Copa America

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Can someone also explain why Japan and Qatar are also in the tournament
There aren't enough countries in South America to run a full scale tournament. So they have invited countries from other federations since back in the 90s. Usually it's countries from North and Central America but they have the Gold Cup this year, and with the European countries being busy with the Nations League and Euro qualifiers and the African countries with the Cup of Nations they went to the Asian federation for countries to invite.

I'll go ahead and be that twat bringing this one up again, again. The longer this stuff goes on, the more I feel that for all his skill and achievement, Messi is nowhere near being GOAT.

He cannot keep falling flat on his face internationally, when it's combined with the, overlooked. detail that he's not won the CL - not even made a final - without Xavi and Iniesta pulling the strings.

On that note, nothing personal against him, as I'd readily admit he's an out of this world footballer, and I'd say Busquets-Iniesta-Xavi-Messi is the GOAT midfield quartet. By some distance. And with Messi as the crown jewel in it.

But GOAT without performing outside of a very specific comfort zone, I'm not having.
I know this puts me in the minority, but I don't really get why there has to be such a debate about who is better out of Messi and Ronaldo. I find ranking players and stuff like the Ballon d'Or to be the side of football that bores me to death.

There aren't enough countries in South America to run a full scale tournament. So they have invited countries from other federations since back in the 90s. Usually it's countries from North and Central America but they have the Gold Cup this year, and with the European countries being busy with the Nations League and Euro qualifiers and the African countries with the Cup of Nations they went to the Asian federation for countries to invite.

If there aren't enough countries on South America for a full scale tournament then why it just make the Copa America a tournament that includes the whole American contentment. Surely that would make it more of a Copa America than having the likes of Japan & Qatar being involved in it.

The decision must come down to money like most other things usually do.

Last edited:
If there aren't enough countries on SouthnAmerica for a full scale tournament then why it just make the Copa America a tournament that includes the whole American contentment. Surely that would make it more of a Copa America than having the likes of Japan & Qatar being involved in it.

The decision must come down to money like most other things usually do.
The American continent is split between two federations, Conmebol for South America, and Concacaf for Central and North America, and there in lies the crux.

A couple of years back they did a special anniversary version of the tournament which featured teams from the entire continent. And Mexico and the states have been regular guests as far as I know.

but yeah, it's part money and part issues between the two confederations. Ideally they would run the Copa together instead of as it is now with Conmebol running the better tournament with fewer teams, and Concacaf running a worse tournament (the Gold Cup) but with far more countries taking part.

Last edited:
The American continent is split between two federations, Conmebol for South America, and Concacaf for Central and North America, and there in lies the crux.

A couple of years back they did a special anniversary version of the tournament which featured teams from the entire continent. And Mexico and the states have been regular guests as far as I know.

but yeah, it's part money and part issues between the two confederations. Ideally they would run the Copa together instead of as it is now with Conmebol running the better tournament with fewer teams, and Concacaf running a worse tournament (the Gold Cup) but with far more countries taking part.

I'd forgotten about the likely politics between the two confederations. There's probably a worry that if they run a tournament together then next it will be combining the confederations, and half the football administrator suits will be out of a job. Like with the resistance the FAs of Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland put up when there's suggestions of a GB football team at the Olympics.

Cracking game.

Being played a 1000 mph. Both teams pressing the heck out of each other and also kicking the shit out of each other.

Some great bits of skill too.

Argies could do with Lo Celso.

Foyth has certainly given it 100% ... good that he's learning against the best, his lack of pace whilst apparent hasn't hurt Argentina that much, out of position for that second goal but then his whole team was ... still not sure if he's EPL right back defender standard but if we are attacking for 70% of most games then why not .... Brazil have won this by being more clinical ... Messi? all a bit meh .....

He would do well to watch the right back at the other end - Alves at 36 pure class

Back
Top Bottom