Conte: winners and losers

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bottom line:

Winks / PEH / B'cur is a better MF than PEH / Winks or B'cur / Winks.
It’s really not, and it hampers our attack without another forward. You do realise that Winks and PEH will be just as poor at winning second balls and progressing our play with Bentancur behind them as they are without him?

Hojberg is his "Warrior" he clearly rates him and it's obvious he'll play him.

Wolves played a graduate player. Do we have an Academy?

But back to last month. If Conte is so unhappy withWinks and Hojberg, why wasn't two new CMs a priority rather than a slow winger or a Rugby League winger?
Those arguments are more to do with the clowns at the very top than Conte.

It’s really not, and it hampers our attack without another forward. You do realise that Winks and PEH will be just as poor at winning second balls and progressing our play with Bentancur behind them as they are without him?

Right, so getting battered and chasing shadows from the whistle and conceding 2 early goals is the best possible platform for our attackers is it?

There's so much more to fix.

But Conte isn't fixing it with this stupid 343 or counter attacks with slow wingers.

Also I thought the guy had balls? Why was he so afraid to take off Son who was a man down all game?
Son also had, I’m guessing, 4-5 attempts on goal and couldn’t convert a single one. He didn’t have a great game but there was nobody else actually able to create chances aside from him.

I tend to agree with your point, but he was virtually the only one actually producing chances.

Edit: according to Who Scored he had three shots, two on target. He had more opportunities on runs that overall that didn’t result in a shot.

Last edited:
Those arguments are more to do with the clowns at the very top than Conte.
Right, so Conte has nothing to do with the team?

I guarantee the posters slagging thee players not Conte for the first half would have praised Conte not the players if we had come back and won 3-2.

So please, enlghten me. What the fuck is Conte doing.

The Conte fan boys are lke Christians "God only does good" etc. when something bd happens "You must have brought that on yourself. Have faith"

Right, so getting battered from the whistle and conceding 2 early goals is the best possible platform for our attackers is it?
Maybe instead of resorting to a strawman argument and sarcasm actually read the post you’re responding to?

My argument is that Winks and PEH aren’t gonna do shit, in a 1 man, 2 man, 3 man, 4 man or even 5 man midfield. Our players don’t have the quality and we would have gotten battered like that regardless of what shit was trotted out into that position. Overloading that area with rubbish and playing a 3\5\2 would just makes Wolves job even easier as they only have 2 forwards to smother.

Your beef should be with the lack of quality in key positions not the tactics. We probably have a worse midfield than any other club in the top 10 of the prem, likely worse fullbacks too.

Maybe instead of resorting to a strawman argument and sarcasm actually read the post you’re responding to?

It's not strawman at all..... (See below for why.)

My argument is that Winks and PEH aren’t gonna do shit, in a 1 man, 2 man, 3 man, 4 man or even 5 man midfield.

My argument is that they'll be better with a third body as they won't be out-numbered buy virtually ever team in the league..... The defense won't find themselves under so much pressure and we might just earn ourselves a little more time with the ball when we win it cos we won't be so easily pressed thanks to the oppo having an extra man in the centre..... In turn we might just get to transition the ball better,

As it is we're putting too much pressure on the WBs even though we know that the RWBs are shite.

If the only argument that people can put forward is that it keeps Lucas in the field the sorry (despite liking Lucas) that ain't enough.

Even with Skipp & Kulu as a 2CM; I still have my doubts.

Be it 352, 433 or 4231 I don't care; the fact remains the same: Without Kante, Dembele or a similar machine of a difference-maker; 2CMs is doomed to fail.

We turned down a far better fit for the club when we turned down Ten Hag.

A manager who plays gorgeous attractive football, who develops players and isn't afraid to drop experienced players and bring in youngsters.

The thing is, if Conte fails, we're likely to be in a position we haven't been in for the last 20 years or so.

I know reports may have said that we turned down Ten Hag but I doubt that he would have come because no chance Levy lets him run the club the way he wants.

We turned down a far better fit for the club when we turned down Ten Hag.

A manager who plays gorgeous attractive football, who develops players and isn't afraid to drop experienced players and bring in youngsters.

The thing is, if Conte fails, we're likely to be in a position we haven't been in for the last 20 years or so.
With the exception of Juve Conte hasn't got a track record of sticking around at a club for a long time. I'm OK with this. Because of this I don't expect him to be with us for a long time either, again I'm OK with this.

An area where I'm also OK with him has been his record of the clubs he left, in every one of them the team actually improved further on what he had done (Chelsea, Italy & Inter). So, for this reason, I would be hopeful this might happen to us. I think his recruitment is very good and I quite like our recruitment of a much younger profile of player recently (even if they aren't ready yet).

I was very fearful of Jose, I think his recruitment is terrible and he leaves his clubs in complete turmoil and very, very unfit.

Whilst I'm very critical of his recent selections and how we've been outplayed recently this doesn't persuade me about his ability. I think he's a really good appointment. I'm just completely bemused with what I've seen in the last couple of games (and vs Chelsea). I really liked how we played against Brighton, Leicester for instance.

Maybe......hopefully, the past two games just happen whilst we are still transitioning.......:contepray:

With the exception of Juve Conte hasn't got a track record of sticking around at a club for a long time. I'm OK with this. Because of this I don't expect him to be with us for a long time either, again I'm OK with this.

An area where I'm also OK with him has been his record of the clubs he left, in every one of them the team actually improved further on what he had done (Chelsea, Italy & Inter). So, for this reason, I would be hopeful this might happen to us. I think his recruitment is very good and I quite like our recruitment of a much younger profile of player recently (even if they aren't ready yet).

I was very fearful of Jose, I think his recruitment is terrible and he leaves his clubs in complete turmoil and very, very unfit.

Whilst I'm very critical of his recent selections and how we've been outplayed recently this doesn't persuade me about his ability. I think he's a really good appointment. I'm just completely bemused with what I've seen in the last couple of games (and vs Chelsea). I really liked how we played against Brighton, Leicester for instance.

Maybe......hopefully, the past two games just happen whilst we are still transitioning.......:contepray:

his transfer record with Chelsea was pretty horrendous. £250million+ and only 3 good signings in that. He also fucked them over by falling out with and selling Costa when they were second in the league and they fell away and missed out on the UCL as we stormed past them.

People forget at Chelsea, he got the job because the players had fallen out with Jose, the same players who won the league and League cup 5 months earlier, so no question he had the perfect infrastructure at Chelsea.

He doesn't have it here.

It's not strawman at all..... (See below for why.)

My argument is that they'll be better with a third body as they won't be out-numbered buy virtually ever team in the league..... The defense won't find themselves under so much pressure and we might just earn ourselves a little more time with the ball when we win it cos we won't be so easily pressed thanks to the oppo having an extra man in the centre..... In turn we might just get to transition the ball better,

As it is we're putting too much pressure on the WBs even though we know that the RWBs are shite.

If the only argument that people can put forward is that it keeps Lucas in the field the sorry (despite liking Lucas) that ain't enough.

Even with Skipp & Kulu as a 2CM; I still have my doubts.

Be it 352, 433 or 4231 I don't care; the fact remains the same: Without Kante, Dembele or a similar machine of a difference-maker; 2CMs is doomed to fail.
Winks and Hojbjerg are still going to struggle to contribute in a 3 man midfield. The whole point of having 3 up front is because we don’t have the quality to play in midfield. Last thing we want is more time on the ball when the players who would be on it are Winks and Hojbjerg. The 2 in midfield allows us to bypass the shit and try and get one of the front 3 onto it.

In a 3 man midfield, these donkeys will give up more counter attack opportunities due to their lack of ability and we wont get as many chances because the players in question ruin any sort of buildup we try. At least in the 343 there’s a chance one of the forwards will get onto it, in a 352 we will be so easy to defend against.

I personally have seen enough about this lot and believe that there’s nothing to them mentally and technically. That’s 3 managers in a row now that have tried to play longball football because they know that we are lacking quality in the middle. I’m slowly coming to accept that the rest of this season will be an embarrassing limp across the finish line because frankly there’s nothing else the manager can do with what is currently in our squad.

his transfer record with Chelsea was pretty horrendous. £250million+ and only 3 good signings in that. He also fucked them over by falling out with and selling Costa when they were second in the league and they fell away and missed out on the UCL as we stormed past them.

People forget at Chelsea, he got the job because the players had fallen out with Jose, the same players who won the league and League cup 5 months earlier, so no question he had the perfect infrastructure at Chelsea.

He doesn't have it here.
I think Chelsea were massively improved by him post Dinosaur.

Perhaps they aren't a good example to use for arguments for or against, they are just weird Club. No Club is operated like them, they are an anomaly.

At his other teams, the evidence is there though.

If I have one concern with him and it's his record playing against teams that are "good" pressing teams. It's not good and the wins he has picked up against these teams were typical lucky wins where the oppo were all over them, pumping loads of shots on their goal and they nick an odd goal on the break (absolutely no masterclass).

I detest this rigid application of the 3-4-3/ 3-5-2.
All our wing backs except Reguilon are total shit, and we have to play at least one shit CB as well. It just doesn't work with this squad.

I detest this rigid application of the 3-4-3/ 3-5-2.
All our wing backs except Reguilon are total shit, and we have to play at least one shit CB as well. It just doesn't work with this squad.

Back 4 doesn’t change that as it means we have shit FBs because our FBs outside of Reguilon are shit.

Plus Davies, Sanchez both much worse in a back 4 than back 3 so you are still getting a shit CB.

And our midfield is shit so having one then replace a CB is just shit for shit.

Winks and Hojbjerg are still going to struggle to contribute in a 3 man midfield. The whole point of having 3 up front is because we don’t have the quality to play in midfield. Last thing we want is more time on the ball when the players who would be on it are Winks and Hojbjerg. The 2 in midfield allows us to bypass the shit and try and get one of the front 3 onto it.

Not working though is it......

In a 3 man midfield, these donkeys will give up more counter attack opportunities due to their lack of ability and we wont get as many chances because the players in question ruin any sort of buildup we try. At least in the 343 there’s a chance one of the forwards will get onto it, in a 352 we will be so easy to defend against.

I personally have seen enough about this lot and believe that there’s nothing to them mentally and technically. That’s 3 managers in a row now that have tried to play longball football because they know that we are lacking quality in the middle. I’m slowly coming to accept that the rest of this season will be an embarrassing limp across the finish line because frankly there’s nothing else the manager can do with what is currently in our squad.

Personally; I don't see why Skipp + B'cur + 1 can't help improve things and I'd happily see us play B'cur + PEH + Winks to help prep ourselves for that.... Especially as City will absolutely destroy us if we can't match them man for man when out of possession.

Back
Top Bottom