competition for places

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is it my imagination or rose tinted glasses but both Aurier ( who had his best game in a Spurs shirt) and also Davies ( even if it was a brief glimps today ) played really well, is this due to the fact they have had no one challenging them for a place in the team.
What's your opinions?

Squads win trophies. Big clubs should aspire to 2 good players for every outfield position. You won't always be able to achieve that but should always strive towards it.

Competition between players for a place is healthy. We've probably lacked that over the last few years with a few players (Dele) seemingly getting worse because they weren't really being challenged for their spot.

Yep. I guess subconsciously it must be quite easy to take your foot off the gas if there's no realistic cover.

Really impressed with our business in this window. Competition all over the squad.

Is it my imagination or rose tinted glasses but both Aurier ( who had his best game in a Spurs shirt) and also Davies ( even if it was a brief glimps today ) played really well, is this due to the fact they have had no one challenging them for a place in the team.
What's your opinions?
Rose had a point - players kept getting picked even when playing shit. Now they’ll simply be dropped for their respective cover.

Squads win trophies. Big clubs should aspire to 2 good players for every outfield position. You won't always be able to achieve that but should always strive towards it.

Competition between players for a place is healthy. We've probably lacked that over the last few years with a few players (Dele) seemingly getting worse because they weren't really being challenged for their spot.
Squads.....and defence. Nobody wins leagues with a leaky defence. We may be one CB away....

I'd say we're already contenders though

It’s a fair point. I imagine our training sessions are ultra competitive now.

Even at our best under Poch we never had this level of depth.

What's your opinions?
Yeah, agree with that.
Also having rotation in the squad allows extra rest, it might only be on a match day but that is huge when you're playing twice a week.

I wouldn't sell/loan anyone else, and I hope we get a CB in tomorrow. Why would we sell Dele? If he's being professional, working hard, and doing what's needed, that will only be a positive for the team, both on and off the pitch.

We're at the point where we can bring guys like Dele, Aurier, Sissoko, Bergwijn and others off the bench. I believe there are a decent number of PL clubs where they'd be in the top XI.

It sucks that supporters still aren't allowed in, but I'm going to enjoy and appreciate this season because it's got the chance to be special.

Squads.....and defence. Nobody wins leagues with a leaky defence. We may be one CB away....

I'd say we're already contenders though

Is it leaky though?

Only 2 teams have a better defence than us in the league so far this season and we've conceded just 1 goal from open play in our last 6 league games....

Liverpool, last seasons best defence, just got 7 put passed them by the team that survived relegation on the final day last season....

You win the league via squad depth and luck. We definitely have the squad depth. Healthy competition with every position on the pitch - whether we get the luck or not, whether through injuries or decisions, is yet to be seen.

In a matter of a few short weeks we’ve gone from a team lacking in a handful of areas to building a squad with top 4 depth in the league. I’m enjoying all this rotation. It’ll keep opposition guessing as to who and what formation we will play. With Kane dropping into this almost false 9 role recently and feeding Sonny is absolutely brilliant. Imagine when Bale steps on the pitch. This could be a very special season.

Yes Competition has pushed Davies & Aurier to better performances but also confidence within the team because we are playing better will have also contributed. Availability of having someone spare to pass to rather than having no option but to pass back also makes a big difference. Ndombele has his faults but he can take the ball however closely he is marked and more options when in possession helps both of those players.

In a matter of a few short weeks we’ve gone from a team lacking in a handful of areas to building a squad with top 4 depth in the league. I’m enjoying all this rotation. It’ll keep opposition guessing as to who and what formation we will play. With Kane dropping into this almost false 9 role recently and feeding Sonny is absolutely brilliant. Imagine when Bale steps on the pitch. This could be a very special season.
Agree on this. And you can tell by Ole's Man Utd having a 'B-team' in the league cup and starting his same eleven every other week in the prem. Pogba was in no way deserving on playing 90 minutes yesterday and he topped it off by laughing when he committed the pen. Shambles of a club.

Back
Top Bottom