries and bonuses which aren't that complicated at all.

Not that you're wrong; but how insipid it is to be signing players for sponsorship, advertising and image reasons..... More modern football bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom