Danny Rose

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This one's really got me. Before last summer Rose was my favourite player. I saw him turn out for Bristol City on loan a couple of years before the goal against Woolwich and he was shit. Proper shit. Weak, lacking in technique and just generally shit. To see him turn into the rampaging, tenacious little ball of fury and anger stampeding down the left in the 2 seasons before last was incredible. I felt he embodied our shift in culture under Pochettino. I've even got an old pair of his signed boots upstairs.

Last summer changed all that. Danny, outwardly who seemed to represent the collective at Spurs, made a decision that had the potential to threaten all that. It reinforced a media shtick and probably gave creedance to the advice being given, and listened to, by players like Toby. It was a totally selfish act, and as fans of the club we reacted the way we should. Support on the pitch, but acknowledge that a bridge had been burned.

Fast forward another 12 months to another interview and I'm not sure the motivations for Danny have drastically changed. It is so important young men talk about mental health. We've taken great strides in removing the stigma around it in recent years. When I was first treated for depression I was handed a bottle of pills and told it would be ok. A few years later when being treated for anxiety I underwent CBT and was asked how I was, in 17 different ways. The point is, any mainstream exposure to the prevalence and 'normality' of mental health issues is good. Especially eminating from an environment that doesn't cultivate an empathetic culture.

My problem lies with the fact that Danny didn't do this interview to help aid an understanding of mental health issues, or even to give context to issues last season. He did this interview to widen the gap even further between him and his club. I recognise the stage Danny finds himself in, I spent a lot of my life pointing the finger at everyone but myself and when the blackness is so consuming it can be difficult to do otherwise. The difference being - I was 18 and in and out of jobs and Danny is 28 and has all the support and infrastructure around him one could need. I'd hate to come across as dismissive of depression who are outwardly successful in life, however I do not accept that a man with the resources that Rose has, would feel that going to a newspaper before speaking to his parents, club medical team, teammates or friends would be the best course of action if it were not for an alterior motive.
Really good post there. It’s certainly got me thinking (rare these days)
It doesn’t stack up that he would go rogue to a newspaper to get those things off his chest, knowing that it would draw enormous publicity. I can get that he may not have been thinking straight, but to lay yourself at the mercy of the press and the public ahead of family, friends & employers (who will then find out through the same newspaper as the rest of the world) just seems inexplicable unless there are other considerations at work.

I was diagnosed 6 years ago and have a few real shitty bouts a year. Similar time to when I joined this forum as it goes. Coincidence?

But seriously, Depression isn't a disease that takes you out of your mind. It's not psychosis. As has been said, millions and millions across the world function with it. Churchill probably the most famous example. It is not an excuse for bad behaviour.

Fair enough and I hope you are coping with it
(A good cunt off must help)

All I’m saying is that this illness might affect people in different ways and Danny was never the sharpest pencil in the box to start with and anyone who reads that rag should take a long hard look at themselves

Fair enough and I hope you are coping with it
(A good cunt off must help)

All I’m saying is that this illness might affect people in different ways and Danny was never the sharpest pencil in the box to start with and anyone who reads that rah should take a long hard look at themselves
Yea, you learn how to tackle it.

See, this is where we differ. I feel Danny is actually quite switched on. Which is why I'm so disappointed.

D'you know what, Depression is a cunt

It does utterly stupid things to us, and totally fucks you up in some very very strange ways. I'm just on the flip side of my semi-regular battles, and the way I continually sabotage myself and convince myself of how noone thinks like me when I am utterly on the slide to the depths, but that my way of thinking is perfect rational, the rage I embody, the isolationism, the physical symptoms

And yet I am also someone who spent 4 years training to be a psychologist, and the son of two mental health professionals, so clearly I should have all the coping mechanisms....

You do the most irrational and random things. Small things. Big things. Thoughts occupy your head from 'I'm worried I'll drop my child over our bannister' every time I pick her up when in a depressive period to 'what would it feel like if I went headlong into that other car at 60mph'

And when you come out the other side, and your moods flatten to normality and you wonder why the fuck you thought that, why were you so angry.... You recognise the triggers, you avoid them

Then you forget what it was like when the black dog last visited you, time passes, and suddenly you notice that dog in the corner of the room again and you realise you have been in a shit mood for 6 months and the slide is already in full swing again

Sorry, a ramble. But while everyone's fight with clinical depression is unique, there are things that are the same, and trust me if Danny was depressed last summer, especially that deep into an injury, he would not have even processed how what he was doing was so self-sabotaging to himself and the regard others had in him.

So ill give him a pass on this, but if only because I do know what he goes through, although my dramas only get played out in front of my clients and family, and not the entire world

It does utterly stupid things to us, and totally fucks you up in some very very strange ways. I'm just on the flip side of my semi-regular battles, and the way I continually sabotage myself and convince myself of how noone thinks like me when I am utterly on the slide to the depths, but that my way of thinking is perfect rational, the rage I embody, the isolationism, the physical symptoms

And yet I am also someone who spent 4 years training to be a psychologist, and the son of two mental health professionals, so clearly I should have all the coping mechanisms....

You do the most irrational and random things. Small things. Big things. Thoughts occupy your head from 'I'm worried I'll drop my child over our bannister' every time I pick her up when in a depressive period to 'what would it feel like if I went headlong into that other car at 60mph'

And when you come out the other side, and your moods flatten to normality and you wonder why the fuck you thought that, why were you so angry.... You recognise the triggers, you avoid them

Then you forget what it was like when the black dog last visited you, time passes, and suddenly you notice that dog in the corner of the room again and you realise you have been in a shit mood for 6 months and the slide is already in full swing again

Sorry, a ramble. But while everyone's fight with clinical depression is unique, there are things that are the same, and trust me if Danny was depressed last summer, especially that deep into an injury, he would not have even processed how what he was doing was so self-sabotaging to himself and the regard others had in him.

So ill give him a pass on this, but if only because I do know what he goes through, although my dramas only get played out in front of my clients and family, and not the entire world
What a brutally honest, brave and brilliant post.
Thank you.

Magnificent post. Well said.

And I hope your own battles are ultimately successful.

Of course he could just be lying.

Benefit of the doubt though. Good post. The weird thing is that I’m pretty sure I’m in the middle of one of those self-destructive manic periods right now, but I can’t seem to snap out of it.

I feel that post man. Absolutely nailed it...

...which fucks my perspective up. Maybe I'm being too harsh and on face value.

Your post has made me think maybe I'm all fucked up the way I look at Danny now.

Well said I really hope you lick the depression.

Thank you everyone for your kind words. Mine's definitely a lifelong battle, but therapy techniques get better every time I go back for counselling, so here's hoping I at least have a leash on it now

And for anyone reading this who this rings a bell for - reach out for help, for someone to talk to - it helps, and will help you find your path to control again

I feel that post man. Absolutely nailed it...

...which fucks my perspective up. Maybe I'm being too harsh and on face value.

Your post has made me think maybe I'm all fucked up the way I look at Danny now.

But maybe you’re not and that’s my point we just don’t fucking know and I have my moments too when you wake up in the morning and have to make a huge effort to get out of bed
Then when you eventually do the slightest thing winds you up

It’s brilliant how we can all exchange views on this topic though

This thread is quite the read. In summary, much angst and argument as people clearly struggling to articulate and reconcile Rose’s actions and words. Then Parko Parko and Dubaijim Dubaijim lay it all out with some eloquent and insightful posts. Actually made me feel good after reading through, nice journey - thanks guys.

My 2p: Rose doesn’t want to be at Spurs anymore, which I’m gutted about as I think on song he’s one of the best in the world. Contrary to an earlier post, I actually don’t think the lad’s that bright, and he’s been manipulated into the situation he’s in now, which is pretty appalling...but not that surprising for the British media. In years to come he’ll regret this saga, and I’m sure he’ll drop Poch a line to apologise and I’m equally sure Poch will be magnanimous in his response.

Hope he gets well and has a belter of a World Cup. Go on fella

I really feel for all of you who have had to deal with mental health issues. I don't even pretend to understand what you have to deal with, and I have the utmost respect for those who seek out help and manage this condition.

Back
Top Bottom