Cristian Romero

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but I have no issue with the players being fined and I think they need to shoulder some of the responsibility.

The world has been fighting with a global pandemic for the last 18 months where we’ve all had to live with certain restrictions and limitations. None of us have liked it, but we’ve got on with it. Being international professional footballers isn’t enough reason to decide the rules don’t apply as far as I’m concerned. I know it’s a great thing to play for your country, but that doesn’t trump a global pandemic.

My employer issued a notice before we broke up for the summer stating that if staff are planning to travel abroad it must not interfere with the return to school on 1st September and any staff missing work due to travel quarantine would face disciplinary action. I know of a few others schools and companies in my area that also did this. In my view this is no different. The club are their employers and told the players they didn’t want them to travel, but the players went anyway. That means they’re now going to miss 4 matches and be paid for two weeks where they’re doing sod all. They won’t be playing and they’ll only be doing minimal training. There’s then only two weeks until the next international break where we’ll potentially encounter the same problems again.
In that analogy fifa are head of the conglomerate and told them they should go. Like it or not presently fifa are the top dog, their shambles of the handling of the pandemic and wc may stop that soon though.

Just as Kane was allegedly fined for non availability they should be fined for not being available. Whilst it is Government regulations that is the problem, they know that and went anyway. No reason to pay them if they are not available.

The trouble is as I understand it, that all clubs are over ruled by FIFA refulations that say they have to release players to their national team if they are called up. I don't think Spurs had the legal power to tell them they couldn't go if they weren't going to be home in time to play at a certain point. And in reality it's no different to both of them getting a knock while they were away on international duty.

In that analogy fifa are head of the conglomerate and told them they should go. Like it or not presently fifa are the top dog, their shambles of the handling of the pandemic and wc may stop that soon though.

Yes, FIFA told the club's that they couldn't block the players from playing, but that doesn't mean the club can't have its own disciplinary procedures. Ultimately the players themselves could have made the decision not to travel, but they chose to go. They put their country before their club and made themselves unavailable.

Let's also not forget that originally this issue would have affected 50 Premier League players, but as often appears to be the case it's only Spurs in the shit again.

As someone already pointed out and I mentioned when this all first kicked off for Romero it's not a good way to start at a new club and it won't endear him to the fans.

Yes, FIFA told the club's that they couldn't block the players from playing, but that doesn't mean the club can't have its own disciplinary procedures. Ultimately the players themselves could have made the decision not to travel, but they chose to go. They put their country before their club and made themselves unavailable.

Let's also not forget that originally this issue would have affected 50 Premier League players, but as often appears to be the case it's only Spurs in the shit again.

As someone already pointed out and I mentioned when this all first kicked off for Romero it's not a good way to start at a new club and it won't endear him to the fans.
As someone said we knew these were international players. South americans have massive pride in playing for their countries. If we start stopping and fining players playing it could affect us signing players from that part of the world in the future. We need to just move on from this

It does mean that the punishment will probably be able to be appealed and won by the players, there are agreements with the Pfa and I very much doubt that international isn't covered. African Cup of nations is a good example, 4-5 games missed never fined as its a fifa tournament nothing can be done. Olympics we can stop and fine as its non fifa.

I hope he is happy with his decision to head off to Brazil. Who knows how long Dier will be out and Japhet will be suspended. Really fucked us on this one with Sanchez also out.

I was at the game and Romero was very good. Only one mistake I can remember.

Bright green boots, he isn't afraid to come out and play.

I'd like to see him, Dier and Sanchez in a 3.

Back
Top Bottom