Crystal Palace v. Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday, December 13, 2:15 PM GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Statistically speaking, that is how it works, and kind of how football works, ie more/better chances = more likely to win.

But is with all data/metrics it can always be contextualised.

And what you can say is, it’s not subject to bias or external influences (like keepers balletic saves etc).

You and I would probably both Would have said that we had the better chances yesterday, but the reality is we probably didn’t they just looked better because our shots were better and that their keeper made fancier saves.
Contextualised......you sound like Simon Jordan.

All these stats mean very little in the great scheme of things.
Shot from 35 yds , bounces 4 times and goes straight to the keeper....that is ON target
Shot from 20 yds hits the inside of the post , runs across the line and hits the other post and is then cleared.
That is OFF target.
Sonny got another assist yesterday with a 5 yd pass to Harry.
I see the top scorers list now has assists added.
Keeps the people at Opta in a job I suppose.

So basically your argument is our rivals can be as shit as they want, and drop as many points to shit teams as they want, because apparently they will go and win 12 on the spin at some point ?

Do you lot even hear yourselves?

It’s like a forum of Jamie Redknapps
Yeah that's exactly what I said you clown.

5fd6cd1dcebbc.jpg

Fucking picture is everywhere.

"Gloating?" (There's that spin again!)

We're happy because of what it mans to us.

They dropped points; ergo we're still top.

It's called a silver lining... A good thing.

Of course Palace is a more winnable on paper.....

One would also say Palace is also a tougher game on paper than Fulham. I guess that means our result was better than Liverpool's and that combined with us being above them should mean we ought to go there with no fear.
In any case I thought we deserved to beat Palace but also thought that Fulham were unlucky not to win it

Quietly confident of a win on Wednesday

BTW I still don’t think that Aurier committed a foul which led to their free kick for the goal which was in any case not taken from where the alleged offence occurred

Kevin Friend is a cunt in other words

In any case I thought we deserved to beat Palace but also thought that Fulham were unlucky not to win it

Quietly confident of a win on Wednesday

BTW I still don’t think that Aurier committed a foul which led to their free kick for the goal which was in any case not taken from where the alleged offence occurred

Kevin Friend is a cunt in other words

That's WH, Newcastle and CP then..... Lucky to not get fucked over against Brighton too... State of the officiating these days.

:avbnaa:

No disrespect, Blakey but this an old tired debate so I'll be brief...

We've all seen teams bang their proverbial heads against the wall, accumulate good XG and at the same time be of no overt bother to the defending team.

You seem to be misunderstanding the concept of X/G.

X/G isn’t assessing the end result, or the final action (the shot/header etc in this case), it’s quantifying and qualifying the chances created that leads to that final action and the probability of its outcome.

Bottom line for me is if our shots were "better" and we made their keeper work harder we were simply more dangerous.

Again, you are confusing the final outcome - retrospectively (and with the benefit of hindsight) - with what X/G is describing, which is the event that precedes that - at the time it happened.

To put it another way, you are confusing "what chance came closest to scoring" with "what chance is more likely to come closest to scoring".

X/G doesn't describe who was the better side, whatever that means, it describes whose chance creation is more likely to lead to a goal based on hundreds of thousands of similar events. It will never be perfect because humans aren't replicants and there are so many variables, but it's better - less biased - than human assessment which is influenced by emotion and bias.

You seem to be misunderstanding the concept of X/G.

X/G isn’t assessing the end result, or the final action (the shot/header etc in this case), it’s quantifying and qualifying the chances created that leads to that final action and the probability of its outcome.

Again, you are confusing the final outcome - retrospectively (and with the benefit of hindsight) - with what X/G is describing, which is the event that precedes that - at the time it happened.

To put it another way, you are confusing "what chance came closest to scoring" with "what chance is more likely to come closest to scoring".

X/G doesn't describe who was the better side, whatever that means, it describes whose chance creation is more likely to lead to a goal based on hundreds of thousands of similar events. It will never be perfect because humans aren't replicants and there are so many variables, but it's better - less biased - than human assessment which is influenced by emotion and bias.

You're misunderstanding original comment you found yourself responding to.

Regardless of it's devised purpose, it commonly gets (mis-)presented as a reflection on who was the better (more dangerous if you prefer) team....

Even so, I maintain that Palace weren't that threatening in the final 3rd.

So basically your argument is our rivals can be as shit as they want, and drop as many points to shit teams as they want, because apparently they will go and win 12 on the spin at some point ?

Do you lot even hear yourselves?

It’s like a forum of Jamie Redknapps

Odds are someone will do this, and that team will almost certainly go on and win the league.

Hopefully its us, because if it stays this tight there is very little chance of my heart holding up till the end off the season.

You're misunderstanding original comment you found yourself responding to.

Regardless of it's devised purpose, it commonly gets (mis-)presented as a reflection on who was the better (more dangerous if you prefer) team....

Even so, I maintain that Palace weren't that threatening in the final 3rd.

Just because it doesn't tally with your subjective opinion, doesn't mean it doesn't work or is being misrepresented.

Funny how these discussions about xG so rarely bring up Liverpool's title-winning season. They outperformed their expected points (based on xG/xGA for each match) by an extraordinary ~25 points. And in fact, on the xP table, Liverpool finished 12 pts behind Man City. But back here in the real world, they won the league comfortably, 18 pts clear. (FWIW, we finished 12th on the expected points table last season)

12 games in, we're outperforming our xP by ~6 pts. Extrapolate that out to the rest of the season and we'd outperform our xP by 19: still under Liverpool's 25 pts over xP last season!🤪

I get that people like to use xG/xGA as an indictment of Jose ball, but when the only two teams to win the title since 14/15 with the highest expected points are Man City and Chelsea (funnily enough, Jose's Chelsea), maybe.. just maybe.. we dont need to freak out every time the team puts up a lower xG than the opponent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(Don't know how to post screenshots here, so here's a link to the expected points stats EPL xG Table and Scorers for the 2020/2021 season | Understat.com)

I do not think we sat back after our goal and invited Palace. We were simply poor in transition and lost too many balls due to sloppy passings or Palace pressing.
With or without the ball, we committed more players up the pitch than say Gooners or City games

You’re spot on. In addition to being poor in transition and losing too many balls to sloppy passing, I think our players may have gotten a bit too overconfident because of how the game was going in those early stages.

Just because it doesn't tally with your subjective opinion, doesn't mean it doesn't work or is being misrepresented.

I don't understand your objection (mis-interpreatation?) here.... You don't think people blindly throw XG about in the name of who's the better team?

I think you're seeing it as an attack on stats rather than me pointing the finger at how some people deploy them.

Last edited:
Statistically speaking, that is how it works, and kind of how football works, ie more/better chances = more likely to win.

But is with all data/metrics it can always be contextualised.

And what you can say is, it’s not subject to bias or external influences (like keepers balletic saves etc).

You and I would probably both Would have said that we had the better chances yesterday, but the reality is we probably didn’t they just looked better because our shots were better and that their keeper made fancier saves.
I 100% support your stance on the own-team perspective bias (which is why my neutral eye was not surprised to find out that Palace led those numbers) but you're overselling what xG models are at this moment in time. The ultimate function of a perfect xG model would be what you say but we're far enough away from that point that 1.5 vs 1.1 is probably still inside the error margin, which is why I don't endorse xG's use as a single-game "who deserved to win?" type barometer.

I don't understand your objection (mis-interpreatation?) here.... You don't think people blindly throw XG about in the name of who's the better team?

I think you're seeing it is an attack on stats rather than me pointing the finger at how some people deploy them.
There are big problems with how people use xG. I'll die on that hill with you.

xG is awesome and I love it: it's the next big leap in quantitative analysis of football, the models are getting better all the time, and it has the potential to solve hitherto intractable problems. Anyone who claims that xG doesn't represent something meaningful doesn't sufficiently understand the underlying principles (which is actually entirely fair enough: they're not simple). The biggest clients of the top football analytics firms, whose major work includes modelling xG, are the clubs themselves! Clubs care about xG, even if some of the fans don't.

Regardless, I definitely think we could've used another few years of training and refining the models before we unleashed them so publicly to the point where MOTD is showing xG numbers without necessary context.

Overeagerness with this newfangled idea has hurt football discourse in some ways and actually caused reputational damage to xG itself as a concept. Our models aren't lining up well enough with what people are seeing (often when the people are correct and the models are not) so people are rejecting the models. And I can't say that's completely unfair, even if it is ultimately misguided.

Football is the ultimate butterfly effect.

Without a simple forgotten throw in or tackle 1 minute earlier, the goal may well not have occurred.

So where’s the cut off point in all this nonsense?

Back
Top Bottom