Crystal Palace Vs Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's not really the point I'm making. I'm not talking about the technical ability of Bale and where he himself is capable of playing. I am raising the question of what the best position for him is from a team perspective. If the consequence of his central role is that other players are playing out of position or are not giving the service they may get if he were on the wing them it's not so much about Bale's individual technical ability, but rather the impact his position of play has on the rest of the team. Facilitating his central role brings with it the potential to backfire if he gets injured and the club doesn't have the players in the squad who are capable of adapting to his central placement and the gap it causes if he's not playing.

I'm not saying this would apply to Bale at RM or another club. Really just looking at it from a THFC perspective based on our performances last year.

Who would be playing out of position w/ Bale in the CAM role ?

And I think that service would be just fine with the right pieces next to Bale.

But i get the gist of your argument. Bale needs to be put where the entire Spurs front 6 will be the most productive. I do agree w/ that.

Last edited:
If Bale is to start in the middle what was the point of purchasing Soldado? Might as well have spent that money on a winger then because Bale will just hog the ball himself. Quite frankly, the ingenuety and teamplay lvl required from a CAM is much higher than Bale has showed, ever. Yes Bale is creative and can do fantastic stuff with a ball, but he never showed any linkplay or much awerness when he played there last season. Basically until he slammed it in from 25yards + he was a detriment to our team and just another useless player like JD and Ade were for the most part. Compare his City match alone. Pre tactical change we as a whole AND he as an individual were utter crap. Then we started tinkering, he want to the left and started putting them on the backfoot. We then moved him to the right and BOOM! An assist and a goal in less than 20min, tells us all we really need to know tbh.

its funny how opinions on football can be so divided , everyone was wanking over Capoue but in defensive positioning he was pretty bad , likewise everybody disses Dembele for not being decisive enough and i heard some people say he's just a good dribbler while forgetting he has impressive interception and tackle stats. Not saying the first had a bad game and the second a good game but just shows what people excpect and appreciate from a player is very much dependant on your view of football.

If Bale is to start in the middle what was the point of purchasing Soldado? Might as well have spent that money on a winger then because Bale will just hog the ball himself. Quite frankly, the ingenuety and teamplay lvl required from a CAM is much higher than Bale has showed, ever. Yes Bale is creative and can do fantastic stuff with a ball, but he never showed any linkplay or much awerness when he played there last season. Basically until he slammed it in from 25yards + he was a detriment to our team and just another useless player like JD and Ade were for the most part. Compare his City match alone. Pre tactical change we as a whole AND he as an individual were utter crap. Then we started tinkering, he want to the left and started putting them on the backfoot. We then moved him to the right and BOOM! An assist and a goal in less than 20min, tells us all we really need to know tbh.
Lloris
Walker-Kaboul-Vertonghen-Rose
Sandro-Paulinho
Lennon-Bale-Chadli
Soldado
The great thing about playing Bale in the middle with two wingers either side is it pulls all the attention from the defenders on him, giving our wingers lots of space from which they can play it into Soldado to score. Or we can just pass to him and he can score.

Lloris
Sandro-Paulinho
Lennon-Bale-Chadli
Soldado
The great thing about playing Bale in the middle with two wingers either side is it pulls all the attention from the defenders on him, giving our wingers lots of space from which they can play it into Soldado to score. Or we can just pass to him and he can score.
And who will do that final linking from the central three to the wingers and striker? It won't be Bale, and I'm not sure Paulinho alone will be enough. Yes Sandro can chip in and as can the two CB's, but that's at a stretch as the CB's are so far away from the front four it runs the danger of turning into hoof-central. If it turns to always going through Paulinho to make something substantial we will be easy to shut down.

And who will do that final linking from the central three to the wingers and striker? It won't be Bale, and I'm not sure Paulinho alone will be enough. Yes Sandro can chip in and as can the two CB's, but that's at a stretch as the CB's are so far away from the front four it runs the danger of turning into hoof-central. If it turns to always going through Paulinho to make something substantial we will be easy to shut down.
I wouldn't be so critical, Vertonghen's assists for Demspey against Basel and for Bale against Swansea spring to mind. I was under the impression we would play a 4-3-3
Lloris

Paulinho-Sandro-Dembele

Bale-Soldado-Chadli (Willian-Soldado-Bale)

There we would have the invention from the midfield and Bale cutting inside helping out. He is a team player, just look at the number of chances he created last season. Over 70​

I wouldn't be so critical, Vertonghen's assists for Demspey against Basel and for Bale against Swansea spring to mind. I was under the impression we would play a 4-3-3
Lloris

Paulinho-Sandro-Dembele

Bale-Soldado-Chadli (Willian-Soldado-Bale)

There we would have the invention from the midfield and Bale cutting inside helping out. He is a team player, just look at the number of chances he created last season. Over 70​
What do they count as a chance created though? Is that a chance created for others or a chance carved for himself (ala speculative shot from range)

I
Knee injuries they usually ease you back in I would not be surprised if he does not start regulary until maybe 2nd half of the season

I think he could be back and playing well well before that mate. He got a decent run out for he U21s yesterday so he shouldn't be too far off.

@ Belgian Spur Belgian Spur How could Capoue have been bad defensively when he out intercepted three teams in 30mins?

because he was out of position a lot of times, his interceptions, passing play were good but as against Belgium i found him to be a bit over eager

but as i said all depends on views and above all i am only judging him on two times thirty mins , against Belgium he was very bad and this weekend he was good but nothing more , for me at least

Are you doubting his ability to assist

From a central position with his new found playstyle and ego, yes. From a wing position where he is has proven he can and still does to this day, not at all. That clip is two years old, his playstyle has changed drastically, he is much more egotistical and likely to go at it alone than he was before. As proved last year when he twated many a ball from speculative range into nothingness (granted he scored a fair few scorchers.) When played wide though it's much more natural to put a ball "into the mix" and he's got a fantastic cross on him so why not keep one of the most potent attacking threats we possess as an actual threat?

@ Belgian Spur Belgian Spur I can fully support the over-eagerness! But who wouldn't be on their debut. Think all of our new signings (Holtby included) need a bit more time before we see their true ability and nature.

@ Belgian Spur Belgian Spur I can fully support the over-eagerness! But who wouldn't be on their debut. Think all of our new signings (Holtby included) need a bit more time before we see their true ability and nature.

at least now we have the luxury of choice ... midfield seems to be very strong , maybe not very creative but its going to be hard to break through the wall we have their , all of them are top top tacklers , Capoue, Dembele, Sandro , Paulinho ...

From a central position with his new found playstyle and ego, yes. From a wing position where he is has proven he can and still does to this day, not at all. That clip is two years old, his playstyle has changed drastically, he is much more egotistical and likely to go at it alone than he was before. As proved last year when he twated many a ball from speculative range into nothingness (granted he scored a fair few scorchers.) When played wide though it's much more natural to put a ball "into the mix" and he's got a fantastic cross on him so why not keep one of the most potent attacking threats we possess as an actual threat?
He got two assists against Liverpool and against Swansea and against Inter last season, funny those were all for Vertonghen.

Back
Top Bottom