Daniel Baldini

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
Daniel BaldiniWindy, Bardi and Nathan attempt to provide some distraction, answering your questions and talking about Nathan's recent video about Mourinho.

Take care, friends.

Production by Nathan A Clark (Twitter @NathanAClark).

Intro music by David Lindmer (David Lindmer).

Artwork by Adam Gardner.

Follow on Twitter and Facebook @TheExtraInch.

Email us at [email protected].

For information regarding your data privacy, visit acast.com/privacy

Hi Fella's ( WindyCOYS WindyCOYS , Nathan, Bardy) please keep the pods coming, really appreciated at this time of footballing nutritional depletion.

Was interested to hear Nathan's take on the tactical evolution of Mourinho. I greeted his appointed with a similar mix of scepticism and intrigue as to what he could actually do with a squad like ours in a situation like ours, that I think Nathan felt (I think??).

He certainly would not have been my first (second, third, fourth, fifth etc) choice, but at the same time I had always held some respect for what he'd achieved and how he'd achieved it, I always knew there had been more to his methodology than just being a negative pragmatist. Had read bits and bobs about his tactics approach and influences (periodisation/Vitor Frade etc) but even within that was sceptical that this his approach to it - aggressive/get lead/passive/counter - had become overly formulaic and his interpretation was more cautious and pragmatic.

I think a slightly more proactive and much more efficient version is currently being utilised at Liverpool under Klopp/Lijnders.

But either way, I was prepared to see what Mourinho could do with our squad, as I believed it lacked not only the quality of any side he'd managed recently but also tactical intelligence, due to Poch prioritising athletic qualities over intelligence with signings like Sissoko, Aurier, Moura, Sanchez etc.

I agree we've seen some definite, reasonably good tactical tweaks from Mourinho at times, but defensively, organisationally and structurally we've been abysmal - are still conceding chances and goals at a shocking rate (last time I did a little piece on here our XGA had barely moved) and and I'm not sure how tactical approaches like we saw at Burnley even remotely could be excused - or worse, blamed on Ndombele (this was just bullshit Mourinho diversion playbook stuff).

Maybe this time out will offer Mourinho a chance to actually work with the players - and I appreciate he's inherited an unbalanced squad that lacks basic equipment, like a good footballing 6/DM or two.

PS
Is Nathan on TFC, be nice to interact and discuss some of his work/theories - especially now.

hello :mourbye:

Hi Fella's ( WindyCOYS WindyCOYS , Nathan, Bardy) please keep the pods coming, really appreciated at this time of footballing nutritional depletion.

Was interested to hear Nathan's take on the tactical evolution of Mourinho. I greeted his appointed with a similar mix of scepticism and intrigue as to what he could actually do with a squad like ours in a situation like ours, that I think Nathan felt (I think??).

He certainly would not have been my first (second, third, fourth, fifth etc) choice, but at the same time I had always held some respect for what he'd achieved and how he'd achieved it, I always knew there had been more to his methodology than just being a negative pragmatist. Had read bits and bobs about his tactics approach and influences (periodisation/Vitor Frade etc) but even within that was sceptical that this his approach to it - aggressive/get lead/passive/counter - had become overly formulaic and his interpretation was more cautious and pragmatic.

I think a slightly more proactive and much more efficient version is currently being utilised at Liverpool under Klopp/Lijnders.

But either way, I was prepared to see what Mourinho could do with our squad, as I believed it lacked not only the quality of any side he'd managed recently but also tactical intelligence, due to Poch prioritising athletic qualities over intelligence with signings like Sissoko, Aurier, Moura, Sanchez etc.

I agree we've seen some definite, reasonably good tactical tweaks from Mourinho at times, but defensively, organisationally and structurally we've been abysmal - are still conceding chances and goals at a shocking rate (last time I did a little piece on here our XGA had barely moved) and and I'm not sure how tactical approaches like we saw at Burnley even remotely could be excused - or worse, blamed on Ndombele (this was just bullshit Mourinho diversion playbook stuff).

Maybe this time out will offer Mourinho a chance to actually work with the players - and I appreciate he's inherited an unbalanced squad that lacks basic equipment, like a good footballing 6/DM or two.

PS
Is Nathan on TFC, be nice to interact and discuss some of his work/theories - especially now.

Sorry for the late reply, have you seen this video I put together a few weeks ago

Where do you see, if any, Mourinho's evolution as a tactician?

I didn't see much evidence at ManU and I've certainly not seen anything evolutionary (or revolutionary) at Spurs? or maybe he doesn't need to evolve, just get his tried and tested methodology into gear?

Sorry for the late reply, have you seen this video I put together a few weeks ago

Thanks for that. I had actually watched it previously.

To be honest, I would have liked to see you analyse and compare his ManU side with previous sides (Chelsea 2015 eg), as this was his latest body of work (prior to us obviously). Personally I was very unimpressed with his apparent lack of tactical evolution - it was very formulaic - very Mourinho (as you touch on in that video) generally start aggressive, try to get the lead, shell and counter. Teams seemed to figure this out, realised if they could ride out the first 20 minutes, the game became much more of a lottery, and PL teams had better attacking quality themselves now, and could make that lottery pay - and at ManU he didn't have the clever players - or Hazard - that he'd had at Chelsea (and two other coaches won the league with the bulk of thatChelsea team as well).

He continually tried to use Pogba in a double pivot - when it's blatantly obvious he's best as an 8 in a CM3 with at least one busy grafter next to him.

At Chelsea in 2015 he could concentrate on the organisation and structure and what everyone has to do when they lost the ball, and they had a great blend of clever, talented players like Fabregas, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, and athletic/aggressive/talented Matic, Costa who could capitalise on that structure when in attacking transitions.

It seems to me that Mourinho's ethos is heavily reliant on individual attacking talent (Chelsea both spells, Inter, Real) that he allows to kind of free form in offensive transition but drills hard the defensive transition.

Even in his first year at Utd he had Ibrahimovic to up the IQ and presence, with a pre alienated Pogba pulling strings. Once he lost those two (one physically the other mentally)next season it all went to shit. They lacked the brains and talent to unlock obdurate opponents in that first 20 minute aggressive phase and teams (now with more resources) often had the players to cause them problems - especially with Pogba in a CM2 - 4231.

Thanks for that. I had actually watched it previously.

To be honest, I would have liked to see you analyse and compare his ManU side with previous sides (Chelsea 2015 eg), as this was his latest body of work (prior to us obviously). Personally I was very unimpressed with his apparent lack of tactical evolution - it was very formulaic - very Mourinho (as you touch on in that video) generally start aggressive, try to get the lead, shell and counter. Teams seemed to figure this out, realised if they could ride out the first 20 minutes, the game became much more of a lottery, and PL teams had better attacking quality themselves now, and could make that lottery pay - and at ManU he didn't have the clever players - or Hazard - that he'd had at Chelsea (and two other coaches won the league with the bulk of thatChelsea team as well).

He continually tried to use Pogba in a double pivot - when it's blatantly obvious he's best as an 8 in a CM3 with at least one busy grafter next to him.

At Chelsea in 2015 he could concentrate on the organisation and structure and what everyone has to do when they lost the ball, and they had a great blend of clever, talented players like Fabregas, Oscar, Willian, Hazard, and athletic/aggressive/talented Matic, Costa who could capitalise on that structure when in attacking transitions.

It seems to me that Mourinho's ethos is heavily reliant on individual attacking talent (Chelsea both spells, Inter, Real) that he allows to kind of free form in offensive transition but drills hard the defensive transition.

Even in his first year at Utd he had Ibrahimovic to up the IQ and presence, with a pre alienated Pogba pulling strings. Once he lost those two (one physically the other mentally)next season it all went to shit. They lacked the brains and talent to unlock obdurate opponents in that first 20 minute aggressive phase and teams (now with more resources) often had the players to cause them problems - especially with Pogba in a CM2 - 4231.

TTT TTT

Remember this?

Back
Top Bottom