Coronavirus Crisis

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we continue to have crowds at football stadiums?

• Yes

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • No

Votes: 76 81.7%

• Total voters
Do you think they will start closing down the border? That would create a lot of tension if they do.

It would fuck the economy that's for sure, I can't see it as we have so few cases here in NI at the minute. There is absolutely no control on the border now and with something like 275 crossings it would impossible to police it without some kind of infrastructure.

I think that Coronavirus is just a fucking glorified flu.
That attitude is fine until it's your mum or granddad that dies. I wouldn't take a 10/1 shot on my mum dying for no reason. I don't even get anything back for my stake if she lives.

It's true that the average level of panic right now is disproportionate to the amount of real risk, and that's not being helped by the completely disproportionate amount of news coverage, which drives behaviours like panic buying in a vicious feedback loop. Nonetheless, the phenomenology and basal reproductive rate of SARS-CoV-2 warrant a sensible level of concern that unfortunately includes banning large public events.

Urbanisation is just a thing that's already happened - people are already living on top of each other - and it creates a lot of almost unavoidable transmission. That leaves large public gatherings as the single biggest avoidable source of droplet-communicable disease in the Western world.

Last edited:
That attitude is fine until it's your mum or granddad that dies. I wouldn't take a 10/1 shot on my mum dying for no reason. I don't even get anything back for my stake if she lives.

It's true that the average level of panic right now is disproportionate to the amount of real risk, and that's not being helped by the completely disproportionate amount of news coverage, which drives behaviours like panic buying in a vicious feedback loop. Nonetheless, the phenomenology and basal reproductive rate of SARS-CoV-2 warrant a sensible level of concern that unfortunately includes banning large public events.

Urbanisation is just a thing that's already happened - people are already living on top of each other - and it creates a lot of almost unavoidable transmission. That leaves large public gatherings as the single biggest avoidable source of communicable disease in the Western world.

That's pretty much where I am, this virus isn't a killer to most, but to a section of the population it clearly is. The fear I have is due to as you say the very high infection rate and how quickly its moving, its going to put massive pressure on our health service which is already struggling. A saturated health service will affect us all massively.

It would fuck the economy that's for sure, I can't see it as we have so few cases here in NI at the minute. There is absolutely no control on the border now and with something like 275 crossings it would impossible to police it without some kind of infrastructure.
But maybe that won't last long, the virus is uncontainable right now, strong suggestions that the UK will go into lockdown like Italy next week. If that happens one way or another the border will have to be policed otherwise there is no point in a lockdown.

Ah a Lib Dem voter.

:harrysmile:
Funny - and I rated it as such - but the Lib Dems are no exception. There's no standing party that represents my preferences. Every election is just a case-by-case assessment of the lesser of the evils for me.

Funny - and I rated it as such - but the Lib Dems are no exception. There's no standing party that represents my preferences. Every election is just a case-by-case assessment of the lesser of the evils for me.

What exactly are your preferences?!

Also, they're not all the same. It's both dangerous and lazy thinking to make such a claim.

Perhaps the crazy market both in player prices and in wages will come to a contraction.
Is such a high turnover for the CIRCUS normal while in real life there are real problems?
Until yesterday, everything was supported by the money of TV, sponsors, etc.
Will all these investors (if they survive) be willing to pay these figures tomorrow?
Will football clubs agree to pay these figures by exposing themselves way beyond?

The bubble will certainly explode.

But maybe that won't last long, the virus is uncontainable right now, strong suggestions that the UK will go into lockdown like Italy next week. If that happens one way or another the border will have to be policed otherwise there is no point in a lockdown.

Its like Brexit all over again, its a point that hasn't actually been mentioned here, Nolan will have a kitten with this.

Its like Brexit all over again, its a point that hasn't actually been mentioned here, Nolan will have a kitten with this.
Doctor estimating that half or the whole of NI population will get the virus, so certainly drastic steps will have to be taken.

If a contrarian is one who goes against popular opinion; based on what I know of popular opinion on most issues, I’ve no quarrel with being labelled one.

As I said in an earlier post: we have been blatantly lied to by our politicians, and, the media regarding the events of 911 2001 - provably lied to!

Clearly, and,blatantly the chiefest of the conniving lying conspirators are the collective corporate media; those that should be honestly informing us; lies we expect from politicians, but when the lies come from the “ collective” media, that media can never be trusted again!

It’s not paranoia- it’s a total lack of trust!
Pretty much. 9/11 is not an event on which I'm any kind of expert, self-proclaimed or otherwise, but, from first principles, there's absolutely no reason to trust your government[1]. I've heard explanations of alternative hypotheses that were much more compelling than the so-called "official" story.

Anyway, cynicism is realism. Skepticism of the first, second, third, fourth and fifth estates is all not only warranted but required. I'm not a contrarian, just a rational guy with a love of information and a determination to minimise my own cognitive biases. Snowden already vindicated countless millions dismissed as "paranoid" (including everyone in advanced security engineering) and he was just one man. Carry on being skeptical, mate.

[1] That particular "administration", as you Yanks would call it, is well known to have told the public substantial lies to start a pointless war that killed over 100,000 people (which is a conservative estimate of the death toll from direct conflict alone). Why wouldn't the reality of 9/11 be along the same lines, potentially with similar motives?

Doctor estimating that half or the whole of NI population will get the virus, so certainly drastic steps will have to be taken.

No idea what makes him think we will get it as bad as that when other counties while worrying the percentage is still tiny. hes saying neatly a million people in NI will get it, there is no such evidence anywhere... yet.

America finally got shocked into action in the course of 24-48 hours, and we are probably 2 weeks behind Europe.

How the FA and UEFA haven't acted yet is criminal. How the fuck were their spectators at Leipzig and Anfield? Why is football still being played in Europe?

Cancel the season.
Move the Euros to 2021.
Government needs to step up and support small business and workers.

STOP. FUCKING. AROUND.

Back
Top Bottom