Commentators/pundits

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The fuck did we do to deserve Michael Owen and Robbie Savage?

giphy.gif

I miss Andy Grays iconic voice.

No one has come close since. I don't mind Neville as a pundit but as a commentator he's garbage. Everyone else comes off as a pretender since they sacked Gray, like he had his phrases and now everyone else seems to want their own or try create iconic moments like Gray did.

I'd rather hear Savage and Hoddle over Alan Smith and Tyler anytime

Not sure with whom Savage is partnered atm, haven't heard him in a while

Loved Barry Davies. I remember when he made a return for a one-off on MoTD a few years ago. I grew up with Brian Moore, Barry Davies and John Motson calling pretty much every game I could watch on TV. I feel the effect of the great commentators have on us as fans is greatly unappreciated because they help us recall so many great moments we love to relive in our heads.

Shameless plug: the role commentators play in our football memories motivated me to make my prints (as mentioned on this week's podcast).

I love the Davies commentary that accompanied Gazza's '91 free-kick:

il_570xN.1130794980_k0ow.jpg

PAUL GASCOIGNE v Woolwich ( FA Cup semi-final digital art print ) :pochsmirk:

I've posted this before but make no apology for posting it again. For me this is the greatest football commentary of all time. I've seen/heard it hundreds of times but each time i watch/listen to it again without fail I get goosebumps. This coming from an Englishman. It's made all the better for it being in Mono too, maybe I'm just getting like my Dad and looking back to "back in the day it was better", so come at me young'uns tell me that I've got it wrong and why.

For obvious personal reasons I love this too, it's not as Iconic as Barry Davies coms but I tear up when I rewatch this as it takes me back to one off the best days of my life, just behind the births of my kids and Grand kids.

A commentator that I enjoyed listening to was Peter Brackley on Football Italia in the 90's, where the fuck is he now?

Best commentator today is Conor McNamara, mainly radio but he is beginning to get some TV gigs now. He is also a great follow on Twitter as his pre-and post match tweets always give an insight that isn't seen.

Nice article with my favourite Barry Davies

Barry Davies: ‘Each generation gets the commentator it deserves’

Barry Davies: ‘Each generation gets the commentator it deserves’
thanks for posting, great read. I wondered why I'd missed the article in the first place, then realised it was on my birthday!

BD gave a very good talk a few months ago that I was lucky enough to be at. Big Spurs fan but very proud that it was never detected from his commentary. Soooooo much better than that bloody anorak Motson, and David Coleman who knew nothing about football.

ITV had Brian Moore, who I thought was great too. Used to get so excited when commentating on goals on the Big Match that the sound went all fuzzy.

Back
Top Bottom