Daniel Levy

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

14th
9th
5th
5th
11th
8th
4th
5th
4th
5th with a record of 72 points

These are our league positions since ENIC took Spurs into private ownership in 2003. ENIC and Daniel Levy has taken us from mid table nobodies to a top club. We have broken into the top4 that people assumed was impossible. On the journey, there's been some bad luck as well. Lasagnegate, Chelsea winning the CL, 72 points not being enough for the first time in ages etc. Not to mention that Chelsea and Man City all of a sudden had billions of money to spend while Levy had to run a business properly.

We've also got the best training facilities in England, and although it's taking much longer than planned we're likely to get a brand new stadium as well. We would have all wanted to see the stadium ready next season, but Levy is careful not to put us in a situation we cannot handle financially.

Considering how far we've come since the Sugar years, I find it amazing that he gets 10 times more criticism than praise. Levy has made plenty of mistakes, but he seems to have learnt from them. I would have confronted him with anger if I saw him on the streets during the Stratford saga and probably last January as well, but looking at the bigger picture I certainly wouldn't have swapped him for any other chairman.

Just thought I would take a look at the numbers.

In the 17 years since ENIC took over THFC have averaged 6.6 place in the Prem. If you discount the first 3 seasons when he was dealing with the shambles he took over from Sugar that goes up to 5.7 place. Ergo, firmly established us as a top 6 side.

In the previous 14 seasons we averaged 10.1 and previous 17 season avg was 9.3. Firmly mid table fodder.

On top of that we are on a solid financial footing, have the £850mn NPD, a great young manager, the best (English) striker of his generation and a nucleus of the England team.

Levy isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination but anyone that thinks he has been bad for Spurs is deluded.

Of the two players you mentioned no way was we getting de Jong and as for grealish not be able to get that over the line was down to levy fucking about and the reason I know this is because I know someone quite close to him and his family.
As for agenda's that is total bollocks mate everyone has his or her opinion on how they see the club run or lack of investment etc, the same as how you see everything isn't a problem which is your perogative but certainly no agenda.

There are 100% agendas with certain fans mate, you know it and I know it.

As for my opinion, when I say that under Levy we have gone from a mid table team to one that has been in the semi finals of the Europa League and then semi finalists of the Champions League that isn't my opinion, that is fact.

Can you honestly say that we aren't in a better position now than we were when Levy & ENIC took over? If people say about the time taken to get there I'll merely point to where the likes of Chelsea, Man U & Woolwich find themselves these days as a benchmark for how it's easier said than done.

I don't think Levy has been a miraculous director, but I see far more worse run clubs than better run clubs than ours and that's more than good enough for me. That hefty money the league got through TV rights, most teams have spent it yet we haven't. Simple business principles tells me that this leaves us in a healthier position than others who chucked money at signings that haven't made them a better team than we are based on standings. Only Liverpool have surpassed us but even them their owners have loaned them close to £250m which will need to get paid back.

Could Levy have done more, occasionally yes he could have but I see our stature as a football club these days compared to my earlier memories of the club and I'm thankful for the organic development I've witnessed and how it's kept our roots real. Nothing has been fabricated because of a wealthy businessman, it's all been achieved because of who we are as a football club and I hope it continues that way, even if it takes longer to achieve genuine, tangiable success

Last edited:
I don't think anyone could have a go at Levy for his business accumine but Pochettino has transformed both his work and the club.
The AVB years, the Redknapp sacking, Jol finding out he was fired at half time, the massive obvious wholes in our squad we never used to fix during transfer windows, the haggling over targets and missing them because of it like Moutinho etc.

Poch has fixed almost every flaw I had with Levy.

1. No money, doesn't matter Poch works with youth players and current ones as well to dramatically improve them.

2. Sum of our parts, his coaching means we operate as a team so that we often beat theoretically superior opponents such as Man City.

3. Identity, we now have a clear system and style of play which runs throughout the club.

4 ruthless, clear deadwood and even players who just don't cut it to make space for new players.

We have a manager who enables us to operate at the top level on a shoestring budget relative to other top 6 teams. This means our players are worth more, want to stay and we bring in more money such as CL funds and sponsorship.

Levy has done really well recently but Poch has been his biggest coup. We now look like a smooth professional operation where as before we looked like a trigger happy, reactive club. Levy can now get on with doing what he is good at and delivering the stadium.
I agree with all the stuff you've written but not how it's presented.

Poch has benefitted from what was being built by the club, no manager before Poch has had such facilities to support (training ground) what they need to get right on the pitch. He still took over a team at the top end of the table too.

We had a very clear identity before under Redknapp (swashbuckling but tactically and mentally weak) and AVB (solid but boring and again mentally weak).

The narrative around Levy being trigger happy is also shite as far as I'm concerned. You praise Poch for being ruthless but that is exactly what Levy is by sacking managers, no different to Poch sacking players. He got rid of managers for all the right reasons and with each change improved the team in some form or another, the trend has always been upward and with every sacking we have improved in some measure or another.

I hated how we got rid of Jol but Levy's ambition couldn't be faulted as he had just hired the Real Madrid Manager, his decision was rewarded with a Cup (our last one!). Absolutely right to get rid of Ramos due to position in the table, replaced with Redknapp who moved us up the table and got us CL football. Absolutely right for him to be fired, he wanted out the club to manage England (just like Poch, if you're not on board, then fuck off). AVB made us hard to beat for the most part, our highest win percentage, but at the price of the dullest football on the planet, he was put under pressure to make our football more attractive, he failed and he fucked himself off as he wasn't able to have us playing attractive football and winning football (for me this was the first time I began to really believe that Levy is Tottenham, he has made reference to the importance of our style of play that we demand, I loved hearing this).

Everything I have seen so far demonstrates two men that respect each other immensely, enjoy working together and are on the same page on what they want to achieve. Levy has got the man he has wanted since taking the running of club over and he looks to have him wrapped in cottonwool, promoted him, given him more powers, more money, longest contract for a manger in the history of the club and a glowing statement on his performance, something Levy has never done before. Both mens ambitions are being realised and both men are working on a plan to achieve this ambition. Let's be honest none of us believed Poch's comments on his first Tottenham interview when he said he wanted to build a team to win the League. Quite an amazing statement to make back then but it wouldn't have been said were it not sanctioned by the club. This is what both men are trying to achieve and i'm still pinching myself that it is clear this isn't marketing bullshit, it's a genuine ambition.

Reading the anti levy crowd is depressing. It comes down to short term versus long term thinking. I'm just glad you basic bitches calling for levy's departure are not in positions of responsibility in the club.

Of course you're right that is progression, but is that down to Daniel Levy, or the manager he arguably struck gold by appointing, who has delivered everything you mentioned above?
"struck gold", Levy has been looking for that manager for well over a decade, like him or not-he has always tried to put the club first and make us successful. He tried diff set ups within the club with Commolli and Arnesan and paid a shitload of money out for managers he thought could push us on - Santini, Ramos, AVB, Jol, Redknapp-he tried diff styles, he had tried everything and then we get Poch and he finally got his man-it wasn't luck, it was actively seeking the right man.
I think its a match made in heaven and they really do respect each other.

I love Poch and he has delivered in spades on the pitch but what Levy has done off the pitch is quite spectacular and tbh its the most meteoric rise of a football club in europe over the last 17 odd years without selling our souls and tradition to the highest oil rich bidder.
I really don't know how anyone can argue otherwise.

You spelt "merging" wrong
:lamelaaghh:
LONDON TOTTENHAMMERS FC.

vertonghen2.gif

4 more players and rebuild is done. Levy dod good job. He brought Sessegnon, Lo Celso and Ndombele, very talented players. Now he brought in another talent from PSV.

We need Kane back-up, DM, CB and right back. We'll get there.

In top 10 richest clubs. That's not possible without new stadium. Be grateful. Don't moan. Don't be like Woolwich.

We'll win the league soon.

It's not rocket science! Send him on loan to them, pay half his wages, he starts scoring goals for the spammers (he's on loan after all), meanwhile we are double fucked if Kane gets injured. Levy does loads of questionable stuff but this is not one of those things

Jesus Christ. Not even 24 hours after a monumental moment in this club’s history & the knives are back out for Levy in some quarters.
Give it a fucking rest.
I’m no Levy lover for many reasons, but the progress is undeniable and he got in one of the best managers in football (after the revolving door which WAS a farce) who has been with us 5 years now. There is stability within the club and last night was another stepping stone.
Why not just enjoy the journey??

I think there's a chance he agreed to it, but on the premise we brought in a replacement. And if this wasn't the case and he just willingly agreed to weaken his squad mid season then he's just as culpable as anyone else.
Thing is Dembele was the one that wanted to leave. It wasn't Levy pushing for a sale. It was Dembele himself. He didn't feel that his body held up anymore to the PL and CL tempo. This was a long time servant asking to exit on his terms and Poch and Levy both allowed it.

Hindsight is 20/20 but at the end of the day Dembele was the one asking to move, and the club allowed it instead of risking souring relations with a senior player.

Back
Top Bottom