Could a new Manager (the right manager) change everything?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does that happen anywhere though? It's more of a question of the other way round I'd have thought, the chairman bending the manager to their will.
It's a long shot for sure. I just feel like Levy, as cold and calculated as he is, could get caught up in the moment if some one achieved what Poch did AND was persuasive at the right moments. I feel Poch wasn't that and maybe did was he was told until he got fed up.

We're a pretty shit squad at the moment, to be fair. I don't know what anyone could realistically be expected to achieve. We've wasted a lot of money and haven't really competently replaced, much less improved, a single position from the 16-18 squad. We've ended up in a place where one time bench options, like Moura, are required to play a song in the first XI.

Part of it is underinvestment, but most of it is just poor talent identification and development. We've spent shedloads on players like Sanchez, Lo Celso, and Ndombele which should be forming the spine of our next generation but instead are leading the downward charge.

I suspect a top manager could paper over the cracks and maybe get us in the hunt for 4th. But all that would do is give us an excuse not to strip this team to the bones and start over. Sell anyone worth two coins.

Imagine baulking at Bruno, then spending the same on GLC.

Barking madness.

How would Liverpool be doing right now if Salah decided to tell his teammates he dreams of playing for another team and wants to leave. Would Liverpool fans be calling for Klopp to be replaced?

Out problem is our best player has checked out - and refuses to be dropped and subbed in games.

The cunt bragged on Sky about wanting to join City whilst we were still in with a chance of top 4.

WTAF

Kane is poor, but us playing without a plan, tempo or passion is hardly his fault.

Him being completely demotivated is more than enough. Let's not make up shit though.

Liverpool? They would let someone else from their very decent squad play. Not to Sahas standard, but still the rest of the team would be the same.

WTAF

Kane is poor, but us playing without a plan, tempo or passion is hardly his fault.

Him being completely demotivated is more than enough. Let's not make up shit though.

Liverpool? They would let someone else from their very decent squad play. Not to Sahas standard, but still the rest of the team would be the same.

Its chicken and egg.

Is Kane poor because he isn't getting service; or is Kane poor because he is no longer putting in the effort to find space and fight for balls.

Our midfielders can't pass to a forward who stands still with 2 CBs on his shoulder.

Given that we have been linked with some elite strikers over the past couple of windows (Dybala, Vlahovic, Martinez) it suggests that replacing Kane has been our priority. Not getting his move this summer its clear he has lost patience.

Yes. It did so for Liverpool, Real after Benitez, BVB, Juve (funnily enough it was Conte) etc.

As the CL dust lifted we needed the RB, CB, LB, DM, AM,RW and CF positions upgraded or strengthened for depth. Today we still need all of those.

Therein lies the real problem.

This thread has been an interesting read, at this moment in time.

Some things have changed, but many have remained the same.

Some things have changed, but many have remained the same.
I'd say considering the time spent under Ange the amount of change we have seen is incredible.

A complete footballing philosophy change, a change of personnel in many positions in our starting 11, seemingly a change (or perhaps a revert) to our previous style of recruitment looking at younger potential star players.

Perhaps most importantly a change to the spine/core of our team which has been in place for the last 8 years or so with players like Kane, Lloris, Dier being the last bastion of the previous iteration of Spurs.

Not really sure I can lend much stock in the assumption that "some things have stayed the same" considering we are very much at the start of this appointment and journey. It's impossible to be completely different as a team and as an organisation overnight.

So the original question was whether the squad could do better with a better manager.
It did do better, Conte came in and got us in the CL, and was 3rd in the league when he had a meltdown and got sacked.

But lets look at that 21/22 squad as at October 21 when the question was asked.
Lloris
Gollini
Doherty
Reguilon

Romero
Sanchez
Royal
Rodon
Dier*

Sessegnon
Tanganga
Davies
PEH

Winks
Skipp
Son
Kane
Bergwjin
Moura
Ndombele
Clarke

I think the answer is no, that squad with any manager wasn't good enough and we've gone a long way to fixing it.

*Dier's not gone but I'd be surprised if he plays again now.

Back
Top Bottom