Copa America

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Qatar were not invited because they won the Asian championships, they were already invited when the tournament kicked off. They just happened to go on and win it to legitimize themselves.

Qatar airways is a major sponsor for Conmebol so it probably serves them financially to invite Qatar.

I thought the same thing when I saw him playing for Barcelona recently and again last night when the Uruguay game was on, Suarez looks a bit bulkier round the waist these days.

There aren't enough countries in South America to run a full scale tournament. So they have invited countries from other federations since back in the 90s. Usually it's countries from North and Central America but they have the Gold Cup this year, and with the European countries being busy with the Nations League and Euro qualifiers and the African countries with the Cup of Nations they went to the Asian federation for countries to invite.

If there aren't enough countries on South America for a full scale tournament then why it just make the Copa America a tournament that includes the whole American contentment. Surely that would make it more of a Copa America than having the likes of Japan & Qatar being involved in it.

The decision must come down to money like most other things usually do.

Last edited:
If there aren't enough countries on SouthnAmerica for a full scale tournament then why it just make the Copa America a tournament that includes the whole American contentment. Surely that would make it more of a Copa America than having the likes of Japan & Qatar being involved in it.

The decision must come down to money like most other things usually do.
The American continent is split between two federations, Conmebol for South America, and Concacaf for Central and North America, and there in lies the crux.

A couple of years back they did a special anniversary version of the tournament which featured teams from the entire continent. And Mexico and the states have been regular guests as far as I know.

but yeah, it's part money and part issues between the two confederations. Ideally they would run the Copa together instead of as it is now with Conmebol running the better tournament with fewer teams, and Concacaf running a worse tournament (the Gold Cup) but with far more countries taking part.

Last edited:
The American continent is split between two federations, Conmebol for South America, and Concacaf for Central and North America, and there in lies the crux.

A couple of years back they did a special anniversary version of the tournament which featured teams from the entire continent. And Mexico and the states have been regular guests as far as I know.

but yeah, it's part money and part issues between the two confederations. Ideally they would run the Copa together instead of as it is now with Conmebol running the better tournament with fewer teams, and Concacaf running a worse tournament (the Gold Cup) but with far more countries taking part.

I'd forgotten about the likely politics between the two confederations. There's probably a worry that if they run a tournament together then next it will be combining the confederations, and half the football administrator suits will be out of a job. Like with the resistance the FAs of Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland put up when there's suggestions of a GB football team at the Olympics.

No spark from Brazil in their game against Venezuela they look a bit pedestrian so far.
Two players in their mid 30s in Peru’s forward line, Guerrero and Farfan still doing the business .

I’m an hour into the Uruguay v Japan game, it’s a cracker, best game of the tournament so far. Tactically not the tightest but just a great game of football.

Two teams going right at it.

And as I type this Uruguay equalise again.

Foyth started tonight for Argentina. I’m 20 minutes in, Decent game so far, Qatar play some nice football at times.

Argentina have changed to a 433/4312 and immediately look better balanced.

LoCelso playing L8 in the CM3. Hope Poch is watching. A CM3 next season with NDombele and LCelso as lateral 8’s is quite a tasty prospect.

Foyth started tonight for Argentina. I’m 20 minutes in, Decent game so far, Qatar play some nice football at times.

Argentina have changed to a 433/4312 and immediately look better balanced.

LoCelso playing L8 in the CM3. Hope Poch is watching. A CM3 next season with NDombele and LCelso as lateral 8’s is quite a tasty prospect.
If Eriksen left and Lo Celso came in then that'd be a great way of setting up with Son, Kane, and Lucas up top.

Would bench Dele with that lineup but there's nothing wrong with competition for places.

If Eriksen left and Lo Celso came in then that'd be a great way of setting up with Son, Kane, and Lucas up top.

Would bench Dele with that lineup but there's nothing wrong with competition for places.

Pretty much agree with that. I'd go as far as say I'd sacrifice Eriksen and happily sacrifice Alli if I thought we would play a 433 with a really good CM3.

My perfect window would be something like Diawara, Ndombele, Lo Celso, Sessegnon, Fekir/Pepe. Ending up with:

Diawara(Skipp)
Ndombele(Winks)----------------------------Lo Celso

Pepe(Moura)--------Kane(Alli)--------(Son)Sessegnon​

Very typical first half from Foyth, played some nice football, looked very comfortable, then gets caught overplaying around the 33 minute mark and gives the ball away just outside his own box.

This format is so much better for Argentina but don't know why they need Aguero and Martinez in the front 3.

Decent half of football though in general from both teams. If Qatar had a decent striker they'd be more dangerous, their football is technically extremely good and tactically they are not bad either.

mundo24.jpg

They got the result against Qatar but Argentina continue to underwhelm and look quite lethargic and nothing really resembling an actual team at times.
Quite disjointed and look very vulnerable at times.

Chile-Uruguay had the feel of a real cup tie last night. Keenly contested with the winner taking first place in the group. Both teams went at it to get the three points and it was a very entertaining game
I think this competition is pretty wide open, no one team stands out in particular.

Back
Top Bottom