Dane Scarlett

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Scarlett Impresses Kane

Why was Kane Impressed ?
No pressure on the attacker is how I start with little kids
in all those practice moves we should have defenders (those defenders could be the coaches or players) put "light" "medium" or "heavy" pressure on the attacker otherwise where is the reality of the match day ? we are not talking about little kids these are pro footballers
Forgive me, but I think Spurs' coaching staff know how to run a training session.

Also, if one of the best players in the world is impressed, then that's a good thing, no?

I’d like to see him come on and play in the team without first eleven players. Get him on the pitch with Kane and son and see how he clicks. It’s pointless just giving him game time in games that mean nothing. We’ll only see how good he is when he’s got good players around him.

Yep.... Europe was a complete waste of time for him given the shitshow the rest of them served up.

when do you ever get that much space in the box ?
you don't that is why you "defenders" to put Light medium od heavy pressure on

we not coaching kids these are men
Ha, I see you gave a disagaree.

So you know more than our coaching team about how to train a player like Dane Scarlett?? I doubt that's true or you wouldn't be on the internet spouting nonsense.

Dane Scarlett frustration

The 18-year-old Tottenham striker has had to make do with minutes here and there under Antonio Conte since those Europa Conference League starts early in the season for Nuno Espirito Santo.

Physically you can see Scarlett has bulked up with his exposure week in, week out to first team training and working with Conte's fitness staff. He's already naturally far stronger looking than when he burst on to the scene as a 16-year-old in the Europa League last season under Jose Mourinho, becoming the youngest player to provide an assist in the competition since Kylian Mbappe.

This was a frustrating outing for Scarlett though as he stepped back into the U23s fold and turned out inside the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in a goalless draw that was a fair result, with both keepers making key saves.

Unprompted, Conte had praised Scarlett while answering a question about Son Heung-min just over a month ago, saying: "I'm seeing a lot of improvement today in [Dane] Scarlett honestly if I have to tell you. Seeing that this guy is improving a lot, he's only 17-years-old but I can tell you that he is a really important prospect for Tottenham.

"He has to be patient and work behind these very important players and continue to work in this way because about Scarlett, I can tell you that I see a brilliant future for him."

Patience is going to be key for the teenage forward because for all of his development with the first team behind the scenes, this is a season that has brought just a single goal for him at club level, with a strike against Oxford United in the EFL Trophy.

International football has been far kinder with 10 goals in 10 matches for England U19s, but for a striker who feeds off goals it will have been frustrating in that aspect. A more balanced split between first team and youth football may have proved more beneficial.

In this return to U23s football, Scarlett had few chances to impress and the service in to him was reminiscent of those early European performances this season when he was feeding off scraps. The key for Scarlett as he learns off the likes of Harry Kane and Son will be learning how to impact matches when he's not seeing enough of the ball.

There were a couple of efforts over the crossbar, including a header at the end of a well-timed run but ultimately he was outshone in attack by Spurs' tricky wingers Romaine Mundle and Yago Santiago, although neither were able to supply Scarlett with much in the way of ammunition.

For Scarlett, unless Conte decides otherwise this summer, football.london understands that the plan is to loan the teenage striker out next season to get him the minutes he needs to continue his development, particularly with Spurs expected to sign a striker to support Kane. Bournemouth are understood to have made an approach for Scarlett last summer but Spurs rejected that move because they wanted a guarantee of playing time.

Next season Tottenham are expecting to receive more approaches from Championship clubs, although a move to League One might suit the young player better at this age. Troy Parrott went straight into the Championship last season and struggled with Millwall but the Republic of Ireland international has really found his feet with MK Dons in League One this season and his development has come on leaps and bounds.

Spurs will have to select Scarlett's loan team carefully because for a player touted as a future star by both Conte and Mourinho, the next stage of his development is crucial.

He definitely needs to be going out on loan for regular minutes, he’ll learn and improve so much more that way I think. It’s great being in and around the first team squad, but that’s no substitute for proper playing time in my opinion.

He definitely needs to be going out on loan for regular minutes, he’ll learn and improve so much more that way I think. It’s great being in and around the first team squad, but that’s no substitute for proper playing time in my opinion.
I believe he was too young to go on loan this season.
Great exp for him being involved with the 1st team.
I would like to see him pre season but probs a loan is best for 2022-3.

A League 1 loan would be nice for him. Possibly League 2 just to ensure that he gets playing time. At his age I think that it is better for him to play regularly in a lower tier, than sitting on the bench at a Championship team. If he excells we can look to get him a new loan in January like we did for Etete.

Physically you can see Scarlett has bulked up with his exposure week in, week out to first team training and working with Conte's fitness staff

Patience is going to be key for the teenage forward because for all of his development with the first team behind the scenes, this is a season that has brought just a single goal for him at club level, with a strike against Oxford United in the EFL Trophy.

International football has been far kinder with 10 goals in 10 matches for England U19s.

In this return to U23s football, Scarlett had few chances to impress and the service in to him was reminiscent of those early European performances this season when he was feeding off scraps. The key for Scarlett as he learns off the likes of Harry Kane and Son will be learning how to impact matches when he's not seeing enough of the ball.

There were a couple of efforts over the crossbar, including a header at the end of a well-timed run but ultimately he was outshone in attack by Spurs' tricky wingers Romaine Mundle and Yago Santiago, although neither were able to supply Scarlett with much in the way of ammunition.

Next season Tottenham are expecting to receive more approaches from Championship clubs, although a move to League One might suit the young player better at this age. Troy Parrott went straight into the Championship last season and struggled with Millwall but the Republic of Ireland international has really found his feet with MK Dons in League One this season and his development has come on leaps and bounds.

Spurs will have to select Scarlett's loan team carefully because for a player touted as a future star by both Conte and Mourinho, the next stage of his development is crucial.

I think a season long loan is best for him now...
Preferably with a decent Championship side (or one of the relegated PL clubs) and maybe one in the South so we can keep regular tabs...

Do you think we pissed Norwich off too much at the weekend to ask them??

Didn't do Skipp any harm!

If not, Watford maybe...?

Preferably with a decent Championship side (or one of the relegated PL clubs) and maybe one in the South so we can keep regular tabs...

Think League one more likely, few southern teams in there to try and get a loan with.

I can't see him getting much game time at Norwich as long as they have Pukki (who is a 30 goals a season man in the Championship) and even if they lost him I doubt they would put all their promotion hopes on Dane Scarlett.

It's got to be League 1 or lower.

Back
Top Bottom